• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X

Quote from: Bryancd on June 01, 2011, 05:17:26 PM
I agree the writers nailed it, I would suggest JJ's direction was average.
Yeah, I only give JJ props because he was the director/producer and had to approve the story. I wasn't 100% thrilled with the actual film directing

Bryancd

Quote from: X on June 01, 2011, 05:19:10 PM
Yeah, I only give JJ props because he was the director/producer and had to approve the story. I wasn't 100% thrilled with the actual film directing

Right, that's where I was going. Besides the lens flare, to much hand held camera work for me. Oh, and I would have spent the $ and made a real set for Engineering instead of a practical real world one that didn't work for me. Oh, and loose the Scotty in tubes of water nonsense....

X

Quote from: Bryancd on June 01, 2011, 05:23:57 PM

Right, that's where I was going. Besides the lens flare, to much hand held camera work for me. Oh, and I would have spent the $ and made a real set for Engineering instead of a practical real world one that didn't work for me. Oh, and loose the Scotty in tubes of water nonsense....
No disagreements here. I think that there was enough damage to the ship to justify a real set now that the power know that they can get a return on the investment.

Rico

Wow - it's like 2009 all over again.  ;)

davekill

Quote from: Quarks Ally on June 01, 2011, 04:51:14 PM
Since I'm new here I'll take this moment to give a mini review of the last Star Trek film.  I take it by the post by most of those here that I am in the minority.  Yes I liked the movie for what it was, a fun mindless summer film.  But as a Star Trek film I thought is was... so so.  Not a bad movie, but I didn't think it was a five star movie.  I would say 3 out of 5 stars.  I still think the Romulans were the weakest part of the movie when they should have been the strongest. 

Star Trek has always been plot heavy and basically (okay here it comes!) I've always thought of Star Wars as Star Trek without a plot.  I was never that big of a fan of Abrams to start with and I thought his weaknesses as a director showed through.   

I guess I'm one of those stubborn fans who thought they trashed the Trek universe a little too much.  Yes the franchise needed a kick in the pants, but I don't think it needed to be dynamited and rebuilt. 

I know most of you will disagree, that's just my take.  So in my mind there is no (alternate universe)  just Abrams fanfic.  I just don't consider it canon.  Kirk was born on Earth, Vulcan and Romulas are still there.  I guess I'm old fashioned.  Like I said, I basically enjoyed the movie... but...

Now you can all proceed to come get me!     :boxing

Abrams fanfic - hmmmmm.

I had not considered Trek 2.0 as a fan film with an extremely large budget.
Maybe the next movie will prove that assessment wrong.

turtlesrock

i kinda liked the scotty water thing. sure, it was a bit of a waste of time. indeed there was too much lens flare.
Star Trek (2009) in 5 Seconds XD perfect

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on June 01, 2011, 05:58:49 PM
Wow - it's like 2009 all over again.  ;)

Let's do the Time Warp again!!! :)

X

It's just a step to the left.

stonut

I heard yesterday on twitter that the new film will not be released until the later half of 2012 now, due to JJ's other commitments.still all good things to those that wait, i hope!

Rico

Quote from: stonut on June 02, 2011, 12:33:08 AM
I heard yesterday on twitter that the new film will not be released until the later half of 2012 now, due to JJ's other commitments.still all good things to those that wait, i hope!

Twitter isn't exactly a reliable news source, but this is certainly a good possibility still since the script isn't even ready.

Poodyglitz

All things considered, the Abrams version ranks as one of the top three best Star Trek movies up to this point. Let's face it, our Star Trek didn't quite live up to what it could have been in the movies.  So, let's see where this goes. If the quality is kept up, it could be very compelling.

I squirm a little bit at a Trek without Vulcan and Kirk's father (as well as an amorous Spock), but if the series builds a strong bond between Kirk, Spock and McCoy, then it's Star Trek. If they achieve this with great special effects, it's still Star Trek. If there are good, engaging stories, it's still Star Trek.

Perhaps the next installment will determine whether Star Trek XI was merely a fun homage or the best Star Trek ever.

My take on the Star Trek/Star Wars issue is that the former is science fiction, the latter is fantasy (I guess with the introduction of the Midichlorian, one could label Star Wars science fantasy  :dry).

Poodyglitz

Oh, and I would have spent the $ and made a real set for Engineering instead of a practical real world one that didn't work for me.

I'm with you on that one!

However, I did appreciate the lens flare and handheld camera. It made the film feel closer to "reality".

Poodyglitz

Quote from: X on June 01, 2011, 08:32:16 PM
It's just a step to the left.

And a jump to the right
Put your hands on your hips
And bend your knees in tight

But it's the Star Trek banter
That really drives you insay-yay-yayayayayne...

Let's do the "Time Warp" again!

Jobydrone

I can understand where the detractors are coming from.  Taking a history and universe you love and cherish and basically saying " Nope, none of that ever happened" can be a bitter pill to swallow.  But I'm just glad to know that the characters we love will have their stories continue to be told on screen for years to come.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

turtlesrock

sorry, with all of the time warp stuff i just have to post this:
Star Trek: Time Warp