• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Doctor Who, Series 5 and Specials.

Started by Meds, July 18, 2008, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meds

Ok so Christmas is not far away and what am i looking forward to. Well apart from a large man in a red suit falling painfully down my chimney its going to be the Doctor Who Christmas special. So far the Christmas specials have been a bit rubbish but the new one with the Cybermen is looking promising.

We know we are getting three specials, probably around 60 mins to 90 mins each and then the rumor going around the Tardis is that Tennant will then step down (boo i say). Well according to British tabloid newspaper 'The Sun' they have just reported the following.

BEEB bosses are more hopeful than ever that David Tennant WILL stay on as Doctor Who — after wooing him with a £1.5million deal.

They had feared the Scot, 37, was sure to quit after filming four more specials of the BBC1 sci-fi hit.

But last night a source said he could stay as the Timelord for the fifth series to be screened in 2010.

As TV Biz revealed, show boss Russell T Davies quit and has been replaced by top writer Steven Moffatt.

The source said: "It will be a new team and David has to meet everyone to make a final decision.

"But we're gearing up to offer him a massive deal. He's interested. Everyone thought he was going, but it's not as open and shut as that."

Filming would not start until autumn 2009, but bosses are believed to want a deal by this autumn.

The actor is making four specials this year instead of a series as he is also playing Hamlet at the Royal Shakespeare Company.

The Christmas episode is now finished.

David's real-life love Georgia Moffett, 23, returns as his daughter Jenny for one of the Who specials.

For me this is great news. One i pay the license fee here in England and i really don't mind my payments going towards Tennants reported pay rise. His acting has got better and better and with his stint in Stratford doing Shakespeare going extremely well i think he has no worries about being Typecast, lets face it he was great in Harry Potter. Keep your eyes on this thread for more Who news.

X

I thought he was with the girl from Moon Light!

Meds

No they split up last year due to not having enough time together.

Meds

That was the trailer we had at the end of te last series. Thanks for posting that. Who were on the panel?

Meds

Special mini episode from Dr Who at the Proms 27th July 2008.

Music of the Spheres.
This is a special 7 minute mini episode wrote bu Russel T Davies and played during the interval of Doctor Who at the Proms held at The Royal Albert Hall. The bits when the Dr i shouting hello all the crowd at the venuw were shouting back. Great. Hopefully you'll be able to see this episode below i've taken it from YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwI-V4AdGYc

Meds

This is in todays newspaper.

DOCTOR Who is to face a new evil menace — a mutant Cyberman.

Bosses of the hit BBC1 sci-fi drama plan to unleash the scary mutant in this year's Christmas special.

Cybershade is described as "Cyberman gone bad".

An insider said: "Like we did with the Daleks, we've taken the original robot and made it a bit more sinister.

"The Cybershade is a mutant with some of the looks of the Cybermen — but it is a much darker creation.

"Fans always want something new.

"Just wheeling out Cybermen again would be tame."

New show chief Stephen Moffat has promised a host of new baddies for four Who specials.

He stressed: "We're not in the business of being nostalgic — we're making nostalgia for the future."

spidey27

Sorry Rose, the Doctor says you're too needy

NEW Doctor Who chief Steven Moffatt says Billie Piper will NOT return to the hit show — because her character Rose is "too needy".
Rose was last seen heading off into the sunset with a clone of the timelord at the end of the fourth series.
TV beauty Billie, 25, is 6½ months pregnant and does not plan to act next year. But Steven — who is taking over from Russell T Davies as writer and executive producer of the show — ruled out a Rose comeback.
He admitted he admired the Doc ditching Rose, saying: "You have to hand it to the Doctor for dumping a slightly needy girlfriend by palming her off on a copy of himself.
"He tried leaving her in a parallel universe and that didn't work!"
Steven was speaking at the Comic Con event in Los Angeles. He also revealed he turned down working with legendary director Steven Spielberg on the film version of Tintin to take on Doctor Who.
He said: "You treat Doctor Who like a sad little fanboy who's just been given an enormous toy to play with."
Steven denied that worried parents would force him to rein in the Doctor Who creepiness in series five of the drama. He joked: "I would say to parents — tough!"
Bosses are still trying to tempt star David Tennant, 37, to make a full return in the new series with a £1.5million offer.
:dalek

Meds

This is why Steven is going to be amazing. He's a darker writer and that is a good thing.

spidey27

Latest Rumours: :dalek

:spidey

DATES
• The first special is to be televised in April 2009. Running time is an hour.

• The second special will be broadcast on Christmas Day and, again, will be an hour.

• The other two specials will be 45 minutes each and hit the small screen sometime between Boxing Day and January 1st 2010. To clarify - the fourth '2009 Special' may actually be broadcast in 2010.

CASTING
• CATHERINE TATE and BERNARD CRIBBINS are to return as Donna Noble and Wilf respectively.

• JOHN SIMM is to return reprising his role as THE MASTER.

• BRIAN BLESSED is star in one of the specials. It is not clear if he is reprising the role of Yrcanos.

• GEORGIA MOFFETT is returning as The Doctor's daughter, Jenny.

• THE SEA DEVILS are making a return. They were last seen in the 1984 story WARRIORS OF THE DEEP.

• PAUL MCGANN has been said to return as The Eight Doctor by some sources though others (all trusted) say this is not the case but they haven't ruled it out either.

And lastly, another CHILDREN IN NEED special? Could be. Set to appear are: PETER DAVISON, SYLVESTER MCCOY and COLIN BAKER. This has not been sourced as thoroughly as the above bits of info so don't get too excited about it.

Meds

I'd be happy for a multi doctor episode but i think it is a BAD BAD idea for Donna to come back. What would be the point in that.

M-5

Brian Blessed.  That would be a treat.  I too wouldn't mind seeing a multi-Doctor episode.

Meds

Brian Blessed. "THE DOCTORS ALIVEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Meds

Classic Who to come to ITunes USA

Just a couple of weeks following the release of complete seasons of new series Doctor Who on iTunes in the USA, a selection of classic Doctor Who adventures are now available on the download service as well.

While most of the titles released so far have already been made available on DVD, such as "Carnival of Monsters", "Mark of the Rani" and "The Ark in Space", a number of stories have been released that are avaiable nowhere else (with the VHS releases now long out-of-print), like "The Krotons", "The Sun Makers" and "Planet of the Spiders".

The stories are avaiable episodically, and cost $1.99 per episode.

You lucky people.  :jawdrop

Scott

- Scott Hough

The Vintage Gamers