• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangelus

At this rate there'll be a cameo by Matt Smith's Doctor too! Haven't they always wanted to do a Trek / Who crossover? What better time? ;)

WillEagle

You can see a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch here along with a little info about some other films he will be in.www.imbd.com/news/ni20594353/

Poodyglitz

Quote from: WillEagle on January 05, 2012, 08:31:50 PM
You can see a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch here along with a little info about some other films he will be in.www.imbd.com/news/ni20594353/

404 error.

Rico

Looks like you reversed some letters in the link.  Here's the correct link:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni20594353/

Interesting choice.  Remember, it's been stated that this will be a new and original story.  So I don't think he will be playing a character we already know.

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on January 06, 2012, 08:30:00 AM
Looks like you reversed some letters in the link.  Here's the correct link:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni20594353/

Interesting choice.  Remember, it's been stated that this will be a new and original story.  So I don't think he will be playing a character we already know.

He will make a great Klingon.

Rico

Well, he should do well in whatever the role happens to be.  It seems he's a very well regarded actor.  I guess I really need to finally watch "Sherlock" now.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on January 06, 2012, 08:39:11 AM
I guess I really need to finally watch "Sherlock" now.

That's so funny, I just saw that show on Netflix streaming and was wondering what it was.

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on January 06, 2012, 08:39:11 AM
Well, he should do well in whatever the role happens to be.  It seems he's a very well regarded actor.  I guess I really need to finally watch "Sherlock" now.

Yep he has great "presence", great actor.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on January 06, 2012, 08:30:00 AM
Remember, it's been stated that this will be a new and original story.  So I don't think he will be playing a character we already know.

Original story, yes, but I think the jury is still out as to whether or not we see a TOS character.

Rico

Possibly.  But how original would it really be if this actor plays Khan, or Kor, or Trelane, or Q, or whatever?  I certainly wouldn't call that very original.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on January 06, 2012, 09:08:21 AM
Possibly.  But how original would it really be if this actor plays Khan, or Kor, or Trelane, or Q, or whatever?  I certainly wouldn't call that very original.

Yeah, I know, I hear you, but with the exception of Khan or Q, the other options might be a bit more obscure and fresh to a wider audience...just not us.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Rico on January 06, 2012, 09:08:21 AM

Agreed. No Trelaine, Harry Mudd, Cyrano Jones, etc.

Dangelus

There are so many possibilities for an original story on this universe that I'd be very disappointed if a known character was the main focus of the story.

I'm sure we will see a known character in the movie as a "nod" to TOS and the fans but I really hope it is more of a cameo.

Think about it:

1) they could do a great Klingon story without resorting to using a character we have already seen. There is a lot they could explore here as the Klingons were pretty one dimensional in TOS.

2) the Romulans and their origins are known to the Federation in this universe (at this point in time). We could get a great Romulan story.

3) how about an insane Vulcan survivor or something involving the vacuum created in the destruction of Vulcan in this universe?

Lots of potential, I just hope they do it right. I'm not a fan of the first movie but i can accept this is a new universe and forget about the inconsistencies in the first movie as to how this universe came about so that I can really get stuck into the meat of what JJ actually wants to do with Trek now he has established his universe.

Bryancd

Yeah, it would be a great little chuckle for the crew to run into a Harry Mudd character for a quick little fun scene but not the entire story.

Jobydrone

Well when Benicio was briefly attached we were told that he would be playing a character that was familiar to fans of the original series.  That could mean anything, of course. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx