• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praxis

Quote from: Rico on April 30, 2013, 02:17:08 PM
Again - not reading.  Nope... you can't make me. 

"There are four lights!!"
:laugh: hahaha, nice one.
Yeah I'm with you on that.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on April 30, 2013, 06:10:36 PM
Be happy to debate you on that some time after the new movie comes out. 

I actually don't mean that as a knock on them at all. I love these guys as well (well, a little peeved at Lindeloff over some of Prometheus) and think they have crafted some terrific characters and situations based on STAR TREK. But I still consider this an entirely new universe separate from classic Trek, not because I am being belligerent and precious about old Trek, simply because for me it reads and play so differently. Gene's Trek was very different from this. I think once he passed away and TNG really took off, the writers and producers explored and expanded the universe and it was great for the most part, but it always still had a lot of the basic tenants that Gene infused into his creation. I think this new crew is taking a very different direction with the franchise and it's the right call and works great, but I think JJ was brought in because he wasn't a Trek fan per se and was able to craft his own vision separate from that of Gene's. That's what I mean that I think it's debatable they know Trek, I think the only want to really know it to a point but don't want that to color their perception.

Rico

Pretty much completely agree with you Bryan.  My point has been they know what will work for Trek in a film and know the details and background and decide what to use or reshape to work best for a film.  These guys are great at the filmed version of Trek, but if it ever went to TV again I'd want Ron Moore or Manny Coto or someone back who knows how to do Trek on weekly TV.  That's a very different animal.  I'm just so happy that it seems Trek at the movies is rocking so much these days.  Finally, it's pulling in the new fans it will need to continue to thrive for many years to come. 

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on May 01, 2013, 07:03:32 AM
Pretty much completely agree with you Bryan.  My point has been they know what will work for Trek in a film and know the details and background and decide what to use or reshape to work best for a film.  These guys are great at the filmed version of Trek, but if it ever went to TV again I'd want Ron Moore or Manny Coto or someone back who knows how to do Trek on weekly TV.  That's a very different animal.  I'm just so happy that it seems Trek at the movies is rocking so much these days.  Finally, it's pulling in the new fans it will need to continue to thrive for many years to come.

Yep, and that's a great distinction which we have all discussed previously, Trek TV vs. films and how different they are.  :thumbsup

Jobydrone

I think they know and get what most people love about Trek, particularly TOS, and have done a great job incorporating those things into the reboot, as well as making it much more accessible and enjoyable (in a great way) to general audiences.  I just watched the most recent film again a few days ago and felt that very strongly...that these writers really understood what was loved about the characters, especially the core three, and took great pains to incorporate those things into the new movie. 

What I'm most interested in seeing about this new film, is how well the writers continue to create such compelling material without the "crutch" of some of the low hanging fruit that was available to them in the first film.  It's a little easier to write a great script (I would imagine anyway) when you have the first meetings of all these iconic, beloved characters to chronicle.  I have no doubt they can do it, I'm just very interested to see how they do it.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

This has been all over the place today so I am officially calling it NOT a spoiler..Q'pla!  :klingon

Rico

That's taken from the Harrison/Uhura promo video, not a spoiler since it's in official promo content released.  Plus, we've known about the Klingons in this movie for awhile now.  Here's the whole video clip it's taken from (I put this already up on the main site too along with the other Harrison profile videos too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfn7we2m5V8#ws

Rico

Another video showing Kirk and Spock meeting a certain new officer for the first time.
(Have we seen the whole movie by this point now?  LOL!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcTFw8v1izY#ws

Praxis

Quote from: Bryancd on May 01, 2013, 04:36:03 PM
This has been all over the place today so I am officially calling it NOT a spoiler..Q'pla!  :klingon

Makeup is lookin pretty cool to me. I am so excited for klingon goodness  :)

Feathers

Quote from: Rico on May 01, 2013, 04:49:41 PM
(Have we seen the whole movie by this point now?  LOL!)

Given how little was being released up front a while back, there's a certain irony in the sheer volume of content that's being pumped out at the moment.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

billybob476

Praxis

Quote from: billybob476 on May 02, 2013, 09:54:47 AM
3D trailer will be available today at 12 PM Pacific time

http://www.areyouthe1701.com/3DTrailer/
Sweet! All I need is some 3d glasses......hmm  8)

billybob476

Rico

Cool!  Oh, but this is the best trailer so far down below.  LOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEq2L78L39w#ws

X

Trek preview and Abrams Q&A are now up on XBOX live