• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

My Nephew

Started by Bromptonboy, April 12, 2010, 03:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedijeff

Great news, hopefully he continues to improve, and in good time.

Bromptonboy

A Temple University Law School student who remains in critical condition after a hit-and-run on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway is getting better, his father said yesterday.
Tony Foltz, 25, a third-year student, was hit by a car that police say was driven by Nicholas Hasselback, 22, a Temple senior, about 2:30 a.m. April 11 on the Parkway near 22nd Street.

"Tony is fighting very hard in making a terrific recovery," said Richard Foltz Jr., a partner in the Pepper Hamilton law firm.

"We're very optimistic about his future."

According to statements by his friends, Hasselback had told them he had been at the Public House restaurant and bar, at 18th Street near Arch, sometime before the accident, Assistant District Attorney Lynne O'Brien said after a brief court proceeding yesterday.

Hasselback's attorney, Andrew Gay Jr., said he couldn't comment on the case.

Hasselback is free after posting bail last week. A preliminary hearing scheduled for yesterday on charges of leaving the scene of an accident, aggravated assault and related offenses was postponed to June 8.

Hasselback, dressed in a dark blue pinstriped suit with his hair pulled back in a short ponytail, declined to comment on his case outside the courtroom as he was accompanied by his parents, Walter and Pamela.

His parents have previously said through Gay that their family was praying for a speedy recovery for Foltz.

Richard Foltz said by phone that his son, who is at Hahnemann University Hospital, opened his eyes on April 19 for the first time since the accident. Two days later, when Tony opened his eyes again, he "recognized me and his mother," his father said.

"At that point, we felt we were able to see our way all the way through this and see a glimpse of a bright future for Tony."

He has not been able to speak yet, but can communicate with gestures, according to his family.

In court yesterday, O'Brien told Municipal Judge Joseph C. Waters Jr. that she agreed that Hasselback can stay in Ephrata, Lancaster County, at his parents' house, while awaiting trial. She said she found out that the lease on his East Falls apartment will end today.
Pete

Meds

Great news that he recognised is parents. Thoughts are with you and your family :D

sheldor

Great news - will continue to keep Tony in prayer.

Bromptonboy

Just came back from the sentencing hearing of Nicholas Hasselback.  This is the guy that ran over my nephew, and then ran away - not turning himself in until  3 days later.
He will be a 'guest of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania' for the next 3 to 6 years - with 7 years probation (served concurrently).  The minimum was 90 days - so the judge threw the book at him with that heavier penalty.
Pete

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bromptonboy on November 22, 2010, 11:31:39 AM
Just came back from the sentencing hearing of Nicholas Hasselback.  This is the guy that ran over my nephew, and then ran away - not turning himself in until  3 days later.
He will be a 'guest of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania' for the next 3 to 6 years - with 7 years probation (served concurrently).  The minimum was 90 days - so the judge threw the book at him with that heavier penalty.

That's great.. glad he got more then a slap on the wrist.

Jobydrone

Hit and run drivers are worse than scum.  Pathetic cowards with no regard for anyone but themselves.  I'm glad he was appropriately punished, and I was glad to read your nephew was able to appear in court on his own behalf.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

I'm glad justice was served.

Meds

Bromptonboy

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on November 22, 2010, 12:25:47 PM
How is your nephew?
He is doing quite well - and trying to make up his last year and take the Bar examination.  A few more surgeries are lined up for one of his arms.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20101122_Temple_student_gets_3_to_6_years_for_hit-run.html
Pete

Meds

Great that he is on the mend, what a tough cookie. I know he doesn't know us but let him know that your mates from TSF are with him and wish him all the best.

Bromptonboy

Some good news to share.  After a year of struggling - my nephew received his JD (Juris Doctor) - or Law Degree  last night.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-05-19/news/29560799_1_tony-foltz-pepper-hamilton-law-firm-temple-law-school-student
Pete

Feathers

Very good news and a testament to his abilities in so many ways.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Jobydrone

How great!  Enjoy the celebration party, I hope you blow it out!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Meds

Wow Pete what a brilliant kid. To go through all that and pass his degree. Great news.