• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Tales From The Mouse House

Started by QuadShot, July 06, 2010, 12:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadShot

Hey all, Joyce and I just got back from a weekend trip to Disneyland, with my daughter Amanda (her first visit - she's 19), and it was really cool! The new World of Color show in California Adventure is AMAZING. The highlight of the trip!  I filmed it and will post the video soon. Our next episode of Tales From The Mouse House will cover our trip.  Later!! Al

Bryancd

Do you guys ever get over to Disney World? I used to go there a lot as a kid living on the East Coast.

moyer777

looking forward to your report Al!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

QuadShot

Bryan, nah I've never been to Disney World but my wife has. In fact, it wasn't until 2007 that I made my first trip ever to Disneyland!

QuadShot

Here's the latest video podcast from Tales From The Mouse House on Disney's new World Of Color.  It's kind of big (about 27 minutes) so if you watch from this link: http://web.me.com/alkessel/Site_3/Podcast/Podcast.html
it may take a moment or two to load.  It's also available in iTunes, just search for Tales From The Mouse House.  Thanks all, let me know what you think!  Al

Meds

Listened to all the shows so far and love them. Really makes me want to go to Disney. Well done both it's a great show.

Here's my review in iTunes UK

I've never been to Disney but have always wanted to go, let's face it there's no point being a adult if you can't be a child sometimes. This podcast offers information, trivia, secrets and history of the Disney attractions. It's delivered in a fun, relaxed way and I strongly recommend it. 

QuadShot

Thanks Meds! :) So, when you guys make it to the States, let me know! Joyce and I will give you the Disneyland tour!! :)

billybob476

I've been to Disney World many times since my childhood and have loved it every time. Now that my brother lives in Orlando I have a lot of chances to get down there (he basically lives 'behind' the Magic Kingdom). I've never been to Disney Land but I imagine it's just as fun (albeit smaller).

I always love hearing interesting things about these parks, I'll definitely be adding your show to my queue.

QuadShot

Thanks Billybob! Never been to Disney World myself but my wife has. I think it would be cool to go at least once, but I think I'll always be partial to Disneyland because it is smaller and cozier. Take care, Al

QuadShot

Ok, question for you seasoned podcast pros....is it better to read from a script, ad-lib, or maybe a combination of both? I've been struggling with our show because it's tough for me to remember everything I want to cover unless I script it, pretty much word for word. I've noticed that when I do, it sounds very...stiff, for lack of a better word.  I've tried to just bullet point what I want to cover, but then I become kind of lost. How do you all do it? Rico, you shows sound so natural and usually flows really well. Thanks for any input! Al

moyer777

I just have an outline so I don't forget the main things I want to talk about, I find it flows best when we just talk and hit the points.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Feathers

It's not really my place to answer but in the two TrekSF shows I've done I found I needed a little more than bullets but a little less than a script.

I tended to write out full sentences to ensure I got the detail down that I wanted but then paraphrased them as I was talking.

If you like, I had a very stilted script that I then ignored and used for reference purposes only.

The downside is that it then took me a few takes to actually cover everything and sound natural so I'm not sure it was the best way to handle it. (But then I'm not a natural communicator like Rick or Rico)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: QuadShot on July 13, 2010, 09:39:00 AM
Ok, question for you seasoned podcast pros....is it better to read from a script, ad-lib, or maybe a combination of both? I've been struggling with our show because it's tough for me to remember everything I want to cover unless I script it, pretty much word for word. I've noticed that when I do, it sounds very...stiff, for lack of a better word.  I've tried to just bullet point what I want to cover, but then I become kind of lost. How do you all do it? Rico, you shows sound so natural and usually flows really well. Thanks for any input! Al

Well if you listen to my show Knights of the Guild it's far from scripted. And yes I forget things all the time or when I'm in the middle of editing it I think to myself.. crap I should have said this or oh yeah I forgot to tell them this. That's just how things go.

I have an outline of the entire show. That's really so I don't miss any segments since our show is so long we split it into two parts and we mix up when segments are in which parts all the time. I think if you have a co-host it should be more unscripted, folks normally like the banter between the two co-hosts and if it's scripted that really limits the flow of the conversation.  I don't know if any of this really helped.. I would do what feels right to you. Believe me it get's better and better as time goes on.

QuadShot

It does Kenny.  In fact, last night Joyce (my lovely wife and co-host) recorded episode 4 of our show last night, and tried a little more relaxed style, with just notes.  It went a little more, shall we say, conversationally, and I think a little more fun.  I still struggled a bit with remembering what I want to say, but I managed through it! I'll get the episode uploaded tonight...thanks for everyone's help! And, wow, how long does it take to get listeners! :) I know...only 3 shows out there...patience young Jedi (ok, OLD Jedi). :)

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: QuadShot on July 20, 2010, 12:33:12 PM
And, wow, how long does it take to get listeners! :) I know...only 3 shows out there...patience young Jedi (ok, OLD Jedi). :)

That's the tough part.. I mean with Knights of the Guild I already had an audience with The Guild, but it's a struggle everyday to promote and get the word out there that there is an official podcast for The Guild.

You need to go to Disney forums and spread the word. It's going to take a lot of leg work on your part to get noticed amongst all those other podcasts.. it's a neverending job.