• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMC

Now, after all my complaining about not seeing anything, I think I've seen too much. ;)
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

billybob476

Rico

I think JJ's actually a master at teasing us and maybe a little misdirection.  These trailers seem to show a lot of flash and quick scenes but we know from the first movie and his other work that the story and how the characters handle it all will be the real meat of the movie.  What I am noticing in this trailer even more is the production design, lighting, costumes, etc. are all just amazingly perfect.  I'm really liking the overall look we are getting.  I'm also happy that it appears a good deal of this movie will take place off the Enterprise.  That's exciting!  I simply can't wait!

Geekyfanboy

Bryancd

I'm excited they are going to destroy this Enterprise! Rebuild her right and pretty! :)

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Dangelus

It could be any movie. I miss Star Trek. :(

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on March 21, 2013, 12:25:55 PM

Well, I think that is entirely dependant on how each of us view "STAR TREK". I for one have separate views and expectations of TV Trek vs. film Trek. I enjoy the more leisurely pace of the various series, having a lot of time to explore so many different themes and stories. I also love big action Trek on the big screen. ST-TMP was TV Trek on the big screen and it didn't work, ST-TWOK amped up the volume and was a masterpiece. I think all the subsequent Trek films have followed that same sort of pattern. Insurrection was a TV episode, First Contact was lot's of flash and dash, and their reception in the fan community reflects that.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Bryancd on March 21, 2013, 12:35:48 PM
Quote from: Dangelus on March 21, 2013, 12:25:55 PM

Well, I think that is entirely dependant on how each of us view "STAR TREK". I for one have separate views and expectations of TV Trek vs. film Trek. I enjoy the more leisurely pace of the various series, having a lot of time to explore so many different themes and stories. I also love big action Trek on the big screen. ST-TMP was TV Trek on the big screen and it didn't work, ST-TWOK amped up the volume and was a masterpiece. I think all the subsequent Trek films have followed that same sort of pattern. Insurrection was a TV episode, First Contact was lot's of flash and dash, and their reception in the fan community reflects that.
Yes, I agree. The movies should be EPIC and pumped up. When my friends and I left Insurrection, we said, "Well...it was nice to see everyone again." This movie is an event movie, and, like last time, non-Trekkies are hyped to see it...unlike most Trek films. If we get a Trek on TV(and we will), I think it will be A) Serialized. and B) Closer in tone to what we've had in the past.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Yeah, this is always going to be an issue for some fans and I can respect that.  However, just like with the 2009 film there is going to be PLENTY of Trek-Goodness in this film.  In fact, I will go as far as saying that I believe this movie will be even more Trek-centered than the last film.  I mean that in terms of what I'm seeing with regards to the story, characters and potential messages seen so far.  I am so frakking pumped for this.  You see, JJ is very wise.  He is amping things up to get all these non-Trek folks into the theaters and then - BANG - he is going to slip in all this Trek greatness that they will become converts.  I am positive about this!

Dangelus

I'm sure it will be great and very enjoyable but I hope the direction of these movies doesn't kill TV Trek or reinvent it in a similar way. I guess I always preferred TV Trek to movies...

jedijeff

That was an Action Packed trailer, I am a bit like Chris in I feel I have seen to much now. I have been watching some of the Trek movies lately, and I noted like the others, that the tone between them and the TV series are are very different. The series was the one which always brought up the deeper themes and commentary, and the few times they might have approached it in the movies, it really did not resonate imho.

billybob476

Is it me or does Alice Eve almost look CGI?

Also I do understand people's concerns that this will be an action movie but as Bryan said above, the most successful Trek movies have been the action based ones. Movie Trek is about action and adventure that doesn't (or at least didn't) translate well to the small screen. Trek TV is the place to go for thought-provoking commentary on current social issues.

X

TV is good for taking the time to make you think. Movies have to make you feel to be successful and action tends to spark feeling.

Here's an example. I can watch a 4 hour block of Through the Wormhole or Dark Matter and have no problems, I'd never watch it at a theater.

Bryancd

OK, based on the most recent trailer I am going on record that John Harrison is really...

[spoiler]Garth of Izar [/spoiler]