• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Just watched a video interview with Karl Urban from Comic Con. They asked him about the gary Mitchell comment. He said he went into the interview after a 22 hour flight but couldn't comment on it. Sounds like he slipped up!

Dangelus

It will be interesting if it is Mitchell although it would be a mega coincidence if the same guy gets affected the same way at a different time. Aren't we about 10 years Pre-TOS era in this universe?

ChrisMC

Depends on how much time has passed. In the first film, it was 2258 by the end, and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is in 2265 (the last from my Star Trek chronology book). So if a few years has gone by, it's not too far off from the original voyage's years.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

You guys gotta watch the interview, it's towards the end but you can tell how uncomfortable he is! LOL! Poor guy, JJ's team was probably giving him hell!
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92520

Rico

It's not Mitchell.  For a few reasons and here's one of the biggest reasons.  They are already using Mitchell in the comics.  It's been stated that by near the time the movie comes out (10 months from now), the plan is to have the comics lead into the film.  I can't see them using the character who will be the main villain in the next film in the monthly comic already.  I also think this is all one, big planned misdirection.  The comments come out shortly before Comic Con.  Now they are playing this little game with Karl Urban.  Anyway, I really think this is all just a little gag they are playing on the fans.  But, I'm not swallowing it.  I could be wrong, but it just doesn't add up to me.

Bryancd

It would be refreshing IF they actually DID some marketing!

Jobydrone

Wasn't this article posted here last month? 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/26/characters-not-in-the-next-star-trek-movie-according-to-writer-bob-orci/

As part of a headline farming exercise, Aint It Cool News' Hercules pestered Star Trek co-writer Roberto Orci for some news on the Ask Mr. KERN radio show last weekend. He did quite well.

One headline he could have opted for would have concerned the possibility of a new Star Trek TV series. I listened to the show, and while Orci talked about early negotiations for a fresh Star Trek show, it would depend on an agreement between Bad Robot, Paramount, and CBS.  There's no pitch as yet, just a lot of red tape, so there's no concept of whether or not the show would tie into the new movie continuity or be standalone, but he did say that the first enquiries made were specifically about an animated show.

Another headline is the one I've gone for. Hercules named four characters and Orci stated, very clearly, that none of them have any part in the new movie. They are:

Janice Rand
Gary Mitchell
Charlie X
Ruk the Android
What's more, he stated pretty clearly that there's no Borg in the film either.

And the third, least effective but still oddly intriguing headline, was Orci's estimation of a 75% chance that the new film will have the words Star Trek in the title.

Which is the same thing as a 25% chance it won't.

He was apparently drunk at the time of the interview (well, that's what they claim anyway) so those bizarre odds probably deserve even more salting than normally. My hunch is that they know full well what they want to call the film and they're just waiting for the right time to announce it.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

If Rico is right and all this is a gag on the fans they should be careful and think about what they're doing pretty clearly.  It would be a shame to squander the goodwill they generated with the first film (against all odds I might add) by playing childish games and toying with fans expectations.   Even some here have already expressed their annoyance at the way this all is going down, and I think it's safe to say that this is about the most tolerant and open minded group of Star Trek fans in the universe.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

They should have just come out and dismissed Karl's comments instead of playing around with it.  I don't think it will really have any lasting negative impact but it's all a little unprofessional - in my view.  I'm really still hoping they don't squander Comic Con completely and we get some REAL info.  Remember today is the biggest day of the con.  Fingers crossed!

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on July 14, 2012, 05:09:02 AM
They should have just come out and dismissed Karl's comments instead of playing around with it.  I don't think it will really have any lasting negative impact but it's all a little unprofessional - in my view.  I'm really still hoping they don't squander Comic Con completely and we get some REAL info.  Remember today is the biggest day of the con.  Fingers crossed!

That's why it still seems that it could be a possibility to me that this was a proof, not a goof. :)

Rico

New interview with Bob Orci.  Based on his comments below, Cumberbatch is not playing Gary Mitchell - but he is playing an established "Star Trek" canon character (as is Alice Eve too).  This actually contradicts earlier reports about the character Alice Eve was playing would be new to the franchise.  I'm starting to go along with Dangelus on much of this in thinking that they rewrote this script a lot after they couldn't get Benicio.  Anyway, read on...

Orci reveals Cumberbatch is canon character but not Mitchell + much more

TrekMovie.com: A couple of weeks ago you were on a radio show and you confirmed that Benedict Cumberbatch is not playing Gary Mitchell in the sequel. Then last week Karl Urban says he is playing Gary Mitchell. Both can't be true.

Roberto Orci: All I can say is that when I did that radio interview I had just been doing 22 hours of press. I had just got off a flight from New Zealand...

TrekMovie.com: Nice callback, but are you sticking with your original comment and it isn't Gary Mitchell.

Roberto Orci: I would say that I never lie. While Karl tests all those hypo spray props on himself [laughs]

TrekMovie.com: Another thing Karl is saying is there is some footage being released this weekend. Do you know anything about that?

Roberto Orci: No. I would love to see some.

TrekMovie.com: For the last movie your first full trailer with new footage was with Quantum of Solace which was in late October of 2008. So following that pattern should we expect the first sequel trailer sometime this fall?

Roberto Orci: Yeah. Marketing plans, especially for the second time around, get a little more clear. You know you want a certain amount of time for an audience to be aware of what is coming up. So certainly fall at the latest for starting to role this movie out.

TrekMovie.com: Have you guys picked a name for the movie.

Roberto Orci: No, but we are down to the final list.

TrekMovie.com: Is having "Star Trek" as part of the name a variable?

Roberto Orci: Only one or two of the titles on the list do not contain it. For the most part all the titles we are considering do have Star Trek in them, but just to get crazy we need to consider crazy things.

TrekMovie.com: So how long will we not know who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing? How long will you guys try to not talk about it?

Roberto Orci: For as long as we can because of our belief that one of the fun things about Star Trek that distinguishes it from other franchises is that the story turns. It isn't just the spectacle of Star Trek, not just the explosions and the battles, it is the plot. That is why we are so protective of plot and character with this particular franchise. In others that isn't the case but in this one we can preserve the experience for some people of not knowing exactly until we get there. Will we succeed in keeping it under wraps? Probably not, but we will try it.

TrekMovie.com: OK, I want to try and get something out of you that is actually new about the movie. Kind of like you did on the radio show but I will name a guest actor in the sequel and you will say if they are playing a new character you created or one from the original Star Trek canon.

Roberto Orci: OK, I'll play.

TrekMovie.com: OK let's start with Alice Eve. Canon or new?

Roberto Orci: Canon

TrekMovie.com: Noel Clarke?

Roberto Orci: New

TrekMovie.com: I assume that also goes for Nanzeen Contractor, who plays his wife?

Roberto Orci: Yes, new.

TrekMovie.com: Peter Weller

Roberto Orci: New.

TrekMovie.com: Joseph Gatt

Roberto Orci: New.

TrekMovie.com: OK and the big one, Benedict Cumberbatch.

Roberto Orci: Canon.

TrekMovie.com: Can you give me a status update on post-production. What is happening in July.

Roberto Orci: Trying to make each sequence and trying to make it work. We have two brilliant editors working simultaneously with JJ going back and forth. So get these sequences working internally and then we will string them together to see how they work as a whole. But first it is, don't try to cut the whole movie, it here is a sequence so where does that start and where does it end? Do we have a little piece of the movie that is totally working. We attack it modularly.

TrekMovie.com: So music is still far off I know, but when does the sound work start,  does Ben Burtt, he's back right? So is their work still in the future?

Roberto Orci: Still in the future. You don't want them to waste their time for things that may not end up in the movie. So sound design, anything like that. But ILM is in there dropping FX in sequences as we go. There are things we knew would be in there since the beginning and they have had a nice long time.

TrekMovie.com: When do you think there will be the first rough cut?

Roberto Orci: Probably in a month.

TrekMovie.com: What has been the reaction from the studio so far?

Roberto Orci: It is always nice to hear nice things from the studio and they are over the moon. They were very complimentary when we wrapped and some said they thought it was better than the first one. But you know they want to encourage us.

TrekMovie.com: Sure, but this is their business so these are the kind of people who would let you know if they had problems, they would tell you it sucks if they thought it sucks right?

Roberto Orci: I think so. You don't often get such well acted praise [laughs].

TrekMovie.com: What about you? What have been some of your reactions to the footage you have seen so far?

Roberto Orci: I am such a Star Trek fan that I'm not sure I would dislike anything we have shot so I'm not sure I'm a good source. I see them all in uniform on the ship and I'm like "Wow! This is great! New Star Trek!" But I'm the wrong guy to ask. But every few weeks during dailies I would see a new email chain go around with stuff like "Did you see that scene yesterday?" "Did you see Spock in that new close?" "Did you see Cumberbatch make it sound like poetry?" So to hear other people chattering about it is encouraging. And it's big. It's so big. It's epic. We just really went for a bigger version than we did last time, because of the trust.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/14/exclusive-interview-roberto-orci-reveals-star-trek-sequel-character-details-talks-title-post-production/

Bryancd

OK, I figured it out...it's Finnegan. :)

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on July 15, 2012, 05:37:38 AM
OK, I figured it out...it's Finnegan. :)

I had the exact same thought Jimmy me boy! :)

ChrisMC

Only if they have that bouncy Irish jig music playing, then I'm OK with it!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/