• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 11, 2013, 03:49:04 PM
You can nitpick anything.  I still enjoy this film quite a bit.  And yes, the commentary track I think is limited - might be iTunes only.  As I've been saying there are more versions of this one film release than all the Star Wars releases combined!  LOL! 
Well, maybe not quite that many.  :)

Yep, I had three fun in theater experiences watching this film. And I'm not an easy lay. ;)

ChrisMC

We watched this again Friday night. Even with all of the nitpicks, this is a damn fine piece of entertainment. All around great performances and a story that moves nicely.

I got the Target disc, and the extra disc that comes with it features my favorite stuff...set design, art direction, makeup, special effects...I am really impressed with the amount of care they put into the detail work on this film. The redressing of the Ent. bridge to become the Vengeance is pretty awesome.

Also, I found out during the bit about the Klingon homeworld that the Klingon was NOT Tony Todd, but an actor named Scott Blackmore...though he does look like a young Tony Todd. Happy with the xtras I got, maybe could have used a gag reel or a commentary,but an hour and fifteen or so is about the max I want to spend anyway.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Ktrek

We watched the Blu-Ray version of this last night and I suppose I have to say there are still many things about the film I do not like but it was more "tolerable" on a second viewing having had time to get over my initial reaction to the film. I find it more entertaining to think of it less as a Star Trek film and just a good popcorn movie.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Dangelus

Quote from: Ktrek on September 15, 2013, 11:57:50 AM
We watched the Blu-Ray version of this last night and I suppose I have to say there are still many things about the film I do not like but it was more "tolerable" on a second viewing having had time to get over my initial reaction to the film. I find it more entertaining to think of it less as a Star Trek film and just a good popcorn movie.

Kevin

Pretty much agree with that. The unfortunate reality in my opinion is that the more of this we get the less likely we will get Star Trek back on the TV where it belongs. The movies should be an off shoot of the TV series they are attached to. I just don't think any creative team can do justice to the franchise in movies alone. Not enough time to develop the characters...

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on September 15, 2013, 01:18:01 PM
Pretty much agree with that. The unfortunate reality in my opinion is that the more of this we get the less likely we will get Star Trek back on the TV where it belongs. The movies should be an off shoot of the TV series they are attached to. I just don't think any creative team can do justice to the franchise in movies alone. Not enough time to develop the characters...

I think that has less to do with the success or failures of these films but more to do with the licensing mess STAR TREK is stuck in with CBS owning the TV rights.

ChrisMC

Yeah, I don't think many of is realize how separate the 2 entities are right now.

Bryancd

Quote from: ChrisMC on September 15, 2013, 01:42:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think many of is realize how separate the 2 entities are right now.

And unlikely to reconcile. CBS wants to stick to the TV series timeline while Paramount has done a reboot.

ChrisMC

Well, I like that CBS is taking care of the TV stuff with the Blurays. I'm always gonna prefer the classic stuff. I think even novels based in the JJ timeline got submarines because of this stuff. 

It's a shame that there can't be a reconciliation...but more Trek on TV isn't always good for the franchise.  Given the choice, I would take a well done TV show over the movies.

Rico

TV "Trek" and movie "Trek" are currently owned and operated separately.  Movies being successful might 'encourage' them to do a TV series again at some point but what they eventually do on TV really won't have anything to do with the films.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 15, 2013, 02:05:21 PM
TV "Trek" and movie "Trek" are currently owned and operated separately.  Movies being successful might 'encourage' them to do a TV series again at some point but what they eventually do on TV really won't have anything to do with the films.

Yeah, that would be quit the conundrum.

Bryancd

Watching it today, I was struck by how what Kirk did on Nimbus was exactly what TOS Kirk did time and time again and we never saw the consequences of his actions. It was interesting to see what would happen if Starfleet called Kirk to the mat for his flaunting of the rules. Nice touch.

ChrisMC

Yeah, how many times did Kirk completely change a society (The Apple for example) and say, "You'll figure out how to be free" and beam back up, have a laugh take with Spock and McCoy, and leave orbit. It is interesting to see that there is consequences to um, breaking Starfleet's Number One Rule.

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on September 15, 2013, 01:51:10 PM
Quote from: ChrisMC on September 15, 2013, 01:42:11 PM

And unlikely to reconcile. CBS wants to stick to the TV series timeline while Paramount has done a reboot.

My gosh I hope they get a chance to do this. If they do I can stop being so frustrated with these movies. Is there anything legally stopping them launching a new series at the moment?

Rico

Nothing legally stopping a new series from all I have read.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 16, 2013, 10:37:58 AM
Nothing legally stopping a new series from all I have read.

Nothing I can think of beyond the desire, or lack thereof, on the part of CBS to spend the $ to do a new tv series based in the Prime timeline while competing against a movie franchise in a totally separate one. The market could become too bifurcated for their comfort level.