• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Ok, I saw the 9 minute preview today with "The Hobbit" in IMAX.  The details of the preview are kind of all over the web right now so I'm not going to go into that very much.  But what I will say is how much fun and how cool it was to back with these people and this crew.  Even in the short preview I really got the sense this crew has become a very tight knit group as well as a well oiled machine.  I can't exactly put it into words but it just all felt very...right.  I'm even more excited to see the movie now.  I think it's going to be wonderful!

ChrisMC

The 9 minute preview was awesome...so cool to see the "new" crew of the Big E interacting as a cohesive unit...and on a Strange New World. Looks like alot of fun!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

New teaser is now up.  Seems to only be on Apple's site right now so I can't view it at work.  Figures!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/

Rico

Meds

Its the last line, "what would you do for family" (or something like that) Hmmm, Now this looks awesome, bloody awesome.

ChrisMC

Yes, I think this movie is gonna knock our pants off! Time to do some screencaps....
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bromptonboy

Pete

Rico

Bryancd

OK, just got back from the Hobbit in 3D IMAX and wanted to post some thoughts about the 9min. trailer here. No major spoilers but I will keep it hidden in case anyone wants to be suprised going in to see this footage.

[spoiler]WOW, that was frackin' great. It starts off with a couple waking up, there's a super cool Burmese Mountain Dog that hops into bed with them. I love seeing dogs in Trek, even that nasty one from TOS with the horns. They are in London and travel to a mansion on an estate that has been converted into a hospital. They meet with a doctor and then visit with their ailing daughter. There is no dialogue through any of this. Then the father is outside and he is approached by CumberKhan and he tells him that he can save her. The dad asks who are you but there is no answer. This seems to me likely that he is an augment and perhaps has the ability to do what their medicine can not. Would make sense.

Then you cut to a very prolonged sequence on the red foliage planet in the teaser trailer where Kirk and McCoy are running. The banter between them is terrific. Apparently they are trying to save this primitive culture from a volcano and trying to not violate the Prime Directive. The Enterprise is hidden in the sea. Spock, Uhara, and Sulu are in a shuttle and Spock is lowered into he volcano with a device that will stop the eruption. Nothing goes to plan and lot's of excitement and tension ensue. That was really the meat of it and it looked GREAT in 3D. Everyone is looking to be spot on in their roles. This is going to be an amazing ride and I can't wait! [/spoiler]

Rico

Same as my feelings from the 9 min. of footage, Bryan.  I simply can't wait to see this entire movie now!

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on December 17, 2012, 03:54:56 PM
Same as my feelings from the 9 min. of footage, Bryan.  I simply can't wait to see this entire movie now!

One thing confirmed for me...

[spoiler]Based on the underwater sequence when Kirk and McCoy swim down to the ship, they have made the Enterprise HUGE.[/spoiler]

Thanks for pushing me to seeing it today! I was planning on the HFR non-IMAX version of the Hobbit.

Rico

A new viral site has popped up for the film based on this URL seen in the new teaser trailer.

http://www.areyouthe1701.com/

Bryancd

Man, those "caskets" in that scene fromn the new trailer sure look a lot like cryo tubes, they even have frost on the windows.

"Are you the 1701" makes it sound like they are taking about people who are numbers....he is so Khan.

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on December 18, 2012, 09:45:31 AM
Man, those "caskets" in that scene fromn the new trailer sure look a lot like cryo tubes, they even have frost on the windows.

"Are you the 1701" makes it sound like they are taking about people who are numbers....he is so Khan.

Yep - agreed.  If they are just messing with us now I feel that is wrong - especially if the scenes they are showing are critical points in the film.  Even if he is just another genetically altered human but named John Harrison - that's still pretty much Khan to me.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on December 18, 2012, 02:25:27 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on December 18, 2012, 09:45:31 AM

Yep - agreed.  If they are just messing with us now I feel that is wrong - especially if the scenes they are showing are critical points in the film.  Even if he is just another genetically altered human but named John Harrison - that's still pretty much Khan to me.

I like all the numerous references and images of family in all the trailers so far. The couple with the child, CumberKhan and Admiral Pike's voice overs. We know Khan had hsi family and even in the Augment episode of Enterprise Soon had his "family".