HBO's Game of Thrones

Started by Bromptonboy, August 18, 2009, 06:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

Any one else catch the most recent episode?  Wow, this is getting tough to stomach:

[spoiler]Although Ramsey is a sick scumbag in the book as well, he knows that his wife 'Arya' is an imposter, so treats her with contempt and violence.[/spoiler]
Pete

Rico

The whole series is tough to stomach. Payback is the only thing that keeps me watching.

Bromptonboy

Pete

Rico

And what is with...

[spoiler]That huge room that Arya went into with all the dead faces of people on pillars.  That place is WEIRD![/spoiler]

ChrisMC

This show pulls no punches. The Walking Dead be all like..."Whaaaaaat?"
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bromptonboy

Regarding Rico's question:
[spoiler]That was in book 5.  The 'Faceless Men' - the guild she is joining - can change faces.  They are 'given' faces that are attached to them, and they can change to the new face at will.  :)  She doesn't see that room until much later in the books - when she is further along.[/spoiler]
Pete

Bromptonboy

Quote from: ChrisMC on May 18, 2015, 02:41:00 PM
This show pulls no punches. The Walking Dead be all like..."Whaaaaaat?"
How are you thinking this season stacks up to the others?
Pete

Rico

I still find "The Walking Dead" much more emotional and heart wrenching.  Most of the characters on GOT I don't like or care much about.  Sometimes it just seems to be nasty for the sake of nastiness on GOT.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on May 18, 2015, 04:17:57 PM
I still find "The Walking Dead" much more emotional and heart wrenching.  Most of the characters on GOT I don't like or care much about.  Sometimes it just seems to be nasty for the sake of nastiness on GOT.
I am starting to agree with you - but I think the book characters are way better.  Now I think the show is just trying to shock us - and they have to keep upping the ante.
Pete

Bromptonboy

Looks like HBO really stirred things up - just the link here since the article contains spoilers.

http://www.themarysue.com/we-will-no-longer-be-promoting-hbos-game-of-thrones/
Pete

Rico

Same way things got stirred up with Cersei and Jamie. This show ain't for the timid, or most women out there.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on May 19, 2015, 04:36:27 AM
Same way things got stirred up with Cersei and Jamie. This show ain't for the timid, or most women out there.
Right.  However, GRRM does write some incredibly strong female roles - like Arya, Melisandre, Brienne, and of course Danyres.  But I can understand how many women would be put off by all the others incidents.  I recall that most of the Anomaly ladies avoided the books & shows.
Pete

Rico

The show/books is rough on kids, women, animals, etc.  It's just nasty a lot of the time - even some of the "strong women" are not always good.  I find it interesting how this latest "incident" seems have stirred things up so much.  In my view, much more horrible stuff has happened on this show before this. 

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on May 20, 2015, 03:57:28 PM
The show/books is rough on kids, women, animals, etc.  It's just nasty a lot of the time - even some of the "strong women" are not always good.  I find it interesting how this latest "incident" seems have stirred things up so much.  In my view, much more horrible stuff has happened on this show before this. 
Yes that is interesting. Somehow touched a nerve.
Pete

Bromptonboy

Ugggh...[spoiler]Sandsnake story line is sub-par I think.  As we get further away from GRRM's plots - the story sinks lower and lower.[/spoiler] 

I'll still be watching, but I get more disappointed each week as we get deeper into the season.
Pete