• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMC

Yeah, I think we all agree on that. Almost makes you think they aren't jazzed about it. I'm sure that's not true, but it's almost like the weird uncle who shows up at Thanksgiving. No one mentions him coming and when he shows up you have to try and ignore him.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

davekill

Quote from: Chris-El on November 27, 2012, 11:38:41 AM
Is terrorism the only thing that movies can use as allegory anymore? Was there more going on in the 60's than now? It's a weird synopsis, but I hope it makes sense in the coming weeks.

Enterprise took the same path in their third season and I think the ratings suffered for it.

As a fan I'd like to explore the Star Trek universe, not be reminded of current affairs. Bleh!

ChrisMC

Quote from: davekill on November 27, 2012, 11:51:35 AM
Quote from: Chris-El on November 27, 2012, 11:38:41 AM
Is terrorism the only thing that movies can use as allegory anymore? Was there more going on in the 60's than now? It's a weird synopsis, but I hope it makes sense in the coming weeks.

Enterprise took the same path in their third season and I think the ratings suffered for it.

As a fan I'd like to explore the Star Trek universe, not be reminded of current affairs. Bleh!
I completely agree. I guess I want Trek to be more sci-fi and less sci-fi action.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Dangelus

Hmm anybody else getting a "Section 31" vibe from that synopsis?

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on November 27, 2012, 12:13:29 PM

Excpet we know the villian is from TOS canon and there was no Section 31 in TOS.

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on November 27, 2012, 12:34:17 PM
Quote from: Dangelus on November 27, 2012, 12:13:29 PM

Excpet we know the villian is from TOS canon and there was no Section 31 in TOS.

Actually I don't think they ever specified "TOS canon", just Trek canon. TOS makes sense given the time frame though.

Bryancd

That's true, Joe, I suppose they didn't but they did list 4 TOS villians and said it was one of them.

Dangelus

The villain may be from TOS cannon but no reason Section 31 can't be the organisation. The beginnings of Section 31 were shown in Enterprise so the implication is that they were around during TOS even if we didn't see them.

Geekyfanboy

One good reason for not being a huge fan of the original.. This is all new to me. :)

WillEagle

I don't think it will be Gary Mitchell or Khan. Mitchell because as was said earlier he has been in the comics and I just don't see them using Khan in the 2nd movie. That was already done!

Dangelus

Well it's an intruiging synopsis. It at least tells us two things. The threat comes from within and there is an individual with great power. Souls be interesting whoever it turns out to be.

Rico

Ok, I'm becoming more convinced that Karl Urban slipped up months ago and we are really going to be seeing Benedict Cumberbatch play Gary Mitchell.  Actress Alice Eve is in this movie and her character has not been revealed yet.  Take a look at the pics below of Alice Eve on set and a couple possibilities for her from TOS.  She could be Elizabeth Dehner or possibly a younger Carol Marcus.  But man, the hairstyle sure looks like Dehner's.  Not that it can't be someone else, but wow I am really thinking it's a Mitchell story.  Also check out the image of Spock and Mitchell from the ongoing Trek comic and how it compares to that scene leaked months ago.

Bromptonboy

Hmmm...compelling evidence...but will a jury convict?  :)
Pete

X

Quote from: Bromptonboy on December 02, 2012, 07:50:04 AM
Hmmm...compelling evidence...but will a jury convict?  :)
All circumstantial thus far. The nerve pinch comparison could also be made to pretty much every other nerve pinch from behind. I would say the the jury is still out.

Rico

Oh, I'm the first to say this is all just conjecture at this point.  But, I find it pretty convincing myself.  Of course, it could all be a huge ruse and misdirection on JJ's part.  Heck, that "leaked" pic of Alice Eve on set could have been a fabricated joke and her hairstyle or costume looks nothing like that in the film.  However, it will slightly annoy me if that were the case.