News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on May 18, 2013, 10:08:19 PM
Uploading my video now.. created a folder "Trek Movie Reviews" mine is in there.

Got it!  Thanks Kenny!!  And the rest of you send in those videos today!!

Bryancd

Rico

Rico

I'm starting to work on this now, so there are still a few hours to send in your videos folks!  Yeah, I'm talking to you Chris and you Joby!! :)

Jobydrone

LOL I just sent the file to you via FTP.  It should be in the folder that Kenny created, called Star Trek 12 impressions.  Sorry for the poor quality and zero effects or editing, it was all I could do to get the four clips together into one project.  Hope it's usable.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

billybob476

I'm seeing the 1:20 show, out by 4. I suspect I won't get in under the wire :)

Rico

Bryancd

Already ordered! I want that phaser!

WillEagle

billybob476

Saw it yesterday.

[spoiler]
And I really enjoyed it. The only two minor things I didn't really cre fr are the two things most other people have mentioned. I felt the exchange with Spock Prime was basically useless. Secondly I didn't love Spock yelling Khan. To me it didn't really belong.  It was something they did because they could, not because it was necessary to the story. It also seems like an odd out of character reaction not only for Spock, but for anyone in the movie except Khan himself.

Aside from that though, it was a great roller coaster ride that did feel like trek to me. I really enjoyed Scotty, again kind of a nod to TSFS when Scotty prime disabled the excelsior's trans warp drive. I enjoyed sulu being given command for the first time and chekov being thrust into the role of chief engineer and struggling at it.

The slight adjustment to khans motivation (saving his people as opposed to revenge on Kirk) made him a more sympathetic villain overall and made the story a little bit more complex then just the straight up "I hate you Kirk" of TWOK.
[/spoiler]

WillEagle

Here is an article from The Wrap about the box office results. 70.6 mil domestic sounds pretty good to me.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/star-trek-darkness-cant-hit-warp-speed-box-office-92566

Bryancd

Quote from: WillEagle on May 20, 2013, 05:27:53 AM
Here is an article from The Wrap about the box office results. 70.6 mil domestic sounds pretty good to me.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/star-trek-darkness-cant-hit-warp-speed-box-office-92566

Unfortunatley it won't be portrayed that way. They likely wanted to get closer to a $100M opening weekend.

ChrisMC

4 year layoff, plus lets face it, Trek is never going to have mass appeal that superheroes do. I would imagine more patents are along for the ride with little kids for Iron Man than Trek. Still, the old Trek films grossed like above average B-movies.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

It is trending great on Rotten Tomatoes with an 89% approval rating, so that's very good.