• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Health Insurance

Started by moyer777, August 28, 2010, 08:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Definitely the same case here. I guess the thing here is that as long as you pay taxes you are paying for health care. There are still a group that don't pay taxes or on on social assistance that we do cover. Why is it more expensive? Who knows, we can speculate but we can't know for sure.

Rico

And another thing....

Here's the crux of the issue I think.  My former boss had to have some heart surgery.  Had to have a few stints put in.  Relatively minor surgery in the overall scheme of things.  Think he was in the hospital a couple of days.  His total bill was somewhere around $100K!  Um, that takes a lot to pay off from health care providers.  I know costs of hospitals, doctors, nurses, equipment, medication all has become in some cases obscene.  So, I know where these costs are coming from.  But as long as these costs continue to rocket upwards we are basically screwed.

moyer777

yeah, just for the tests I had done recently and some dental work, I am having to dip into retirement to pay for it.  And I have insurance.  It is absolutely crazy price wise! 

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bryancd

Part of the increased cost equation is health care also can be attributed to the fact that we are an overweight nation and the result is an massive increase in weight related health issues such as diabetes, heart disease, increase cancer rates, ect. It's only been over the past 20 years or so where this problem has really come to the forefront. Americans are fat and unhealthy and require more doctor visits, hospital procedures, and expensive prescription medications. And to Joe's comment, when you have a population of almost 350 million, there will be a poor demographic that either can't afford health care or will actually choose to not have it and buy smartphones instead. No kidding, I know people who have no money, no insurance, but they sure as hell have a plasma TV. American's priorities are so out of whack it absurd. Then we have a large illegal immigrant population and when they show up in a hospital, they have to be treated. Hospitals foot the bill and our costs go up.

Bryancd

And although I understand the pooled/shared risk model of insurance, I can say it does burn my biscuit when i pay the same amount for coverage as someone who weighs 300lbs. and eats donuts all day.

Rico

Good points Bryan.  Not too mention smoking, alcohol abuse, drug use and so on.  As an aside, my former boss was a smoker but he did at least quit when he started having heart issues.

billybob476

I was under the impression that if you were applying for private health insurance you did pay higer rates if you were in a higher risk category such as a smoker or with pre-existing conditions.

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on September 09, 2010, 09:05:29 AM
I was under the impression that if you were applying for private health insurance you did pay higer rates if you were in a higher risk category such as a smoker or with pre-existing conditions.

Private, yes, group care, HMO model, no.

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on September 09, 2010, 09:22:03 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on September 09, 2010, 09:05:29 AM

Private, yes, group care, HMO model, no.

Correct.  In most cases you could go out and abuse yourself all you want and the cost is the same for super athlete's like Bryan.  About they only thing they look at is your age.

Blackride

Your costs for insurance are going up due to higher costs on the actual care you get. They ARE also going up due to Obama Care which can not be denied.

Your costs go to the point that the market can bare. This is the same for auto insurance. This is due to competition in the market.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Jobydrone

I count myself extremely lucky, I am a municipal worker and pay zero dollars for full coverage for myself and my entire family.  The city pays the whole bill.  We have normal copays of course, for routine visits and medications etc., but I am one of the very lucky few that gets quality health care basically for free.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on September 09, 2010, 12:18:12 PM
The city pays the whole bill. 

Well, tax payers pay the bill and it's great when there are sufficient tax revenues to support a municipal workforce as well as benefits...until there aren't.

Blackride

Co
Quote from: Bryancd on September 09, 2010, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on September 09, 2010, 12:18:12 PM
The city pays the whole bill. 

Well, tax payers pay the bill and it's great when there are sufficient tax revenues to support a municipal workforce as well as benefits...until there aren't.

Could not have said it better than that.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Bryancd

This is the basis for the socialized model our friends across the pond and in the Great White North use. They pay for their "fee" health care through VERY high rates of taxation. It's easy to say oh, it just comes out of taxes so I never see it but it's there. I would rather have lower taxes and freedom of choice. Or British friends should know American's don't take well to be told what to do.  ;D

Feathers

I think we worked that one out ;)

What I don't understand is everyone goes on about choice but I don't see one. It sounds like all get treated and those with money cover the costs. How is that a choice and why is it different to what we have?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.