• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

The Mummy 3

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 22, 2007, 08:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locutus

There is a wealth of different mummy legends. There's no reason these flicks couldn't have two or three movies per story arc, and deal with just different mummy legends.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Geekyfanboy

I read  this on the Slice of Sci Fi website...

Fraser Has Old Love Interest With a New Face For “Mummy 3?

Several weeks ago on one of our Slice of SciFi shows we reported that Rachel Weisz opted out of the next Mummy flick in order to star in two other movie vehicles. Brenden Fraser also was reluctant to return, but when Universal Pictures offered him a paycheck that would put him in the category of one of the highest payed actors in Hollywood, he signed on to the project.

Now, Slice has learned that veteran actress Maria Bello (”A History of Violence,” “Thank You For Not Smoking”) will be Fraser’s wife and love interest in the film. Bello will portray Evelyn Carnahan O’Connell, the same character played by Weisz in the first two installments of the high grossing Mummy films ($830 million to date in gross ticket sales).

This time around she and Fraser set out on an adventureous trek to China with their young-adult son, played by Luke Ford. They are there to investigate the Buddhist conclaves in the Himalayas and to study the forbidden mummy tombs located in China. They soon find themselves doing battle with a mummy able to change his shape at will, whom they discover to be none other than a cursed Chinese emperor. Jet Li will portray the mummy emperor while the beautiful Michelle Yeoh plays the wizard who placed the mummy curse on him.

I'm not so happy that they opited to replace the actress instead of just writing the charcter out. But I will reserve my judgment until I see the movie.

Locutus

I agree, they should have just written her out. But Bello is a good actress. I loved her in Assault on Precinct 13 (even if the flick was a bit flawed) and think she'll do a good job in an action role. But like you, STF5, I wish she could have been a different character. Wouldn't it have been cool to see Frasier's character, whose wife is hurt and in a hospital bed, or has died, struggling with that while on an adventure with a different woman? That would add some facets to an admittedly 1 dimensional franchise.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Rico

Darth Gaos

Wow, that does look pretty cool.  I love pretty much anything with Jet Li in it though.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Ktrek

That looks awesome! I can't wait!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

iceman

I definetly will see this movie.

Rico

moyer777

what an incredible trailer!  The CGI looks pretty good.  This should be a decent movie.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Ktrek

This just came out on DVD today and I bought a Blu-Ray copy. Because of all the bad hype, including some on this site, I did not go see this at the theater. However, after having seen it I wish I had. I loved the film! It is so much better and far more creative than the last Indy film. I think peoples opinions about the last Indiana Jones film are clouded by romanticism over a character, and an actor, who are past their prime. This film was a whole lot of fun and although I loved the first two films this is now my favorite. Great sfx, good story, corny in-jokes, lots of action and a great mummy! What more could you want?

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Bad hype?  Here??  Well, I liked it.  Not more than Indy, but it was a fun movie and better than the second Mummy.  I still like the first one the best.

jedijeff

I think like the Indy Movie, people views on this are mixed, some liked it, others not so much. I thought it was ok, my Wife was disappointed, as this was the movie she was most looking forward for the summer. It did not fair very well on rotten tomatoes, as it had a lower rating then it probably deserved, but a low rating non the less.