• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

The Dark Knight - slight spoilers

Started by batmite, August 01, 2006, 09:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

wraith1701

Quote from: Bryancd on August 19, 2008, 11:58:41 AM
I heard he doesn't like kittens!!!

I love kittens...

They taste just like chicken. ;)

Bryancd

Meds

Heretic........ take his furry feet away. ;)

Geekyfanboy

The Dark Knight Updates
Source: ComingSoon.net
August 29, 2008

Counting inflation, Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight has now officially surpassed Spider-Man to become the biggest comic book movie of all time. The Christopher Nolan sequel has reached $492.689 million domestically while Spider-Man hit a total of $491.952 when you look at the inflated number ($403.7 million without inflation).

Looking at the worldwide numbers, Variety says The Dark Knight will reach $900 million this weekend:

Crossing the $400 million milestone will place "The Dark Knight" in a club with only 29 other films. What's equally impressive about the sixth Batpic is that it's first in the series to generate a blockbuster number outside the U.S. "Batman Begins" generated the previous high number with a relatively modest $166 million.

The U.K. has led the way for "Dark Knight" with $86 million, followed by Australia with $40 million, Mexico with $25 million, Brazil with $19 million and South Korea with $18.6 million. With Germany in its second weekend and France in its third, and worldwide grosses going past $900 million this weekend, the Batpic may have enough firepower to become only the fourth film to hit $1 billion in combined foreign and domestic box office (after "Titanic," the third "The Lord of the Rings" and the second "Pirates of Caribbean").

And did you participate in the viral marketing campaign for the movie that was created by 42 Entertainment? If so, you'll enjoy this interview with the company's CEO Susan Bonds and CCO Alex Lieu.

Trekkygeek

I finally watched "Dark Knight" last night and was expecting the best film of the year. Boy was I disappointed. It wasn't a bad film but there has been so much hype for this movie that I thought I was going to be glued to the screen. In my opinion the film was too long and not tight enough. I didn't like the character of Rachel and when Joker fawned over her beauty, i wondered if he was in need of spectacles, or perhaps he was..... joking.
Heath Ledger was without doubt the best thing in the film for me. What a performance and the introductary scene with the pencil magic act just set his character up nicely. Two face was okay but I just felt sorry for him really, and perhaps he should have been used for a third movie.

I thought the action scenes were few and far between and the Bat Bike was just a silly Idea, no practicality and his cape would soon get caught up in it.
All in all I was quite disappointed with "Dark Knight". In my opinion it was far inferior to "Begins" and suffered from way too much hype. I believe that if Ledger hadn't died, the film would have opened to far less fuss and expectation. For me, "Ironman" is the best comic book adaptation I have seen this year probably followed by "The Incredible Hulk". "Dark Knight" limps in at third place.
Put it this way. I have seen "Begins" three or four times since buying it, I doubt I'll watch this film too many more times.
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Rico

It's always a problem when hype slips into and invades your opinion.  One of the reasons I try very hard to see things as soon as I can - especially big movies like this in the theater.  Oh, and I think you will lose a lot just watching this on your TV at home and not in the theater.  It will lose a lot of it's impact.

I thought it was a solid movie.  Length in films never really bothers me if I think what they are showing adds to the story and the characters.  But, I will say while I think this is a very good film it wasn't (at least for me) quite as incredible as some people seemed to say.  I will say I think Heath Ledger was incredible.

Trekkygeek

It's funny you mention hype Rico and hearing others opinions. I had heard this was a great film and although I didn't think it was terrible, I was a little let down. Now, on the other hand, "Kingdom of The Crystal Skulls" was pretty much panned by the critics and I was expecting to hate this film, I thought I was going to get another "Temple Of Doom" but I got another "Last Crusade". I really enjoyed this 4th installment even though it was a cheesefest. It was so much fun and I came away really satisfied.

I also don't have a problem with lengthy films, It's just that "Dark Knight" was overly long, the film could have a
had 15 ins cut from it without suffering. Indeed, it would probably have tightened it up somewhat. It's such a pity Ledger died. What a performance.
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Rico

Yeah the hype or chatter around a movie can work both ways.  I agree on Indy - it's not nearly as bad as many critics and others said - at least in my view.  And "The Dark Knight" is the reverse for many.  Was called the second coming by some, and it's just a darn good film.  At least for me.

Trekkygeek

With you there Rico. I'll probably give it a couple of weeks and try again.