• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Trek XII in the works

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 30, 2009, 10:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

BREAKING: Paramount Moving Forward On Star Trek Sequel - Supreme Court On Board  March 30, 2009
by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Paramount, ST09 Creative, Star Trek (2009 film), Star Trek sequel (2011) , trackback

First hinted at here at TrekMovie last June, Paramount have finally sealed the deal for the Trek's 'Supreme Court' to move forward on a sequel to their new Star Trek, five weeks before it even opens up. Variety broke the news Monday night, see below for the first details on the new Star Trek movie.

Get Ready for another Star Trek in 2011

Here are the facts from the Variety report:

* All five "Supreme Court" members back as producers: JJ Abrams, Bryan Burk, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof
    * Script to be written by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof (story in 'embryonic' stage)
    * JJ could possibly direct, no decision yet
    * Script to be delivered by Christmas 2009 for a possible Summer 2011 release

This is essentially the same set up as the first deal back in 2006 for the current film. Abrams did not sign on as director for the film until early 2007. The only difference is that Lindelof (an Emmy winning writer) is now also listed as screenwriter. However, in previous interviews with both Lindelof and the writers, it has been indicated that Damon worked closely with the writers as they were working on the script.

Lindelof is quoted in the Variety article:

There's obviously a lot of hubris involved in signing on to write a sequel of a movie that hasn't even come out yet. But we're so excited about the first one that we wanted to proceed.

Kurztman is also quoted on possible storylines:

Obviously we discussed ideas, but we are waiting to see how audiences respond next month. With a franchise rebirth, the first movie has to be about origin. But with a second, you have the opportunity to explore incredibly exciting things. We'll be ambitious about what we'll do.

Huge vote of confidence

There can be no greater indicator that Paramount believe they have a winner on their hand and they want to make sure they have the same team in place. Paramount has been pushing to get two-year gaps between the Iron Man (2008 & 2010) Transformers (2007, 2009 and possibly 2011), and so it makes sense foe them to want to do the same with Trek. It has been previously reported that all all the main cast have options for two sequels, so with the Supreme Court tied down, Paramount is ready to go.

One caveat, signing a deal to get a script is not the same thing as giving a film a green light. Obviously the performance of the new Star Trek film will be a major factor in how to proceed with a sequel. However, studio sources have been indicating to TrekMovie for quite a while that a sequel was always assumed and some feel that (like with the recent Batman relaunch), the follow-up film can be even bigger.

TrekMovie.com...home of the Star Trek sequel

TrekMovie will of course be following up on this big exciting news, and we expect to be the leader in news and information on the next Star Trek movie, just like we have been on the one coming in just a few weeks. In fact, we already have a category for the sequel.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/03/30/breaking-paramount-moving-forward-on-star-trek-sequel-supreme-court-on-board/

Dangelus

Wow!

Now that we are nearly there on movie number 1, we can have another two years to discuss / speculate on movie number 2! This is a geek's dream!  ;D

Feathers

Want to see one before talking about two :)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

If the coming movie is a success, there has never been any doubt they will do another.  One of the sad things about this though is it makes seeing a movie involving members of TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, etc. fairly unlikely.  There are also some little things that I won't mention until after May 8th that may bother some involving the course of this new movie series.  Time will tell what happens with it all.

X

Quote from: Rico on March 31, 2009, 05:01:26 AM
If the coming movie is a success, there has never been any doubt they will do another.  One of the sad things about this though is it makes seeing a movie involving members of TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, etc. fairly unlikely.  There are also some little things that I won't mention until after May 8th that may bother some involving the course of this new movie series.  Time will tell what happens with it all.
I never held out any hope that they would be doing any movies for those series anymore after Nemesis. I'm not seeing any problem let and you should throw your concerns up in a spoiler bracket. I'm curious to see what you are thinking.

Rico

It's not really a spoiler in my view - but here is what I am thinking....

[spoiler]It is becoming clear from the trailers that they are pretty much rewriting early Trek history - specifically the early TOS era.  Now, I've said many times I'm pretty ok with this, however if they continue this era and movie series I'm very curious how they reconcile that with all the Trek that has happened before.  For example, a very young, green Kirk appears to be in command of the Enterprise in the trailer for some period of time.  Will Starfleet leave him there?  It would seem odd if they did.  Anyway, much of this is guess work and conjecture right now.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited by this new adventure.  But I'm wondering how it's going to all play out.[/spoiler]

X

Quote from: Rico on March 31, 2009, 08:26:03 AM
It's not really a spoiler in my view - but here is what I am thinking....

[spoiler]It is becoming clear from the trailers that they are pretty much rewriting early Trek history - specifically the early TOS era.  Now, I've said many times I'm pretty ok with this, however if they continue this era and movie series I'm very curious how they reconcile that with all the Trek that has happened before.  For example, a very young, green Kirk appears to be in command of the Enterprise in the trailer for some period of time.  Will Starfleet leave him there?  It would seem odd if they did.  Anyway, much of this is guess work and conjecture right now.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited by this new adventure.  But I'm wondering how it's going to all play out.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] I got the same feeling and I think in my head that the universe and timeline will change. I don't think it will change that much, but I think that Kirk would be a stronger captain from it. Unlike the cadet that got control of the Valiant in DS9 and let the power go to his head. Maybe they decide to fast track him and he's more known, not for cheating on the Kubashi Maru, but for being the youngest Captain in Starfleet and surpassing his father's legacy. He might have even had a better death than generations and became even closer to Spock. Hopefully they have some novels for it too. In the end, I can accept it because I see the movie as a descendant of Enterprise and from that timeline created after the First Contact incident. If that makes any sense.[/spoiler]

Jaames

Quote from: Just X on March 31, 2009, 10:59:27 AM

In the end, I can accept it because I see the movie as a descendant of Enterprise and from that timeline created after the First Contact incident. If that makes any sense

Makes perfect sense.

I had this conversation with Jen the other day, I think "we" as fans sometimes mess things up for ourselves because we get too obsessed with timelines and cannon, when what we should be concerned about is a good story and whatever the heck it takes to keep Star Trek going.

wraith1701

I'm with X on this.  [spoiler]As far as I'm concerned, each time we see time travel, alternate timelines are created.  Some of those timelines might veer far from what we know of as Trek history, others might not veer as much.  For now, I'm fine with the idea that this film will mean an alternate history to the timeline we are familiar with, as long as it doesn't veer too far off track.  After all, It would be kind of boring to see exact remakes of all of the incidents already covered by the existing TV shows and films. 

I take comfort from the belief that this new timeline isn't the ONLY timeline, but just one of many.  I like to believe that the TOS and TNG era timeline remains intact; just in another reality.  Put another way, this new film represents the start of a new Trek set in an alternate universe to the Trek we remember. [/spoiler]  Like Nero said; "...That was a different life."

Ktrek

Until I actually see the new movie I'm going to reserve judgment as to whether this is good news or not. I am encouraged by it but mass market appeal of the product will likely mean the product is severely watered down to appeal to anyone and the "soul" of Star Trek may be lost in the pursuit of the almighty dollar and box office success.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

X

Quote from: Ktrek on March 31, 2009, 08:25:01 PM
Until I actually see the new movie I'm going to reserve judgment as to whether this is good news or not. I am encouraged by it but mass market appeal of the product will likely mean the product is severely watered down to appeal to anyone and the "soul" of Star Trek may be lost in the pursuit of the almighty dollar and box office success.

Kevin
I think that it all depends on how you define the "soul" of star trek. Is it City on the Edge of forever or Spock's Brain? Is it Dark Horizion or Threshold.

billybob476

Quote from: Just X on March 31, 2009, 08:45:45 PM
Quote from: Ktrek on March 31, 2009, 08:25:01 PM

Kevin
I think that it all depends on how you define the "soul" of star trek. Is it City on the Edge of forever or Spock's Brain? Is it Dark Horizion or Threshold.
Definitely Spock's Brain. :)

Poodyglitz

I'm just seeing this all as mirror universe Star Trek. For me, quintessential Trek is somewhere in the vicinity of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", "City On The Edge Of Forever", "The Cloud Minders" and (dare I say?) "Darmok".

X

Quote from: Darmok on April 01, 2009, 06:17:50 AM
I'm just seeing this all as mirror universe Star Trek. For me, quintessential Trek is somewhere in the vicinity of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", "City On The Edge Of Forever", "The Cloud Minders" and (dare I say?) "Darmok".
I'm taking this movie as I do every trek series and every movie before it. Some of them are great, but then there are also some not so great things.

In the end it comes down to one thing. The death and resurrection of Spock. If I can still enjoy watching where Spock dies knowing full well that he's back the next movie and the death is technically meaningless, then why should I care if the trek universe changes and allows for more trek. That won't tarnish my view of the things that I saw before and only stimulate my imagination in wondering how it might happen again after the movie.

Rico

Well, the big question for me still is ---  Will they explain things in the movie or will we just be handed this "new take" and that's that?  In all the previous Trek, time travel, rebirth, altered timelines, etc. they tried to make it all work in some way.  I'm just wondering if they will try to do that in the new movie - or not.