• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

U.S. Politics

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 29, 2008, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Honestly I think everyone has made their viewpoints known and we probably should let this thread fade away.

alanp

Quote from: billybob476 on October 07, 2008, 01:24:27 PM
Honestly I think everyone has made their viewpoints known and we probably should let this thread fade away.

Sounds good to me.  Reading some of the responces had me scratching my head and I felt like you guys got stuff out of what I had posted that I didn't intend to convay.  And I missed you guys but before I started posting again I felt I should set the record straight about what I was really trying to say.

billybob476

No worries. We're all friends here.

Darth Gaos

After I say this billybob...because until today I have avoided this discussion because...well politics is one of those things....so just let me add my 2 cents

While I agree with the point that the author of the article is getting at....namely the entire last paragraph of the article.  I must say that the rest is editorial conjecture. Statements like "What Biden was saying..." and "While Palins statements came across as noble, it's obvious that..." are, to me, completely speculative.   What Biden said is what Biden said.  What Palin said is what Palin said.  It strikes me as presumptuous to say that is obvious what any candidate would do should they be elected President.  Things change when someone sits behind the desk in the Oval Office.  President Clinton was bit too moderate for liberals on a lot of issues much like President Bush has drawn the ire of conservatives on a number of issues.

Much of this article comes across as the same tired tactic used by both sides with any sort of agenda... to either A) completely justify their position or B) point out some sort of real or imagined duplicity of the opposing view....or both.

I am not even really arguing the issue here either.  I was just pointing out what was said in the debate.  I am just tired of crap flingin from both sides and cannot wait until November 5th, when hopefully (lawyers notwithstanding, this will be over)

And though nobody asked for my opinion on the issue, I feel comfortable enough here in giving it.  I find it ludicrous in this nation that, regardless of anyone personal or religious beliefs, that two people who are in love and want to get married, form a union or whatever, would not be able to do so and not be extended the rights and benefits accorded to anyone else.   I also find it sickening that an amendment to the constitution was even brought up in relation to this issue. Regardless of MY own personal beliefs about ANY issue in the United States, I would NEVER...EVER support an amendment to the Constitution of the United States that would, in essence, make it constitutional to discriminate against a person or group of people.

OK sorry, off my own little soapbox. Now we can let it die if you wish although there is nothing wrong with discussing anything in a civil manner which I believe we did here in this thread.  It is, however, one of the things noticeably absent in our elected officials apparently.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Geekyfanboy

You guys can continue to discuss this topic.. things are always civil here and I believe that everyone has a right to believe and say what ever they want to...but I consider you all friends on this forum and it's hard to read some of the negative and intolerant things said towards gay marriage and homosexuality. It's hard for me to think that many of you feel I don't have the right to marriage under the law, same as heterosexual couples. It's just as hard for me to read that some of you feel that homosexuality is a sin and look negatively on my lifestyle that I was born into. That is why I have decided that I will no longer participate in this thread as I value my friendship with you all and don't want to feel negatively towards anyone.

celestialteapot

It's quite interesting as someone who is very much outside and doesn't know anything about US politics to follow this discussion. It seems strange to me that you have state laws that can be very different from each other, we have 'states' here too in the UK - except we call them counties and they do have all have a council but they only deal with local law & order and other local issues, the recycling rules might be different county to county but the law doesn't change from place to place.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Meds

wraith1701

A friend sent me this link to an article about Palin's use of language when speaking to the press and to voters. 

http://dashes.com/anil/2008/10/what-sarah-palin-is-saying.html

It seems to me that the effects of what she is saying are plain to see.  What I wonder is if she is deliberately misleading her audience, and intentionally playing on their fears?  Or are her word choices and associations simply innocent slips of the tongue?

Ktrek

Well, this is it folks! Down to the wire. In about 6 hours we should all know who is the next President. Too bad neither of the two candidates were good choices in my opinion but one of them will be a winner anyway.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

wraith1701

I've been flipping back and forth between browser tabs, checking election results.  Watching the popular vote results, and reading all of the comments being posted has me swinging back and forth between hope and despair.  Not so much at the actual results, but at some of the trashy comments being left on a lot of sites out there.  :(

Geekyfanboy

that's why I don't look.. I'll either be very happy tonight or majorly disappointed.

the waiting part is what is killing me.

Bryancd

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on November 04, 2008, 03:54:02 PM
that's why I don't look.. I'll either be very happy tonight or majorly disappointed.

...I think you are going to be very happy, my precious! I voted against the local prop 202 trying to define marriage as between a man and woman and I was thinking of you and Harry and my other gay  couple friends. :)

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bryancd on November 04, 2008, 04:03:03 PM

...I think you are going to be very happy, my precious! I voted against the local prop 202 trying to define marriage as between a man and woman and I was thinking of you and Harry and my other gay  couple friends. :)

Thanks Bryan... we need all the help we can get.

Bryancd

I voted Libertarian across the board, they seem to be the only party that has actually READ the Constitution.

Darth Gaos

Quote from: Bryancd on November 04, 2008, 04:36:32 PM
I voted Libertarian across the board, they seem to be the only party that has actually READ the Constitution.

LOL...you  do make a point Bryan, no doubt.

I must say with CA and WA getting ready to close, I think it is abundantly clear who will be the next President.  While I did not vote for him, I do sincerely congratulate Senator (soon to be President-Elect) Obama.  Election day always reinforces my view of that, for all our faults, we are still the greatest country in the world (no offense to my colleagues and friends on this board from elsewhere) and I say that without malice or "typical American arrogance".  We are still a young country comparatively speaking, still experiencing growing pains.  Look no further than this particular election.  In this country 50 years ago, Barack Obama would not have been allowed to eat at the same table, drink from the same water fountain or use the same restroom that many of us could.  Tonight the people of the United States elected an African American to the Presidency.   We are a country with problems, of that there is no doubt but we do endeavor to do our best to solve them.  Sometimes it is not as fast or as well as we would like but we do seem to persevere.  We cannot give up hope or lose faith in the "heart" of the American people which is intrinsically good and fair when all is said and done.  I know one of these issues seems to have dominated this thread for a long time and to those affected by it I would simply say this:  Patience, we will solve the problem, we just need the right people in the right places to sit down and talk to each other and good things will happen.  To use the old cliche....Rome wasn't built in a day......but it was built.

Congrats President-Elect Obama.  It's going to be an exciting and interesting 4 years
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?