• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

HBO's Game of Thrones

Started by Bromptonboy, August 18, 2009, 06:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Some ratings info for the premiere.  Got good ratings - not great.

The heavily hyped debut of Game of Thrones couldn't come close to the premiere of HBO's last big drama series, Boardwalk Empire, yet it still turned in a solid number Sunday night.
The first episode delivered a decent 2.2 million viewers for its premiere airing, then a rather strong 1.2 million for its first encore (the NBA playoff game between the Celtics and Knicks might have pushed some viewership to the second airing), and another 800,000 for the third telecast for an overall healthy total of 4.2 million. HBO then aired Thrones six times across all its channels Monday night, and those numbers will be added to this post later today.
Thrones first telecast was down 54 percent from the premiere of 2010′s Boardwalk (4.8 million) which received an immediate second season renewal. Yet HBO always takes into account what Sunday show was used to ramp up viewers to the new program's premiere, and Thrones had a weak platform — Mildred Pierce, which averaged around 1 million viewers, a number Thrones more than doubled.
What's perhaps the closest ratings comparison to a fantasy series like Thrones is HBO's other genre drama, True Blood. A prestigious crime drama Boardwalk is much more in the traditional HBO viewership wheelhouse. Compared to the vampire show, Thrones did really well. Blood only opened with 1.4 million viewers, and similarly had no real platform to launch from, but then went on to grow week after week into a major hit for the network.
Also, and this is important, in the UK the premiere did really well — Thrones set a Sky Atlantic ratings record with 750,000 viewers, beating the previous record holder, which was ... Boardwalk Empire.
So what does all this mean for Thrones? The premiere number is good, not great. HBO would have loved for the first airing of Thrones to have been in the 3 million range, but will definitely take anything in the 2s. The next question: How many viewers will stick around next week?
UPDATE: Thrones repeat airings on Monday added another 1.2 million to the viewership tally (this is definitely considered good, btw).

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/19/game-of-thrones-premiere-ratings/

billybob476

Despite the "low" ratings it was renewed for a second season!

They kind of mention it in the article, but I feel like a fantasy/sci fi series would generally debut with lower numbers as the "general public" would not be quite as interested in tuning in. I mean, we've been anticipating this, Rico interviewed the author on the show. But I'd say we live in a bit of a genre bubble where things like this are a much bigger deal.

X

Quote from: Rico on April 20, 2011, 06:05:30 AM
As long as there is a lot of payback, I'm ok with that stuff.  But I just hope the payback isn't too long in coming.
LOL! Wait until you see how your words turn out.

Rico

Quote from: X on April 21, 2011, 09:49:57 AM
Quote from: Rico on April 20, 2011, 06:05:30 AM
As long as there is a lot of payback, I'm ok with that stuff.  But I just hope the payback isn't too long in coming.
LOL! Wait until you see how your words turn out.

Now, I'm excited!  :)

Duffster

I thought last nights episode kept things going well. I have been loving it so far, but I wonder if some people may think these first few episodes have been a bit slow. There is so much character development in these stories I hope people don't give up on it for being slow. There is tons of action coming and it is so worth it.

Oh, and how much do you hate the Lannisters now?
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

X

Quote from: Duffster on April 25, 2011, 09:30:18 AM
I thought last nights episode kept things going well. I have been loving it so far, but I wonder if some people may think these first few episodes have been a bit slow. There is so much character development in these stories I hope people don't give up on it for being slow. There is tons of action coming and it is so worth it.

Oh, and how much do you hate the Lannisters now?
Slow? I think it's moving WAY too fast.

Rico

Just watched episode two.  As Mr. Takei likes to say, "Oh, my!"

[spoiler]I know those dire wolves would come into play.  I seriously despise most of the Lannisters now.  Like I said previously I want justice - fast.  Like a few have said, there are some seriously evil and messed up people in this world.  And I want them all to pay.  I guess this means I'm enjoying it so far since I'm caught up in the characters and the Starks story.  [/spoiler]

Bring on episode 3!

X

All I have to say is brace yourself and remember what you say now. If your feelings play out like mine did in the books, you'll end up hating yourself because you've forgiven certain ... things.

Rico

Forgive?!?!  I can't see forgiving anything that certain people have done so far.  At least I'm really enjoying the "little Lannister."  Peter Dinklage is awesome!

billybob476

I'm just about halfway through the first book (in audio form). Definitely way beyond where the show is so far. There is still much to come :)

Duffster

I agree with X for sure in the way my feelings changed about certain things as the books have been evolving. That's why I like them so much. I have a lot of respect and amazement with an author that can make me feel so emotionally different about certain things as the story evolves. Like I said before it's gonna be a wild ride.

And your also in for a treat. I think the little Lannister is the most complex and interesting character in all the books.
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

I was loving it when "the Imp" was slapping that little brat Lannister in the last episode.  Awesome stuff!

KingIsaacLinksr

I've been watching, to say the least it has been an intense couple of episodes.  This borders on what I'm willing to watch, (Well, truth be told, its gone over my comfort zone, but I understand its part of the story) but the characters and their interactions are deep and intriguing.  As Duffster said, I can respect someone for bringing out such emotions in just two episodes.  (Or two chapters).  To say the least, I truly dislike the Lannisters.  To have a villain despised so much so quickly, has some good writing behind it.

And no, I have not read the book either.  

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Feathers

I've recorded the first two (yes, it's on over here already) but haven't had the time to watch them yet. I haven't read the books so I'll be interested to see if I can stay the course.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

stonut

I would love to watch this but as it's only on Sky tv over that's a no no for me, no way I can do £50 a month. Bad enough paying a licence fee. But at least the next book has finally got a release date.