• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Doctor Who, Series 5 and Specials.

Started by Meds, July 18, 2008, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

It's certainly out in the UK - I can find it on Amazon.co.uk and play.com link here

I don't know if there was ever a US release.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

spidey27

The BBC has denied that PAUL MCGANN is returning to the show as The Eighth Doctor, a spokesperson said: "There is no truth to the story at all." Meanwhile, inside sources say that he is definitely involved in one of the specials. :spidey

Meds

The BBC devilish cretins of the highest order.

Meds

Quote from: Rico on September 12, 2008, 06:19:51 AM
Meds - is Mcgann's one shot film as the Doctor out on DVD? 
Yeah it was his only film go at playing the doctor, you can buy it here on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Movie-Region-2/dp/B00005KB4D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221301830&sr=1-1

but he has done lots and lots of audio dramas for dr who for big finish. I think you can get them on itunes and via amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-8758041-9880434?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Doctor+Who+audio&x=0&y=0

I seriously recommend you check out his audio dramas he has come on leaps and bounds since the film, which if i am honest is bloody awfull, though if you do want to see it and dont want to shed out $28 for it i'll send you a copy (ahem) over.

M-5

I've seen Paul McGann protrayal of The Doctor.   He wasn't that bad.  I just couldn't take Eric Roberts as The Master. :ohmy

Geekyfanboy

Doctor Who and JK Rowling...

The (Almost) Case of Doctor Who and JKR
J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Sue
September 16, 2008, 07:01 PM

Great leaping Tardis! New reports are online tonight regarding how Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling had been favored to be a guest on the popular UK program Doctor Who for the Christmas 2007 show. The BBC is reporting that Doctor Who writer Russell T Davies had wanted Jo to star in the episode, however the star of the program, actor David Tennant (Barty Crouch Jr.) nixed the idea. "David doesn't like the JK idea, he thinks it sounds like a spoof, so we've paused slightly, wondering whether to win him round or just abandon something that he's not going to be happy with," Davies said.

Excerpts from new book by the chief writer are detailed in the Times newspaper and we can read more of the plan for the purposed J.K. Rowling guest shot as follows in an email exchange:

To: Benjamin Cook

Sunday July 29, 2007 20:21:48 GMT

I had an idea on holiday. Such a mad idea that I phoned Julie, to start setting it in motion. I was in the shower on Saturday morning (you may avert your eyes), thinking about how much I'd enjoyed that last Harry Potter book, how I'd love to write something like that, remembering that, back in 2004, I asked J.K.Rowling to write an episode of Doctor Who, though she politely declined, and reflecting that we can't possibly get someone to star in next year's Christmas Special who's as famous as Kylie...when all those things coalesced. BAM! I thought, don't ask J.K. to write a Doctor Who, ask her to be in a Doctor Who! We've done Dickens, Shakespeare, Agatha Christie...why should kids think that all great authors are dead? Imagine it. A cold Edinburgh Christmas Eve. J.K.Rowling walking through the snow, pursued by a journalist. "What are you going to write after Harry Potter?"

The diffcult second album...Later, J.K. sits down to write. At the same time, a Space Bug (maybe the same as Donna's time-psych creature in 4.11), probably put there by the Rita Skeeter-type journalist, leaps onto her back. ZAP!

J.K.'s imagination becomes real! A world of Victorian magic replaces the present-day world. The Doctor arrives and has to battle through a world of witches and wizards, with wands and spells and CGI wonders, to reach J.K. Rowling at the heart of it all... That's either brilliant or more like a Blue Peter crossover.

But worth trying. It's different, certainly. So, Julie is trying to set up a meeting with J.K. ...Imagine those opening titles: DAVID TENNANT flying at you, then J.K.ROWLING!...Imagine the Doctor in a world of magic made real – that would be glorious. So, there we go. That's under way.

To: Benjamin Cook

Tuesday August 21, 2007 23:04:21 GMT

Christmas 2008 is steaming up on the horizon! I should be writing that in January. That's like tomorrow! That could be J.K. Rowling, or Cybermen in Victorian London [This was Davies's first idea]. David doesn't like the J.K. idea, he thinks it sounds like a spoof, so we've paused slightly, wondering whether to win him round or just abandon something that he's not going to be happy with. We've got to keep him happy. He keeps us happy. (You should see the rushes of him and Catherine [Tate] chasing Agatha Christie in vintage cars – it's a hoot!) Plus, he might be right. So that idea has parked itself, while Julie tries to find ways to approach J.K. anyway. And I doubt we'd ever get J.K. – she doesn't need to do it – so Cybermen in the snow are hauling themselves back into my head.

Meds

New Doctor could be.............

DAVID TENNANT may not have quit as Doctor Who quite yet but executive producer Russell T Davies already has ideas about who should take over as the Time Lord.

The Swansea-born writer, responsible for bringing back the BBC Wales-produced series, wants Russell Tovey to take over from the Scottish actor, who has won a series of awards for the role.

In e-mails serialized in The Times newspaper, Davies said Tovey, who appeared in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys, would make a great Doctor.Davies, who leaves the show next year as lead writer and executive producer, said he thought Tovey was "going to be huge" and is "amazing". Tovey, 26, had a part in last year's Christmas Doctor Who special as the heroic Midshipman Frame aboard the ill-fated Starship Titanic. They also reveal that Hollywood actor Dennis Hopper was keen to appear in Doctor Who, but was not "available for that many days" to film. The Times newspaper, Davies said Tovey, who appeared in Alan Bennett's play The History Boys, would make a great Doctor.

Davies, who leaves the show next year as lead writer and executive producer, said he thought Tovey was "going to be huge" and is "amazing".

Tovey, 26, had a part in last year's Christmas Doctor Who special as the heroic Midshipman Frame aboard the ill-fated Starship Titanic. The special episode co-starred Kylie Minogue.

Meds

I'm not too sure about this if I am honest. I'm kind of hoping for an older Doctor.

Feathers

I'd go with you on that. 'Too young' is my first thought.

Having watched Merlin on Saturday, Richard Wilson in a long wig would make an interesting 'grouchy Doctor'....OK, perhaps not - I can just see the pre-christmas episode:

"What!"
"What!"
"What!"
"I don't believe it!"

...maybe not.

Meds

The BBC have just announced the title for the 2008Christmas episode.

The Next Doctor.

Ooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feathers

A litle misdirection in the title I suspect...

Meds

Oh yeah, a bit like The Doctors daughter, that was a sneaky title.

ElfManDan

Maybe the Next Doctor is referring to the fact that the Doctor did regenerate in the last episode of season 5, just didn't change. Maybe there's some sort of side effect that Tennant's Doctor has to go through.

Meds

SPOILER SPOILER

DO NOT PLAY THIS PHOTO COMPILATION CLIP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW SOME THINGS ABOUT THE CHRISTMAS EPISODE.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5968RfXNQEI

Meds

Announced yeaterday to pass the time while we wait for new Doctor Who.

A multi-platform Doctor Who book project called The Darksmith Legacy will be launching next year.

The 10-part collectable series will see the first two books out in January, followed by a new "episode" every month after that.

Published by BBC Children's Books in association with Penguin Books, it will offer the adventure of a book serialisation, complete with cliffhangers, plus interactivity and content only obtainable online.

Book One is entitled The Dust of Ages and is by Justin Richards. Book Two is called The Graves of Mordane, by Colin Brake, while Book Three is The Colour of Darkness, which has been penned by Richard Dungworth. No more titles are known as yet.

People will be able to receive an exclusive preview of The Dust of Ages by visiting www.thedarksmithlegacy.com

More information, from the press release, is given below.
Join the Quest to save the Doctor and the Eternity Crystal from his latest adversaries: The Darksmith Collective.

In addition to the books, readers can assist the Doctor in his Quest by visiting online destination www.thedarksmithlegacy.com

By registering on the site, visitors can create their own avatar and alien identity and begin collecting
eternity points, crucial to the Doctor's survival.

Collaboration with other fans online to earn extra points will release exclusive content and assist in the Quest to keep the precious Eternity Crystal safe from the dangerous Darksmith Collective.