• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElfManDan

I'll be honest... I'm PUMPED now to see this film! I was excited and now I'm going on SUPER PUMPED and excited! That trailer looks amazing! Oh counting down the days...

Dangelus

OK looks exciting but I have absolutely no clue what they're doing now lol.

Feathers

Quote from: Dangelus on April 17, 2013, 12:39:40 AM

Agree with that but that's now part of the attraction! (I think the other ship is the 'prime' Enterprise E after a refit in the alternate timeline.)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

Quote from: Feathers on April 17, 2013, 12:47:32 AM
Quote from: Dangelus on April 17, 2013, 12:39:40 AM

Agree with that but that's now part of the attraction! (I think the other ship is the 'prime' Enterprise E after a refit in the alternate timeline.)

Now that would be very interesting.

davekill

Klingons?

Bryancd

Yes, we determined that a while back.

Ktrek

Why does the monster ship look out of the future? It doesn't look like it's in keeping with the design or even technology of the 23rd century.
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Quote from: Ktrek on April 17, 2013, 08:41:53 AM
Why does the monster ship look out of the future? It doesn't look like it's in keeping with the design or even technology of the 23rd century.

Keep in mind the Klingons had contact with Nero and his advanced tech.  Maybe this big ship was influenced by that.  Or maybe it's a covert, secret prototype made by Starfleet.  Lots of possibilities.

Bryancd

The ship looks in universe enough to me.

X

it looks like a JJ version of the sovereign class

ChrisMC

Quote from: Rico on April 17, 2013, 09:29:29 AM

Keep in mind the Klingons had contact with Nero and his advanced tech.  Maybe this big ship was influenced by that.  Or maybe it's a covert, secret prototype made by Starfleet.  Lots of possibilities.
Having just finished the Countdown to Darkness TPB, I'm thinking Section 31-type stuff. When [spoiler]April takes command of the Enterprise, he uses Code April 31 something something, and at the end when Kirk asks Pike about all this, he says it's all going to Starfleet Intelligence and it's not his problem to worry about[/spoiler]...so...I'm fairly certain it will have something to do with Covert Ops of some sort.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

Quote from: X on April 17, 2013, 10:05:24 AM
it looks like a JJ version of the sovereign class

I was thinking more Excelsior....

Bryancd

Quote from: ChrisMC on April 17, 2013, 10:07:32 AM
Quote from: Rico on April 17, 2013, 09:29:29 AM

Having just finished the Countdown to Darkness TPB, I'm thinking Section 31-type stuff. When [spoiler]April takes command of the Enterprise, he uses Code April 31 something something, and at the end when Kirk asks Pike about all this, he says it's all going to Starfleet Intelligence and it's not his problem to worry about[/spoiler]...so...I'm fairly certain it will have something to do with Covert Ops of some sort.

A little clue in the new trailer is a video image of Harrison and below it shows his personal indentificationb info as UNKOWN. Meds posted an image of that a few pages back.

KingIsaacLinksr

Another possibility is the Mirror Universe. The only place that this theory falls flat is the fact that we haven't seen any characters from it but we know that the Mirror universe has really advanced technology at this time (See ST: Enterprise, the mirror universe episode) and likes to use big weapons. Both of which this new ship uses. The ship design is dark, menacing and has lots of guns on the thing. And I don't think JJ has reveled his big spoiler card yet. Which is why I find it surprising that they've shown the death and resurrection of the Enterprise. You'd think that would have been a closer held secret like Vulcan was in the previous movie. So there has to be something more they haven't shown us yet.

We all know that it's JJ's stomping grounds to mess around with alternatives universes and time travel and etc. (LOST). If JJ wanted to mess around with something like that in this movie, the Mirror Universe is the perfect place for him to do something.

Is it a good theory? Nah, it lacks proof beyond the ship design. But it's something to think about.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

I don't recall any reference to more advnaced technology in the Mirror Universe in Enterprise or DS9.