• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMC

It may have a very strong second weekend due to strong work of mouth. I imagine it will end up around where the last film does. It should pass it in my opinion, it's a better film.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

starbase

I wonder if anyone has an opinion about the hats worn at Star Fleet headquarters.  On the one hand, they looked too militaristic. On the other hand they looked like the caps worn on Captain Scarlet, the old Gerry Anderson puppet show.

billybob476

I like the uniforms in these new movies. It reflects reality. They have more formal uniforms for meetings at HQ, normal duty uniforms for shipboard work and appropriate utility gear for away missions. No more beaming onto a dangerous planet in nothing more then a spandex jumpsuit.

Dangelus

I thought the uniforms made sense. I always thought the starfleet dress uniforms were never very practical or comfortable.

Bryancd

I'm ok with the dress uniforms. They are very militaristic and I would prefer something a bit more futuristic, but these are keeping with the overall aesthetic of the film.

starbase

Yes, I didn't have a problem with the uniforms, just with the hats.  The hats were retro.  My Russian friend said the hats made them look German (his opinion, not mine).

Bryancd

ROTFLMAO!!

http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844

Although I have to whole heartedly agree with this part..
[spoiler] "No, I'm just angry. When the movie was announced, Abrams and whoever clearly stated that Cumberbatch would be playing a canon Trek character, and everybody guessed it was Khan. Then they promised he wasn't playing Khan. And then they said Cumberbatch's character's name was John Harrison, even though there's no previous Trek character named John Harrison, and again we knew it was Khan. And they tried to make it this whole big mystery as if we were all morons who had some how forgotten a classic Trek character named John Harrison, like they were actually going to pull one over on us when we were telling them over an over again that we knew it was Khan and the only thing they were accomplishing by denying it was 1) being assholes and 2) insulting our intelligence."
This is something we haven't discussed yet, the whole Khan subterfuge BS.[/spoiler]

Praxis

Quote from: Bryancd on May 20, 2013, 02:18:51 PM
ROTFLMAO!!

http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844

Oh man that FAQ is hilarious!!
My favorite part:

But it's canon! Don't you like canon?

I like it when it doesn't get stupid. And why the hell would Abrams and crew stick to Khan's origin timeline, even though it makes zero sense, but also suddenly change him to a white dude? That's cherry-picking the stupidest parts of canon and non-canon!

I don't know. I think it's nice that in this day and age, a white male can still be cast as an Indian played by a Mexican. White men really have come a long way!

Bromptonboy

Well, I took a day off to go see this movie (10:00 matinee show) - and as I was driving out to do a few errands - all the warning lights on my car start blinking like a christmas tree.  Had to bring it right to the shop.  Most likely no film for me today...unless I get it back quickly. 
The wife is out and about with her car - so I cannot borrow hers.  :(
Pete

Bromptonboy

I did manage to get to see this today!  Unfortunately - although I tried to remain spoiler-free - I didn't stay that way for long. 
I enjoyed the movie.
[spoiler]For the longest time I was wondering what everybody meant by 'Lens Flare' - and now I can see what they all meant.  That was annoying and distracting for me.
The filmed stunned me visually - the effects were great (I saw the 3D version).  Ideally for me, they would have explored Khan's background a bit more, and the ethical decisions that Adm. Marcus was making.  Many things seemed to make no sense to me - but perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention.  Why did Khan flee to the Klingon Homeworld?  Why would they put khan and crew back on ice when they have this miraculous breakthrough by using his blood?
I guess I am still looking for a Kubrick-esque 'serious Science Fiction' movie - and have to accept that fact that they are few and far between.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the film - I just can't say it was one of my favorite Trek films.  Someone mentioned the dress uniforms - they did look good - and did look like older German uniforms.[/spoiler]
Pete

WillEagle

A question?

[spoiler]My boss at work went to see this yesterday and he mentioned something I hadn't even thought of. He said he didn't remember the Enterprise firing any of its weapons. I though it did when they were fighting the Vengeance but he said the weapons went off line when they got hit during warp. Did they ever fire their weapons??? I'm going to see this again so I'll look for it but I'm still wondering.[/spoiler]

Bromptonboy

Quote from: WillEagle on May 21, 2013, 02:22:54 PM
A question?

[spoiler]My boss at work went to see this yesterday and he mentioned something I hadn't even thought of. He said he didn't remember the Enterprise firing any of its weapons. I though it did when they were fighting the Vengeance but he said the weapons went off line when they got hit during warp. Did they ever fire their weapons??? I'm going to see this again so I'll look for it but I'm still wondering.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I don't believe that they did fire - as they were caught by the bombardment in Warp space.  [/spoiler]
Pete

fatfather_2005

i don't think this  a spoiler, being i maybe the only one who noticed it. lol
but did you see the ships as the admiral walked by?
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.

Bryancd

Quote from: fatfather_2005 on May 21, 2013, 06:42:47 PM
i don't think this  a spoiler, being i maybe the only one who noticed it. lol
but did you see the ships as the admiral walked by?

You bet, including the NX-01!

fatfather_2005

also the uss vengence, ( a ship that looked like it) but unless i am mistaken did it show an aircraft carrier?
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.