• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Sept. 11th...

Started by Bryancd, September 11, 2008, 10:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

I just thought it would be appropriate to acknowledge today as a day of national mourning and a reminder of that day.

I was working at 1251 Ave. of the America's in mid-town Manhatten that morning and was a witness to terrible history. I know I will never forget.

Geekyfanboy

Yes we must always remember this day and all those we lost.

I was working in Los Angeles in a high rise building and remember being evacuated because we thought Los Angeles was next...

sheldor

My parents told me a number of years ago, everyone remembers what they were doing, where they were when Kennedy as assassinated.  To this day, they still remember.  I never would have thought to have an experience like this until 9/11/2001.

I was in a training class in Troy, MI.  I was in the lunchroom at 9:10 and thinking "war was declared" and as far as I was concerned (and still am) - there's no place these turkeys can hide. 

"... want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station --- residence -- warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse"

KingIsaacLinksr

I remember I was in Junior High and I had just walked into the Library and saw it on TV.  The whole two towers crumbling.  It went on all day, the news, the TV reports. 

What saddens me is how united we were, and how divided we've become.  *Sigh*

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

I was actually off that day.  I was at home doing some chores and saw the news online first and then turned on the TV.  Of course at first, it just seemed to be a terrible accident.  It was hard to imagine at first any group wanting to do something such as this to innocent people - people who had done them no harm.

One thing I did learn though and something I also get from Trek is we really have to learn to set aside our differences and learn to live together in peace.  My heart goes out to everyone that was affected by this terrible tragedy.

moyer777

My radio alarm clock went off and I heard the announcer say to pray for America.  I turned on our fuzzy tv (didn't have satelite then) and watched the second plane slam into the tower.  It was horrible.  I'll never forget the feeling in my stomach as I thought about all the innocent lives that were lost. 

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

I was watching the news, in my living room, as I was getting ready for work. Dave had already left. My little brother was living with us at the time, and worked with me.  He usually got up a little later, but I woke him after the Pentagon was hit. I remember saying,  "Billy, wake up, our country is under attack."

We were glued to the TV, speculating with the news anchors.  It just kept getting worse and worse—first one tower was hit, then the other then the Pentagon then the plane that crashed in the field, then the first tower fell and finally the second... it was a nightmare that seemed to never end.  I can remember screaming with Billy when the towers fell one by one...then sobbing for all those people.

We went to work, despite my brother's protests. He said it wasn't right.  I said "this is what they want. They want us to stop everything we're doing. We're going." Aside from that, it was just good to be around other people and talk. I remember my brother and I going into our office and watching TV with all the tenants in the building... that evening we went to church and had a candle light service in the parking lot so neighbors, who weren't necessarily members, would feel they could come too. There were many people who stood outside on their porches with candles and watched from a distance.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

I can remember the phone call from my Sale's Assitant who was stuck on a bus a few blocks south of WTC coming in from Staten Island. She's was stuck and I told her to just go home. She was gone by the time the second plane hit.

I can remember standing out on 5th Ave. looking south as the first tower burned.

I can remember watching CNBC as the second plane hit live and how startled I was by the image.

I can remember the speaking with a colleague who worked at my old office in World Financial Center, across the street from WTC. They had evacuated the area and were walking north. They saw the jumpers.

I can remember the first tower collapse and the panic in my building, no one knew what to do or where to go.

I can remember finally leaving my office and walking out to the street and the silence. A huge mass of people were walking up 5th Ave, heading away from the smoke.

I can remeber the standing room only train ride back to my home in CT and no one saying a word.

Geekyfanboy

Man Bryan..reading what your wrote gives me chills.

sheldor

I think I mentioned already - I was vacationing in London during the attacks in 2005.  Since the "tube" was attacked, they shutdown the entire system.  The city was at a standstill - all public transportation was halted.  For those who were already at work, most of them ended up walking home.   The attacks happened on Thu and I believe it was the first time the changing of the guards was cancelled.  It was towards the end of my vacation and thought about leaving 1 day early but I made some calls back home and ended staying.  It was truly eerie.

sheldor

Quote from: Kinglinksr on September 11, 2008, 11:17:10 AM
I remember I was in Junior High and I had just walked into the Library and saw it on TV.  The whole two towers crumbling.  It went on all day, the news, the TV reports. 

King

I agree King.  Nothing solidifies a country then being at war.  For a few weeks, I thought it would wake people up, put aside their partisan bickering and become what the founding fathers desired from the beginning - a United States of America.

We will NEVER forget...

Jen

Quote from: markinro on September 11, 2008, 12:03:00 PM
Quote from: Kinglinksr on September 11, 2008, 11:17:10 AM

King

I agree King.  Nothing solidifies a country then being at war.  For a few weeks, I thought it would wake people up, put aside their partisan bickering and become what the founding fathers desired from the beginning - a United States of America.

We will NEVER forget...

They did... the politicians actually locked arms and sang together. That lasted all of what? Three seconds? I wish we could be like that again, without the war.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

I remember being at work, It was afternoon here and at first when they announced a plane had hit the tower we thought it was an accident and we kind of joked that the pilot must have been drunk, but then when the second hit and reality hit home i've never seen my work place go so cold. We all stood there listening to the radio, no one worked, we all just felt sick. I can remember thinking about my friend who was about to fly out to south America.
When i got home and put on the TV and saw the footage i remember being just shocked but then i saw something that has never left me. I remember seeing someone waving from the window, she had a white sheet or something. I have no idea who she was, but then i saw someone jump. Even now writing this the thought makes me cry. I'm not a man who cries at all but i have to be honest even the thought of those images reduces me to tears. How anyone could cause such horror is beyond me.
As Markinro said above it was only a few years later London was attacked. And that sticks with me as well, we'd been subjected to bombings by the IRA and the peace talks had been completed and then suddenly it happens again.

For all those who lost their lives, for those families and friends and for my friends here on this forum my heart will always be with you.

ElfManDan

I remember I was just getting up for another day of 6th grade, I went into the kitchen for breakfast and my mom told me what had happened, spent the most of the day watching the news article on TV, my mom thought I should stay home to see what was going on.

I remember all planes were grounded for the next few days, my dad, a pilot himself, got stuck where he was at cause he could fly home again for several days. I didn't see him for about a week. I missed him terribly over that time.

Jobydrone

I was on my way into work, listening to the Howard Stern show on the radio.  They were talking about Pam Anderson sitting on Howard's lap.  Someone came into the studio and announced that the top of the World Trade Center building was on fire, they could see the smoke pouring out from their office building.  As the news came in I sat in my car and it became clear rather quickly that we were under attack.  At the time I worked in a tall office building in center city Philadelphia, so it was certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that the next attack could have been headed in our direction.  Work that day was quickly cancelled and everyone was told to go home to be with their families.  The exodus as the entire city was evacuating was terrifying.  The streets were completely gridlocked.  No traffic was moving anywhere.  Cell phones were not providing service for almost an hour becuase the circuits were busy or down, so there was no way to contact family members or loved ones to ensure their safety.  It took me three hours to get twelve blocks to my girlfriends apartment.  We sat together and watched as the story developed and I clearly remember thinking " so this is how our world ends."  It was a horrifying experience.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx