Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meds

Peggy's done a Shatner with his hair.  :o

Rico

IMAX 3D for next year's film.

IMAX Corporation and Paramount Pictures Corporation today announced that the sequel to J.J. Abrams' 2009 blockbuster Star Trek, will be released in the immersive IMAX 3D format on May 17, 2013. The film represents the second feature in the ground-breaking franchise to be released in IMAX following Star Trek, which grossed more than $375 million at the worldwide box office....

Full story:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91489

Poodyglitz

Just saw this teaser trailer for the next Star Trek movie (Khan you dig it?):

http://youtu.be/0EYYG3FZMN8

Rico

This is fan made, fake teaser trailer and was already posted in the Trek XII thread a few weeks back.

(topics merged too)

Rico

Chris Pine has some interesting stuff to say in the article below about the movie.

Pine: Star Trek sequel story is 'better' + Kurtzman: Sequel has 'hugely bold moves'

Pine isn't revealing spoilers, but did have this to say to AICN about the Star Trek sequel:

The movie is relentless, and for the visually inclined people who want to see major sequences, there are a couple specifically that I think... I'm not a huge 3-D fan, but I think will be incredible. But what I'm more excited about and what I think they did so well is that really the story is that much better, and the journey that these guys go on is that much more, and what they always talked about is that even though they're a crew from what we know about the original team, the fun of getting there is following that journey to where they become that tight-knit crew. It's no fun if they're already a tight-knit crew. So suffice it to say, they're still learning how to get along.

And People Like Us director Alex Kurtzman also weighed in, talking more about the arc and interactions of the bridge crew:

[The bridge crew] only really came together as a team at the end of the first movie as a function of story. But the bridge crew from the original series, they aren't those people yet, neither in age nor in experience. So I think the worst mistake that we could have made was to assume that they were there already at the top of the movie and skip that stuff. And the other thing I'll say without revealing too much is that in the first TREK, we made choices–in our invention of the story–that were extremely controversial. Blowing up Vulcan, hugely controversial choice, and we knew that die hard Trekkers were either going to skewer us or accept it based on the emotional architecture around that choice. I think for us, TREK is at its best when it is making hugely bold moves like that, and there will be hugely bold moves in this one.

MORE TREK TALK FROM CHRIS

Speaking to RedEyeChicago Chris Pine talked about how he feels that Star Trek fans warmed up to him after some initial reluctance.

Chris, what's something that surprised you about Capt. Kirk, either from playing him or people's reactions to how you played him?
CP: Well, I will say my favorite comment that I get from hardcore fans, and they mean it as a compliment and it is, but it's quite funny when it comes out on their lips, is, [talking quietly, seriously,] "You know, when we found out you were going to play Capt. Kirk, we were so angry. We were so sad. We were so nervous. But you turned out to be pretty good." That's the most backhanded compliment of all time.

Why do you think they were nervous or sad at the time?
CP: Certainly because I hadn't done anything in my career that would—"Star Trek" fans are very protective, and understandably so. I'm sure there was nothing in my great, teeming body of work to prove that I could take on the character.

I'm sure they wanted Shatner back with a good makeup job.
CP: Totally. Totally. What was surprising to me ... well, I will say this, having not been a born and bred ["Star Trek"] fan, the first time that all of us were on the bridge and I sat in the captain's chair ... looking around, it was like points of light in the audience. When that moment happened, there were real fans in the crew, grips and gaffers, the art department people, they had come just to watch that moment. Because for them it was a really momentous occasion, and I, not really understanding the gravity or the coolness of it, was kind of unaware until I saw these people light up ... What it means to sit in that chair is quite powerful. Anyway, the chair became this wonderful, beautiful touchstone that was reflective of not only the journey in the film but also who you are and what you are as a person and how you want to sit in your own chair, for lack of a better metaphor. It was really cool.

And speaking to HitFix, Pine said that shooting the Star Trek sequel was "like camp that you get paid for." He also gave this assessment of the upcoming movie:

The new one is just as exciting if not bigger than the first. I think the character story...the great thing that Alex, Bob, JJ and Damon are good at is marrying small character driven films with big blockbuster actors. I that is what sets them apart from other film makers.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/26/chris-pine-talks-fan-feedback-shooting-star-trek-sequel-more-video-roundup-of-people-like-us-publicity-tour/

ChrisMC

Am I the only one who is getting slightly annoyed that we haven't had a whiff of anything about this movie officially? They aren't going to Comic-Con, they haven't told us the title, not a darn thing. I don't mind waiting 4 years for a movie if it means it's gonna be great, but a morsel would be nice. It's like 10 months away. The Dark Knight Rises has been giving out morsels for a while, and it's been 4 years as well.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

X

Quote from: Chris-El on July 03, 2012, 01:02:00 PM
Am I the only one who is getting slightly annoyed that we haven't had a whiff of anything about this movie officially? They aren't going to Comic-Con, they haven't told us the title, not a darn thing. I don't mind waiting 4 years for a movie if it means it's gonna be great, but a morsel would be nice. It's like 10 months away. The Dark Knight Rises has been giving out morsels for a while, and it's been 4 years as well.
I'm not upset or concerned at all. I think it's refreshing that they aren't trying to sell a product that isn't complete. i don't need morsels, I'm going see it. I think we'll see something as soon as post is complete and the final version of the film is approved.

Bryancd

Quote from: X on July 03, 2012, 03:31:39 PM
I'm not upset or concerned at all. I think it's refreshing that they aren't trying to sell a product that isn't complete. i don't need morsels, I'm going see it. I think we'll see something as soon as post is complete and the final version of the film is approved.

I agree with Chris, I think generating fan excitement and interest early served them well with the first film and considering the length of the hiatus and the many means to tease a film nowadays (Prometheus has a whole viral campaign which was terrific) I think it's a mistake that they are being so cagey about it. They don;t need to release any film specific info., just get people excited about the return of STAR TREK. Big missed opportunity, IMO.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Bryancd on July 03, 2012, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: X on July 03, 2012, 03:31:39 PM

I agree with Chris, I think generating fan excitement and interest early served them well with the first film and considering the length of the hiatus and the many means to tease a film nowadays (Prometheus has a whole viral campaign which was terrific) I think it's a mistake that they are being so cagey about it. They don;t need to release any film specific info., just get people excited about the return of STAR TREK. Big missed opportunity, IMO.
That's all I'm saying. Every Trekkie that I knew went to see Nemesis...and it tanked. Of COURSE I'm going to see it. I think a ton of the success of the first one was the marketing. It pulled in non-Trekkies. Plus I know I'm not being logical, I just want to know a little something, like the title. Whet the old Trek appetite.

In comparison, the Facebook page for Iron Man 3 has a piece of concept art up, no big deal, but their release dates are weeks apart, and hey, it's a little something to analyze. Just sayin'.

https://www.facebook.com/ironmanmovie
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

I think Trek needs a LOT more pre-release publicity and hype then Ironman 3. Again, it's lost opportunity and it's curious that JJ and Co., who demonstrated such solid marketing savvy for the first TREK film are failing to be more proactive this time. Makes me curious as to what is going on behind the scenes.

X

I think that the attention span of a majority of the world is fairly limited. I wouldn't be surprised if they saved the push to start during the holiday season. I think six months of targeted marketing and buildup would be much better than trying to milk the same content for almost a year. Plus, it's cheaper to market it over a six month window than a year window.

Spiderman was the same way, little was heard about it officially until this huge push that has been going on in the last few weeks.

Rico

I'm not a big believer in marketing hype, ads, etc.  I think when the movie comes out if it's good, people will go.  As a big Trek fan, of course I'd love it if we had more info at this point - like at least a movie title.  I would expect JJ & Co. to do like they did last time - to a degree.  Soon we will probably be getting some kind of short teaser trailer and easily by the late fall a full trailer.  And also expect some fun web based sites to pop up like last time too.  At least we have a release date!  :)

Dangelus

I've got a feeling part if the reason for the major lack of information on this movie is they have had some majors issues which caused the delays. Casting, plot, story etc I feel have been up in the air a bit and I'm sure some major rewriting had been going on.

Not necessarily the end of the world, I'm sure it will be a good movie but they could really do with a little promotion now like Chris and Bryan are saying.

Rico

What surprises me most is the word is there won't be anything really shown at Comic Con.  No teaser, no panel from what I've heard, etc.  This is a mistake.  This is geek mecca and the movie will be out next May so this Comic Con is their chance to create some early buzz.  Maybe they will surprise and do something, but I doubt it.

Dangelus

Who do these guys think they are? Apple?!! :)