• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

U.S. Politics

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 29, 2008, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

I will be voting for McCain, my wife was on the fence but she likes the Palin pick and is now leaning McCain. I believe the fiscal disaster we find ourselves in is a result of Bush's prosecution of the war at all cost, which may or may not have been a mistake. The thing is, we will never know. Did his spending and absurd "Patriot Act" actually save us from furhter attacks? We will never know. Given a Republican willing to exercise fiscal discipline, that is more representative of my position. I don't like the Federal Govt. very much.

davekill

Quote from: Metron07 on August 30, 2008, 04:01:18 PM
I will cast my vote here and now. I will quote the late Ronald Regan "Are you better off now than you where four years ago?"

Good Question - Yes.
Not because of the government, you and I are just a source of revenue to them.

I'm better off now than four years ago because I work hard at my job (7 years) and it pays off.

I guess the best thing I can expect from our government is that they lower my taxes.
The worse would be if they raise them - or worse yet, not provide highway repair, police protection, national defense or the Post Office. (On second thought, I could prolly live without the postal service)

What do you expect from the government?
I've heard campaign promises of change for the better lately, What kind of change do you need?

Geekyfanboy

I have a different view on things.. you choose your presidents bases on revenue, financial gains, and taxes among other things.. I have to look at it as my way of living. I'm a gay man living in a country where 21 of the States have laws banning me for getting married to the person I love. And currently only two state allow it.
Over 75% of the country treat me as a second class citizen just because I don't love like they do.

I will always vote Democrat, I may agree with many of the Republicans views (fiscally) but the majority of the Republican Presidential nominees will take away my rights to live the way I was born to live.

Trekkygeek

When I saw Sarah Palin, I was struck by how much she reminded me of Roslin in BSG. Anyone else see that?
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Blackride

When Obama says that people should be "rescued" from buying those cars and houses that they can't afford it makes me nuts.

Americans need to accept more responsibility. JFK once said "Ask Not what your country can do for you". The main reason we are where we are in the economic state is due to Americans buying everything on credit and not being able to pay their bills. The housing problem is due to people buying a house that they should not have bought in the first place. People need to step up and take responsibility for their actions and not blame the govt when they don't come and rescue them. So now that I planned accordingly , and don't buy things on credit and live in a house that we can afford, I have to pay for all those people that just thinks that the govt should figure out ways to fix their mistakes?

This is why I have never voted democrat and never will.

My dad once told me to wake up every morning and look in the mirror and say, " I am NOT a victim".

Just my hard line thoughts.....
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Blackride

I forgot to say in my last post that I do not agree with every decision Bush or his father has made. To me it's impossible to agree with a party on everything. In fact I think Bush has done things that the democrats would have done like rebate checks and increased federal spending which I dont agree with either...
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

davekill

Quote from: Metron07 on August 30, 2008, 10:42:10 PM
DaveKill, I very happy to hear you are doing better and that your hard worked paid off.

Metron07 - I'm sorry to hear your feeling the bite and I hope better opportunities come your way soon. I know how unfair life can be sometimes, I've had my share of bad luck too.
One thing you have going is a strong background in computers. On-site system administrators, programmers, content developers will always be needed. Sometimes you have to relocate - but that is just part of the job. Your experience and hard work can pay off in unexpected ways. I know that doesn't help you right now - but it's something you can't learn in school and no one can take it away from you.
as far as the gay community, I feel that "folks are folks". We should all be recognized and respectfull of each other. I can't say I've had many gay friends except my two lesbian roomates that I shared a house with in Tahoe one year.
We had a ball working at the resorts and riding motorcycles around the lake because we respected each other.

I try to live within my means and keep my bills paid.
Yes I work hard because I know what it's like not to have work.

I believe we pay enough government taxes and our leaders should be more responsible.
Example:
My state Governor Schwarzenegger threatened to cut our state employee's salaries to minimum wage due to another Budjet impass. typical political thinking - he should have cut the legislatures salaries to minimum wage and denied any summer recess till they play nice and agree on a budjet.

At least we can post these little rants and stay civil. I appreciate the chance to hear everyones opinion :)

Dave

Geekyfanboy

I love Jib Jab.. that was great.

Bryancd

Jib Jab is awesome. That was super. I l though McCain did a good job last night. I thought Palin's speech was great. She is a real firecracker!

KingIsaacLinksr

To be honest, it seems like McCain shot himself in the foot for winning the election easily.  From what I've been hearing, ppl are very much against Palin being the VP.  They would have much rather of had the other choices for VP. But then he went and picked this VP and to some, it was political suicide.  He was trying to cash in on Hillary voters but they won't vote for him (at least the extremists) just because he has a woman running mate.  They only want Hillary.  "Its Hillary or Bust!".  And now he's annoyed some conservatives because they don't want her and her pregnant unmarried daughter.  (Not conservative at all....)

Or so I hear.....

Oh and Jib Jab is awesome. 
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

Had he picked Romney or another more conservative Republican, the race would have been lost. Obama has too much momentum. I think Biden was a terible choice for him. Palin has a lot of people excited, some people annoyed, but no one is ignoring her. The question is can she win them all over in time? I think she just might.

My wife was leaning towards Obama but now is changing her vote because she really likes Palin.

sheldor

What surprises me is how right down the middle this country is divided.  I like a close race but I don't want a repeat of the chaos from 2000 again.  Also think we should have a national standard voting system.   I remember when I would go vote with my dad and get to pull the lever.  Come on !!  Those things were the COOLEST !!

Yeoman Mara

I don't actually think it will be that close.  And I don't think Palin was a good choice.  I just can't agree with McCain and his views on certain woman's issues and other items.  I'll definitely be voting OBama.
A redhead with a lightsaber is a dangerous combination!

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Yeoman Mara on September 06, 2008, 07:17:32 AM
I don't actually think it will be that close.  And I don't think Palin was a good choice.  I just can't agree with McCain and his views on certain woman's issues and other items.  I'll definitely be voting OBama.

Whoo hoo another ally.. Thanks Mara. :)

I felt like the lone Obama supporter on this forum.