News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillEagle

Rico

I'm still thinking this Harrison character is some type of augmented human.  The Robert April connection just seems kind of not needed to me.  I'm also thinking they might be just taking bits and pieces of Trek lore and kind of blending them together into something new.  Certainly going to be interesting to see.

Ktrek

Abrams says that the film was made for "movie" fans but Star Trek fans should enjoy it too. Five more months and we'll see. I won't be attending the Hobbit at Imax just so I can see a nine minute preview of the film. I'm sure there will be videos of it online within hours anyway. Heck the way things go these days we'll probably be able to see a complete bootleg version of it before it hits the theaters! :)

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

davekill

Cumberbatch confirms his character name:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/...nder-an-alias/

In a new interview with Access Hollywood, Benedict Cumberbatch has referred to his Star Trek character by name for the first time and it matches the official info:

I play a character called John and not that other name. It's interesting. Speculation is speculation and that's all fun.

What other name? He'd been accused of being Khan, under an alias.

I play John Harrison who's a terrorist and an extraordinary character in his own right. He's somebody who is not your two-dimensional cookie cutter villain. He's got an extraordinary purpose, and I hope that at one point or other in the film you might even sympathize with the reasons he's doing what he's doing — not necessarily the means and the destruction he causes. But it was a great ride, not just because he's the bad guy and the antagonist but also because he has a purpose and it's hard not to see his point of view at certain points.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, as they say.

There is much more to this than meets the eye, don't you think?

Rico

This article by Trek expert John Tenuto sums up my thoughts very well on all this.  I agree with John and still say Cumberbatch is basically going to be playing Khan - even if he has another name for some of even all of the film.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/12/tenutoblog-making-the-case-for-identifying-the-star-trek-into-darkness-villain/

Bromptonboy

Pete

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on December 12, 2012, 05:59:18 PM
I'm still thinking this Harrison character is some type of augmented human.  The Robert April connection just seems kind of not needed to me.  I'm also thinking they might be just taking bits and pieces of Trek lore and kind of blending them together into something new.  Certainly going to be interesting to see.
That sounds entirely plausible.  I was thinking that he must be some sort of replicant, or genetically modified human - who would elicit some measure of sympathy.
Pete

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on December 13, 2012, 08:48:46 AM
This article by Trek expert John Tenuto sums up my thoughts very well on all this.  I agree with John and still say Cumberbatch is basically going to be playing Khan - even if he has another name for some of even all of the film.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/12/tenutoblog-making-the-case-for-identifying-the-star-trek-into-darkness-villain/

It's interesting that he didn't deny he was playing Khan, just that it wasn't his character's name.

Bromptonboy

Maybe he will be a re-named 'Gary Seven'.  :)
Pete

davekill

John Tenuto also confirms another good point...

"It is well known that JJ Abrams has used Nolan's Batman series as a model for his reboot of Star Trek, which is even evident in the recently revealed poster for Into Darkness."

For a different spin I would have liked to see JMS get a crack at the reboot, he had said before that he would have liked to. :)

Ktrek

Oh joy...Bane Star Trek style. I'm thrilled.
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

davekill

:batman Glad it's not Transformers Trek

Bryancd

QuadShot

WHY in the world are you all CONTINUALLY bashing on Bane? I enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises, and liked Bane as a villain.

Bryancd

Quote from: QuadShot on December 13, 2012, 02:24:14 PM
WHY in the world are you all CONTINUALLY bashing on Bane? I enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises, and liked Bane as a villain.

Bane was lame. :) I couldn't understand a word he said and his entire pathos was lost on me.