• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Quote from: QuadShot on December 15, 2011, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on December 15, 2011, 10:51:09 AM
Personally, I still have difficulty believing that Pine is Kirk.  But I guess that's how Shatner played the part that's throwing me.

*oh well* *shrug*

King

What's wrong with Chris Pine? I thought he was fantastic as Kirk...

I don't think he's saying there is anything wrong with Chris Pine beyond him not being William Shatner. :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on December 15, 2011, 11:07:31 AM
Quote from: QuadShot on December 15, 2011, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on December 15, 2011, 10:51:09 AM
Personally, I still have difficulty believing that Pine is Kirk.  But I guess that's how Shatner played the part that's throwing me.

*oh well* *shrug*

King

What's wrong with Chris Pine? I thought he was fantastic as Kirk...

I don't think he's saying there is anything wrong with Chris Pine beyond him not being William Shatner. :)

Pretty much this.  :)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on December 15, 2011, 08:19:41 AM
One thing I find a bit odd is you guys talk about missing the way phasers shoot or the way the Enterprise warps, but I think you might be missing a few bigger things.  Like NEW actors for all the TOS characters!  Once I saw that I had no trouble thinking of this as a different version of Trek.  :)

The thing is over the years we have seen many actors in different Trek shows and movies so we are used to that. I think it was easier to accept new actors in these roles for this reason and because of course it is a contempory reboot and had to have new young actors.

It just doesn't "feel" like Trek to me, it's hard to explain. It feels like an a very well made action Sci Fi movie with familiar elements from the Trek universe. Perhaps part of the problem for me is that I see these movies as the reason we won't be getting Trek TV series anytime soon. I know this isn't the real reason but I can't help feeling a little of that. :)

Bryancd

I hear you Dan and I have a similar reaction to it.

ChrisMC

Yeah i kinda agree....it's the 30 plus years of previous Trek clouding my perceptions.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

WillEagle

I have said this before but here I go again. When I starting watching the 2009 Trek I didn't fully jump in until they mentioned this being in an alternate universe. Then I was all in and really enjoyed it! I can't wait for the new movie and I do hope it doesn't use Khan. I know its a different universe but we already had a Khan movie and there is nobody better than the original Khan. There are so many possibilities out there for them to just come out with another Khan movie. May of 2013 can't get here soon enough.

stonut

Simon Pegg and one if the exec producer recently did an interview and said the baddy is not Khan.
In fact the exec said what is the point of creating a new universe to do an old story.

Rico

It's becoming more and more confirmed that this WILL NOT be a Khan story.  It will be an original story for this new group.  Also, JJ Abrams is not filming it in 3-D, it will be post-converted later.  Why - oh why?!?!

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on December 22, 2011, 08:41:13 AM
  Also, JJ Abrams is not filming it in 3-D, it will be post-converted later.  Why - oh why?!?!

THAT is a big mistake and missed opportunity. Makes you wonder how much faith the studio has with the franchise. They should provide the budget to film this in native 3D.

turtlesrock

what's the difference between filmed in 3D and converted later? it's going to end up in 3D either way, so why not do whichever is more cost-effective?

Rico

Agreed.

We're shooting on film, 2-D, and then we'll do a good high-end conversion like the 'Harry Potter' movie and all that. Luckily, with our release date now we have the months needed to do it right because if you rush it, it never looks good.... "We were talking about [shooting in IMAX] and I would love to do it. IMAX is my favorite format; I'm a huge fan," he added.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/12/20/jj-abrams-gives-star-trek-sequel-update-to-be-shot-in-2-d-converted/

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on December 22, 2011, 08:50:03 AM
Agreed.

We’re shooting on film, 2-D, and then we’ll do a good high-end conversion like the ‘Harry Potter’ movie and all that. Luckily, with our release date now we have the months needed to do it right because if you rush it, it never looks good…. "We were talking about [shooting in IMAX] and I would love to do it. IMAX is my favorite format; I’m a huge fan," he added.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/12/20/jj-abrams-gives-star-trek-sequel-update-to-be-shot-in-2-d-converted/

Hmmm. Even with time I just don't see how up converting will ever look as good, although i did not see the last Harry Potter movie. I did hear the 3D in that was pretty good, though.

bevs_plaything

It's becoming more and more confirmed that this WILL NOT be a Khan story.
[/quote]

That is great news!  Trying to remake Khan is like trying to remake Star Wars, or The Wizard of Oz...a complete waste of time!  :)

X

Quote from: bevs_plaything on December 30, 2011, 01:43:14 PM
  It's becoming more and more confirmed that this WILL NOT be a Khan story.

That is great news!  Trying to remake Khan is like trying to remake Star Wars, or The Wizard of Oz...a complete waste of time!  :)

Star wars could use a good remake by now. Rather than trying to shoehorn GL's vision into a 30 year old film, he needs to just get new actors to film what he seems to think he wanted.

Also, think the wizard of oz needs a good make over so that they can actually do the subsequent books as a franchise.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on December 22, 2011, 08:53:44 AM
Quote from: Rico on December 22, 2011, 08:50:03 AM
Agreed.

We're shooting on film, 2-D, and then we'll do a good high-end conversion like the 'Harry Potter' movie and all that. Luckily, with our release date now we have the months needed to do it right because if you rush it, it never looks good.... "We were talking about [shooting in IMAX] and I would love to do it. IMAX is my favorite format; I'm a huge fan," he added.

Hmmm. Even with time I just don't see how up converting will ever look as good, although i did not see the last Harry Potter movie. I did hear the 3D in that was pretty good, though.

The last potter was good and I thought it was native when I knew it wasn't It wasn't as layered as the native stuff, but they did it tastefully.