• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by Geekyfanboy, September 10, 2010, 10:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

I heard about this at comic con but since I'm not into Zombies I didn't pay any attention.. but after watching the trailer.. this might be a pretty cool series.

Zombies and lots of them. Kicking the series off with a 90-minute episode on Halloween, The Walking Dead  is from Frank Darabont and is based on the Robert Kirkman comic book. According to the AMC press release, the series "tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home."

The series stars Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes, along with Sarah Wayne Callies, Jeffrey DeMun, Jon Bernthal and Laurie Holden. Six episodes have been ordered for the first season.

AMC's The Walking Dead Trailer: Show starts Halloween Night 10/31/2010

Blackride

Love Zombies! Well when they arent trying to eat me!
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Feathers

What's this with Brits playing Americans in all these series?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Blackride

Quote from: Feathers on September 10, 2010, 10:30:18 AM

You mean to tell me they are not brits? I feel violated!
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Geekyfanboy

Because they want to work :)

Feathers

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on September 10, 2010, 10:37:46 AM

True...OK, rephrase the question...Why do US series employ Brits to play Americans? Don't you have any American actors? (I mean look at poor old Hugh Laurie having to work with that accent all the time... ;))

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Jobydrone

The comic is my number one favorite currently ongoing series.  I can't wait for the show.  If you watch, all I can say is don't get too attached to any of the characters. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

orangegorn

Oh this is crazy!  I pretty much dislike the horror genre, but I love ZOMBIES!  Go figure.  I've never read the comic series but this looks like it will be fun.  Going to give it a try for sure.  Thanks for posting, Geekyfanboy!   

ori-STUDFARM

Quote from: Feathers on September 10, 2010, 10:54:02 AM
Quote from: Geekyfanboy on September 10, 2010, 10:37:46 AM

True...OK, rephrase the question...Why do US series employ Brits to play Americans? Don't you have any American actors? (I mean look at poor old Hugh Laurie having to work with that accent all the time... ;))

Cheap foreign labour! We employ the Eastern European people and the US employs us. I'm guessing the US is employed by Australia....or maybe Japan?

Rico

This looks really good and pretty amazing for even cable TV to go all out like this.  I've always heard great things about the comic series but haven't read any of it - yet.  Now I'm torn about whether I start reading it before the series or not.  I'm not a huge zombie fan but this looks really interesting.  AMC is quietly and slowing taking over the airwaves with some great original programming.

wraith1701

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on September 10, 2010, 11:34:36 AM
The comic is my number one favorite currently ongoing series.  I can't wait for the show.  If you watch, all I can say is don't get too attached to any of the characters. 

The comic is incredible; it's hard to believe that it's written by the same guy who does Invincible.  Not the most upbeat comic series, but the suspense is almost addictive.
Quote from: Rico on September 18, 2010, 07:33:04 AM
This looks really good and pretty amazing for even cable TV to go all out like this.  I've always heard great things about the comic series but haven't read any of it - yet.  Now I'm torn about whether I start reading it before the series or not.  I'm not a huge zombie fan but this looks really interesting. 

I don't think you have to worry about spoilers. I read that the show writers are planing to follow the general path of the comic, but take some different turns here and there. I think their intent is to avoid spoiling the comic for folks who watch the show, and to keep the show fresh and engaging for folks familiar with the comic.   

The book is  riveting, but pretty bleak.  One might even argue that the bulk of the horror of the series arises not from the zombies, but from what the zombie apocalypse does to the human survivors.    

I recommend checking out the first trade paperback. There are lots of well developed characters, and very real-feeling drama.  The quality of the writing & scripting of the comic almost overshadows the fact that it is a zombie book.

Rico

Thanks for the advice and comments on the comic.  I'll check it out.

wraith1701

Rico

Meds

I see Jim Carrey has let himself go a bit, oh well thats hollywood for ya.

I cant wait for this to hit our shores as I am a huge fan of Andrew Lincoln, he's been in some of my top programmes over here, espoecially Teachers which i loved. :D