• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Which do you like better...

Started by Riskygodfather, November 20, 2005, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like the communicator from the Original series(like a cell phone) or the one from TNG(the one on the shirt).

TOS
11 (44%)
TNG
10 (40%)
Didn't Like Either
0 (0%)
Loved Both
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

the_wasd_man

Quote from: spock on November 23, 2005, 10:42:46 AM
Look in the ST Survival Guide. They have detailed info on gadgets

Hmmm... I'll be... you can even remodulate it into a jamming device. :P
But the little green men episode still haunts me...

spock

Its pretty cool what the book says u can do
Visit the Unofficial Treks n Sci-Fi RPG forum http://spocksmac.byethost11.com/forum

Darth Gaos

I liked them both.

I think what I liked more than anything about the OS were the sound effects.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Riskygodfather

Definitely. i wanna get a cell phone that looks like the TOS communicator, and can flip open like they do in TOS. ;D
"Do a barrel roll" - Peppy, StarFox 64
"Coincidence... I think NOT!" - Bear, Polkadot Shorts
"If at first you don't succeed... you fail" -Portal preview

Admiral Anthony Out

spock

I havent seen any of those ever made.
Visit the Unofficial Treks n Sci-Fi RPG forum http://spocksmac.byethost11.com/forum

Riskygodfather

Then I'll invent one and bring it to bell!!! lol

Admiral Anthony Out

spock

Sounds good. Boy u are a dreamer. ;)

Riskygodfather

Quote from: the_wasd_man on November 21, 2005, 06:38:43 PM
Really?

I remember in an episode od DS9... the one when Quark&gang ended up in the 40s... I think it was called little green men. I remember they were having problems with their UTs and had to go into each others ears or something...  :-\

Plus my TNG TM doesn't say anything about it beeing integrated...
Ya, I am watching this episode right now, and I am wondering the same thing about the UT. I'm thinking that only the Ferengis have it in their ear. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Admiral Anthony Out

Picard_delta_5

i think it would have been cooler if they used headpieces on away missions... i liked both... i voted TOS though...
Star Trek Will Rise Again

Jen

At one time the TNG com badge did not incorporate this feature. I guess that change occurred well after the Star Trek The Next Generation Technical Manual was printed...its copyright 1991, so I'm sure its out of date. It says nothing about it being a UT as well as a personal communicator. They even incorporated a diagram to illustrate its features and functions. That detail was added later I guess.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Picard_delta_5

hmmm.... so i guess everybody just spoke english for a while during early TNG then... lol

besides, u cant blow up mountains with the tng comm badges (Friday's Child)...

actually, u probably could, they just chose not to in TNG cause they realized how hokey it was

Poodyglitz

On one level, the badge made sense. On another level, it was ridiculous. It was simply on/off. There were no other controls on it. What if you needed to set up a feedback loop to distract an enemy or cannibalize parts to form a weapon or better communicator? The TOS communicator made sense because the the hinged cover was also the antenna. It also made a great sound. It was better because at least you could have a private conversation with it. I'm sure it had a silent ring mode as well as voice mail. :-)

Picard_delta_5

thats not completely true... i can think of a few instances where they canibalized the TNG / Voy communicators for various reasons... (usually for the "power cell")

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Picard_delta_5 on April 20, 2007, 08:52:53 AM
thats not completely true... i can think of a few instances where they canibalized the TNG / Voy communicators for various reasons... (usually for the "power cell")

Power cell? O.K. Repurposing? I'm not so sure. Those things seemed so micro miniaturized that you'd need to tell nanites what you wanted done and have them do it. I guess the badges just seem a little odd to me.

Picard_delta_5

ok, the episode thats coming to mind is ___ (i cant remember the name... its the Voyager with the Slip Drive Ship... They thought it was federation but it turns out to be the alien ploy...)

Janeway and Seven are locked in the brig which is sealed off by a forcefield. Janeway uses the powercell from her communicator and attaches to to one of sevens implants. the powercell activates some borg technology that allows seven to pass through the forcefield. Janeway didn't need any tools or anything to activate it either. She pretty much just plugged it in... quick and painless