• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Web Design

Started by Riskygodfather, March 19, 2006, 06:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picard_delta_5

oh, thats really cool, if it works.
Star Trek Will Rise Again

spock

I havent really fooled with it and Im not the person to ask. :/
Visit the Unofficial Treks n Sci-Fi RPG forum http://spocksmac.byethost11.com/forum

Picard_delta_5

then u shouldnt have responded to the post, lol

spock

Well some questions I can answer.
Visit the Unofficial Treks n Sci-Fi RPG forum http://spocksmac.byethost11.com/forum

Picard_delta_5

indeed, but not this time....

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Scott on March 24, 2006, 11:03:17 AM
You don't really need a book. http://www.w3schools.com is a good resource... I tought my self by actually looking at the html for websites then trying to emulate it... I wouldn't recommend that unless you like figuring things out for yourself. I may eventually try to get someone to help me make some flash tutorials on basic web design stuff for my site.

I agree. Another source is the Web Developer's Virtual Library (http://www.wdvl.com). However, I did also learn from a book called Designing Web Graphics by Lynda Weinman. You can find her books by clicking here. To really do justice to your web graphics, you're going to need Photoshop/ImageReady or Fireworks.

It's great to learn by coding by hand, but Dreamweaver lets you get things done quicker. The web itself is a great classroom. As you're learning, be sure to view the source code of websites that you go to. You won't be able to see stylesheets (unless the styles are embedded in the page), but you can see the other code.

Once you get used to doing it, website design and production can be pretty straightforward if you keep it simple. Get to know how to use tables and stylesheets.

Jen

Quote from: Darmok on April 04, 2007, 10:07:28 PM
Quote from: Scott on March 24, 2006, 11:03:17 AM
You don't really need a book. http://www.w3schools.com is a good resource... I tought my self by actually looking at the html for websites then trying to emulate it... I wouldn't recommend that unless you like figuring things out for yourself. I may eventually try to get someone to help me make some flash tutorials on basic web design stuff for my site.

I agree. Another source is the Web Developer's Virtual Library (http://www.wdvl.com). However, I did also learn from a book called Designing Web Graphics by Lynda Weinman. You can find her books by clicking here. To really do justice to your web graphics, you're going to need Photoshop/ImageReady or Fireworks.

It's great to learn by coding by hand, but Dreamweaver lets you get things done quicker. The web itself is a great classroom. As you're learning, be sure to view the source code of websites that you go to. You won't be able to see stylesheets (unless the styles are embedded in the page), but you can see the other code.

Once you get used to doing it, website design and production can be pretty straightforward if you keep it simple. Get to know how to use tables and stylesheets.

Hi guys. I worked as an art director at a web firm for 7 years...I agree that Photoshop, and Fireworks are best for creating web graphics. But I found that Photoshop was more stable, at least on a Mac.  Our programmers learned to code by hand but they used Dreamweaver to build sites, which according to them spanks the pants off Front Page. But from what I've been told, Dreamweaver has a larger learning curve. They also tell me that its good to know what you're doing as far as  HTML is concernedâ€"Dreamweaver is what they call a "Wizzywig Editor" and it likes to throw in some extra code . It helps to know what doesn't need to be there so you can remove it to make it more efficient.

Flash MX 2004  was the program I primarily used. You can learn a lot from the O'Reilly ActionScript Series called " ActionScript The Definitive Guide" by Colin Moock. In addition to learning the how to code, the book teaches you how to organize your your script, which was one of the most valuable things I learned from the book.

Check out thefwa.com and coolhomepages.com to learn how to think out of the box as far as web design is concerned. Coolhomepages.com is an award gallery which features the best static and animated web sites. I was lucky to have one of my sites recently included on this site. After years of submitting, one of my least favorite web pages was selected for a web award.  Go figure.  :D

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Dan M

As a Web programmer, I can just say that Front Page writes awful, awful, awful code.  Dreamweaver's code isn't perfect, but it appears that way in comparison.

At work, I generally code HTML in a text editor, but I do use Dreamweaver for a few sites I maintain for friends.  The site files/FTP interface is convenient.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Jen on April 30, 2007, 06:47:10 PMCoolhomepages.com is an award gallery which features the best static and animated web sites. I was lucky to have one of my sites recently included on this site. After years of submitting, one of my least favorite web pages was selected for a web award.  Go figure.  :D

Don't you know by now that they (especially clients) will choose the least interesting design? It's the cardinal rule. :-)

Which of your sites was chosen?

Jen

Quote from: Darmok on May 01, 2007, 05:59:31 AM
Quote from: Jen on April 30, 2007, 06:47:10 PMCoolhomepages.com is an award gallery which features the best static and animated web sites. I was lucky to have one of my sites recently included on this site. After years of submitting, one of my least favorite web pages was selected for a web award.  Go figure.  :D

Don't you know by now that they (especially clients) will choose the least interesting design? It's the cardinal rule. :-)

Which of your sites was chosen?
You're right! Or they add a little "somthing-something" to your design and make it total crap.  :smilie_bleh: On the homepage, they used a freakazoid font face I hate for the hours the restaurant is open. They added it after I designed the page.

Its a company owned by the corporation I work for. Its a restaurant called Shrimp Haus. The site still has some tweaky things the programmer has to go and fix like the placement of the award. She stuck it to the left of the text links at the bottom of the homepage. Why? Not sure...I asked her to move it. She said she's got it on her list to do.

shrimphaus.com
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Dan M

Quote from: Darmok on May 01, 2007, 05:59:31 AM

That's so true.  I always warn my developers or designers not to suggest anything they can't live with.  You can't count on the client to dismiss the bad design.  That's usually the one they like. :(