News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on June 28, 2009, 06:30:54 AM
The latest talk floating around is that having Khan in it is at about a 50:50 chance.  sigh....

I sure hope they don't go down that road. I would much rather they develop new and completely original story ideas from here on out.
Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Feathers

Absolutely!

We have a new timeline at vast theatrical expense. Lets have some new stories to go with it.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

wraith1701

I'm with you guys.  Trying to recapture the magic of TWOK seems like a BIG gamble.  The writers have created a huge, new playground with unlimited possibilities.  They need to take advantage of that and make something NEW.  That was the whole point of the reboot, wasn't it?

Rico

New talk about the next movie from the writers:

Star Trek on TV and in the feature films has famously dealt with issues of the day. And apparently Bob Orci and JJ Abrams are looking to bring some of that allegorical element to the next Trek. Firstly JJ told the LA Times:

"The ambition for a sequel to 'Star Trek' is to make a movie that's worthy of the audience and not just another movie, you know, just a second movie that feels tacked on. The first movie was so concerned with just setting up the characters — their meeting each and galvanizing that family — that in many ways a sequel will have a very different mission. it needs to do what [the late 'Trek' creator Gene] Roddenberry did so well, which is allegory. It needs to tell a story that has connection to what is familiar and what is relevant. It also needs to tell it in a spectacular way that hides the machinery and in a primarily entertaining and hopefully moving story. There needs to be relevance, yes, and that doesn't mean it should be pretentious. If there are simple truths — truths connected to what we live — that elevates any story — that's true with any story."   

And Bob Orci added:

We've literally had two meetings now. We haven't decided anything but we're starting to circle around some ideas. We got a lot of fan response from the first one and a considerable amount of critical response and one of the things we heard was, 'Make sure the next one deals with modern-day issues.' We're trying to keep it as up-to-date and as reflective of what's going on today as possible. So that's one thing, to make it reflect the things that we are all dealing with today.

So what modern day issues? Is War and Torture in our Trek future?, Here is another excerpt:

I asked Orci somewhat flippantly if that meant we might see Starfleet grappling with the ethics of torture or dealing with a rising terrorist threat or perhaps a painful, politicized war with the Klingons.

"Well yeah, those are the kind of issues we're talking about. Wow, you're good! But seriously that's the way we're thinking, that's an approach. So if you have any ideas ... "

More at LA Times

Bryancd

Sweet! The new crew has to save the Federation from a crushing economic collapse by using replicator technology to create trillions in fake Starfleet long term bonds which they turn around and sell to unwitting Klingons until the Ferengi's realize it's all a house of cards and they swoop in and buy Earth for $.10 on the dollar! ;)

Rico

Hehe!  But seriously, I'm actually hoping they can blend action, character development, modern problems and the Prime Directive.  I think it can be done and if pulled off, people will really know what Trek is all about.  An easy idea would be to have the Klingons perhaps be involved, perhaps exploiting some planet of people, torturing them, etc. and the Enterprise is sent in to stop them.  Just a quick thought.  I'm very excited by this development.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 17, 2009, 06:47:33 AM
An easy idea would be to have the Klingons perhaps be involved, perhaps exploiting some planet of people, torturing them, etc.

..or just looking for job's and free health care.... ;)

Yes, I think, and have always felt, that the writting team would look to really not only expand the scope of the story, but also put their own unique stamp on the franchise while adhering to Treks most basic tenants. I never thought they would rehash old stories like Kahn, they have so much potential, no way they don't go for it.

Ktrek

One of the problems I see of using "issues of the day" might be a lack of moral compass. The moral ambiguity portrayed in much of Hollywood is likely to affect how they approach such a film and the result would be a film that addresses an issue but has no real answers. Up until DS9 Star Trek did a fine job at seeing good and evil in more black and white. Since DS9 the moral worldview became more grey and indistinguishable. I would like to see a return to where the good guys are more clearly distinguished. Not  "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" amoral type of storytelling. That has it's place but I think Star Trek works best when it draws the lines clearly.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bryancd

Quote from: Ktrek on September 17, 2009, 01:45:37 PM
One of the problems I see of using "issues of the day" might be a lack of moral compass. The moral ambiguity portrayed in much of Hollywood is likely to affect how they approach such a film and the result would be a film that addresses an issue but has no real answers. Up until DS9 Star Trek did a fine job at seeing good and evil in more black and white. Since DS9 the moral worldview became more grey and indistinguishable. I would like to see a return to where the good guys are more clearly distinguished. Not  "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" amoral type of storytelling. That has it's place but I think Star Trek works best when it draws the lines clearly.

Kevin

I agree, but then you look at what they did with BSG and it was that ambiguity which I thought made it so riveting. They already have established the new Trek characters as emotionally flawed, but then again so did TOS to a lesser degree, I would be surprised if they deviated much from that and I think a story whcih has that gray element may not be as emotionally satifying, but it does make you think.

Rico

"Star Trek" has always reflected the times it is made in.  This is the nature of all forms of entertainment - to a degree.  So, I would be surprised if any script they come up with isn't reflective of the type of world we all live in.  And these days, things are just not as black & white as they once were.

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on September 17, 2009, 02:04:15 PM
"Star Trek" has always reflected the times it is made in.  This is the nature of all forms of entertainment - to a degree.  So, I would be surprised if any script they come up with isn't reflective of the type of world we all live in.  And these days, things are just not as black & white as they once were.
Actually I do think things are pretty black and white for the most part. It's the introduction of moral relativism that is to blame for the current lack of discernment as to right and wrong in our society that is to blame.

Kevin

Ktrek

Quote from: Bryancd on September 17, 2009, 01:51:02 PM

I agree, but then you look at what they did with BSG and it was that ambiguity which I thought made it so riveting. They already have established the new Trek characters as emotionally flawed, but then again so did TOS to a lesser degree, I would be surprised if they deviated much from that and I think a story whcih has that gray element may not be as emotionally satifying, but it does make you think.

I agree that BSG was a riveting show but I would hate to see Star Trek - BSG. If you know what I mean. Trek has always been brighter, lighter and more positive and I would prefer it remains distinct in that way.

Kevin

Bryancd

Quote from: Ktrek on September 17, 2009, 04:49:28 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on September 17, 2009, 01:51:02 PM

I agree that BSG was a riveting show but I would hate to see Star Trek - BSG. If you know what I mean. Trek has always been brighter, lighter and more positive and I would prefer it remains distinct in that way.

Kevin

Agreed, I don't need a drunk Spock to feel the character is "real"! LOL!

Rico

2009 is quite a different world than 1966.  Again, the last movie reflected this and the next one will as well - perhaps even more since they won't need to spend as much time "getting the gang" together and so forth.  Trust the writers, it's the same team as the last film.

Bryancd

Quote from: Ktrek on September 17, 2009, 04:47:03 PM
Quote from: Rico on September 17, 2009, 02:04:15 PM
"Star Trek" has always reflected the times it is made in.  This is the nature of all forms of entertainment - to a degree.  So, I would be surprised if any script they come up with isn't reflective of the type of world we all live in.  And these days, things are just not as black & white as they once were.
Actually I do think things are pretty black and white for the most part. It's the introduction of moral relativism that is to blame for the current lack of discernment as to right and wrong in our society that is to blame.

Kevin

I think reality has never been black or white, however in the past, popular culture reflected it to be so and I have always found that refreshing. Certainly the "Leave it to Beaver" ideal reflected society in the 1950's, but that society had plenty of issue's which entertainment ignored. I often look at TV programming and film form the "40's, "50's, and '60's and wish we could be more like that today and then I realize that they likely weren't ever really that way at all.