• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Can Barack Obama be a Nerd?

Started by Vartok, November 16, 2008, 10:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vartok

Joel Stein writes a column in Time Magazine, which is a news source in the Vartok family unit.  In the November 10 issue Joel posits that Barack may just be a nerd.  He says "I am, however, deeply worried about the Urkel effect, which holds that voters leaning towards Obama will walk into the voting booth and suddenly think, I cannot take four years of listening to that giant-eared nerd.  Because people are realizing that Obama is not all that cool.  He's earnest like C-3PO, emotionless like Spock, over practical like Encyclopedia Brown, and incredibly skinny like C-3PO, Spock, and Encyclopedia Brown."

Joel continues "Obama seems cool at first because he uses slang, dresses well, and bumps fists.  But a lifetime of dangerous undercover work makes it easy for me to spot a fellow nerd.  Have you seen him try to dance?  Sure he played high school basketball, but how many cool kids play indoor sports in Hawaii?  He never gets angry or flirts with hot chicks by asking them to be his Vice President."

Of course some say Barack may not be a nerd, but only nerd-adjacent.  What do you think?

Vartok

Rico

I know he is a big "Star Trek" fan. It has come up a few times.

Dan M

Geekyfanboy

He has read all the Harry Potter novels to his daughters and now is working on the Twilight series.

Dan M

I'm doing that now.  It's tons of fun.  We read a half-hour every night before bedtime.  I get to do all the voices. I'm no Jim Dale, but they love it.  We're nearly done with Chamber of Secrets.

alanp

well he won't be using his blackberry anymore

Dan M

Yeah, I read that too, Alan.  I can't imagine not being able to e-mail.  I'd still take the job, but it'd be an adjustment.  :)