• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by Geekyfanboy, September 10, 2010, 10:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbo1510

Rico

Rico

Off to a pretty good start.  Kind of a slower pace but I think it fit the mood of the first episode.  Interested to see where this all goes.  I'll keep watching.

ElfManDan

Definitely a slow pace to begin, in fact I got kinda bored. I have been thinking for a while now about how there should be a zombie TV show, but this isn't living up to my hopes yet. I also found it kinda predictable. I'll keep watching, it could improve.

Rico

I think the pacing was trying to set the mood and show us the perspective of the deputy learning about what has happened.  Anyone else watch yet?

Jobydrone

I thought it was awesome, and it definitely did the comic justice.  The pacing of the episode was deliberate, I think for the purpose of clueing in those unfamiliar with the comic to the fact that this is not your typical zombie gorefest type of show.  The series will primarily be about the characters, not the monsters.  Great care will be taken to develop them and make them people we genuinely care about.  That way it will be way more effective when their brains are eaten.  

[spoiler]Those of you hoping for an explanation about the whys and wherefores of how the apocalypse started and the science behind the outbreak, you can most likely forget it.  The comic has run 78 issues now and we are no closer to any kind of exposition in that area.[/spoiler]

Ultimately this is by far my favorite new series and right now the only one I will be watching day and date of air.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Hey Joby, couple of questions....

[spoiler]Roughly how much time is the main character Rick supposed to have been in that coma?  A few weeks??  One thing that shocked me a bit was how easily his wife seems to have moved on with his buddy.  I know they touch on that they are having marital issues even before the zombie thing, but I guess it seemed quick to me.[/spoiler]

Jobydrone

Not sure exactly how long the coma lasted, it's been a while since I've read the opening issues of this book.  I think you are on target with a few weeks.  

[spoiler]You've touched on something though that obviously does become a major plot point in future episodes.  As a semi spoiler free explanation, there's the horror of the inexplicable circumstances these people find themselves in, the uncertainty Lori is feeling about whether her husband is dead or alive, and her fear that she might have to suddenly care for her son all alone, combined with the fact that Shane is a not-so-nice guy, and he's taking advantage of these circumstances to get something he has always wanted and been jealous of.  There are definitely repercussions for everyone involved.[/spoiler]
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

wraith1701

Very cool first episode! I think they did a good job capturing the feel of the book & laying down the groundwork for what is to come.  Lots of cool shots and angles paying homage to the comic's art as well. :)  Cool thing about comic to film adaptations:  A lot of potential shots are already set up! :)

Quote from: Rico on November 01, 2010, 11:53:10 AM
Hey Joby, couple of questions....

[spoiler]Roughly how much time is the main character Rick supposed to have been in that coma?  A few weeks??  One thing that shocked me a bit was how easily his wife seems to have moved on with his buddy.  I know they touch on that they are having marital issues even before the zombie thing, but I guess it seemed quick to me.[/spoiler]

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on November 01, 2010, 12:28:39 PM
Not sure exactly how long the coma lasted, it's been a while since I've read the opening issues of this book.  I think you are on target with a few weeks. 

[spoiler]You've touched on something though that obviously does become a major plot point in future episodes.  As a semi spoiler free explanation, there's the horror of the inexplicable circumstances these people find themselves in, the uncertainty Lori is feeling about whether her husband is dead or alive, and her fear that she might have to suddenly care for her son all alone, combined with the fact that Shane is a not-so-nice guy, and he's taking advantage of these circumstances to get something he has always wanted and been jealous of.  There are definitely repercussions for everyone involved.[/spoiler]

Very true!

I think that one of the things the story tries to do is demonstrate how quickly things can break down when the crap hits the fan.  I think Kirkman is trying to show how tenuously he thinks things are held together by the rules of society. Take those rules away, and some folks might adapt by reverting to a sort of Caveman mentality.  [spoiler] For example, Lori thinks her husband is dead.  She still loves him, but her primary concern is ensuring the safety of her child.  In the 'caveman village' she finds herself in, Shane is the Alpha Male.  Being with him might be more a non-sentimental survival strategy than anything else. ;) [/spoiler]

As the story progresses, we find that some characters are able to more easily adopt the "survival of the fittest" or "law of the jungle" mentality than others.  Other characters refuse to let go of the kinder, more noble traits that separate us from the animals.  And some characters manage to strike a precarious balance between the two.  The author (Kirkman) uses the Zombie Apocalypse scenario to examine the different mind-sets.  He manages to do this fairly dispassionately; kind of like he's just laying out the scenario and watching what happens along with the audience.  Sometimes good things happen, sometimes not.  In fact, more often than not, it's the Bad Things that tend to happen.  As you can imagine, this starts to take it's toll.   But similar to the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, I think the story demonstrates the power of mankind's ability bounce back and keep on trucking, no matter how tough the going gets.  It's a bleak story, but in a way, it's also a celebration of how strong the human will and fighting spirit can be.

As the story progresses, and we come to learn more about the characters, the stakes start to go up big-time.  The cool thing about the story is that it just keeps getting more engaging as it goes on...  good or bad, it's kind of addictive. 

Rico

I was a bit struck by how the main guy just immediately puts on his deputy uniform even with the world falling apart around him.  That's a dedicated lawman.  But I can also see wearing it might have it's advantages as people tend to follow people in uniforms more easily.  I noticed his cop buddy wasn't wearing his uniform anymore.

Scott

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on October 31, 2010, 12:28:54 PM
I see Jim Carrey has let himself go a bit, oh well thats hollywood for ya.

Thought it looked more like Kevin Bacon than Jim Carey.
- Scott Hough

The Vintage Gamers

Jobydrone

In the comic the artists are always putting in "zombie cameos" and it's super fun when you figure out who the artist is going for.  It would be great if they do this in the show as well.

Rico

Well, they must have faith in this series.  After only two episodes the series has already been approved for a second season.  So, start watching this one since it will be on for awhile.

Rico

I liked the second episode quite a bit.  Much tighter and very interesting with the new characters brought in and how they are dealing with things.  Quickly becoming a must watch right away show.

Geekyfanboy

I still have the first two episodes on my DVR.. really want to see this.. maybe this weekend.