• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

New info on the "Star Wars" Live Action series

Started by Rico, March 12, 2008, 05:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This is some interesting news.  Check it out....

The good people over at Collider have an article with some tidbits regarding the future live action series. Click here: http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/7242/tcid/1   for the full post.(Beware of some adult language) I personally enjoyed how even though the author (Frosty) has fallen out of favor with Star Wars, he's still excited for both shows. I'm sure Lucasfilm is hoping for similar sentiments from others who may have grown up with Star Wars but who have drifted away as they have grown older. We here at TFN don't plan on growing up so that hasn't been an issue with us. But I digress, most of the info in the article we already knew. See below for an excerpt with the possible new info being highlighted:

"-The live action and animated shows will be considered official canon of the star wars universe.
-The live-action show is going to end up on whatever network pays the most. However, I've heard they're talking about the show being on HBO or even Showtime. Which jives with the slugline for the show...think Deadwood meets The Sopranos. Want a bit more? Could the live action show feature Gangsters? Could it follow the underworld of the Star Wars universe? Perhaps even a crime family? Have I said too much? Again, think Deadwood meets The Sopranos. -The seasons for the live action show might be as short as 12 episodes... again...think Sopranos.
-The show is definitely PG-13. I've heard it'll be dark. It's definitely not being made for kids.
-The Skywalker story is finished. From what I've been told, their story is done and they aren't on the live-action show at all. The show is new characters...with a few people you might know from the movies mixed in here and there.
-And for those that don't know....the animated show takes place between episodes two and three, while the live-action is between three and four. Obviously some storylines might take place outside of those times, but that's where the primary action takes place. Just like while the live action might follow a crime family, there will be episodes that focus on other things."

Interesting idea of following a crime family. Could we be seeing a bit of Black Sun? And how about the idea of "think Deadwood meets The Sopranos." How do you feel about Boba Fett dropping the F-bomb? Are we about to move past such classic Star Wars curses as "Blast!", "Sithspit!" and "Kriffing"? Is the last episode going to prematurely fade to black while the Cantina Theme plays on? Only time will tell. Remember all is considered rumorific until something official is announced...or until we see it on the small screen ourselves.

Thanks to Steve for the link!

Geekyfanboy

I hope these are just rumors.. I don't want to see a dirtier side of Star Wars. I don't mind "dark" but Deadwood and Sopranos is a bit to far.. at least in my opinion.

And since we are the topic of Star Wars live action. A former co-worker and I were talking and he said his friends is a writer for the new Star Wars series and that he was currently writing a script that involved Han Solo and Chewy... take it for it is... it's all rumor until we see it.

Meds

Rico

I find some of what is said in this report believable and possible.  Lucas took a lot of flack for some of the prequel stuff.  He might want to do something a little more geared for an older audience now.  But he has stated pretty clearly that none of the primary previous film characters will be in the series.  So I really doubt we will see a Han and Chewie episode.  But he has changed his mind before.

Meds

I like dark. For me (and this is a personnal point) i always thought star Wars should be dark. A New Hope, Empire and Sith all dark. Jedi was and lets be honest just a 80's movie a bit like Temple of Doom so i'm happy for a bit more dark.

Geekyfanboy

Lucas On "Star Wars" Live-Action Series

By Garth FranklinTuesday, March 18th 2008 9:50am

We know "Clone Wars" kicks off with the movie/pilot in August, but how's the live-action "Star Wars" television show progressing? George Lucas has spoken with Entertainment Weekly about just that this weekend.

Lucas confirms that he's just starting to work on the scripts for the project as "Clone Wars" has been, and still is, heavily occupying him - "We finished the first year of Clone Wars, [and] we're in the middle of working on the second year. I'm finishing the scripts for the third year. And now I'm working on the scripts for the first year of the live-action show."

Because he's financing it, he has the luxury of running the show how he wants - this includes penning and finishing up the scripts for a whole season worth of shows before they get to filming them. This allows him a lot of forward planning - "I've got it pegged out for 100 episodes, and I know exactly what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it and what the risks are."

Whilst it doesn't focus on any of the characters from the films - "Some of the characters from the features find their way in there, so it's not completely divorced. It's as if we just went down the street and told a different story." Certainly places from the movies will be seen, whilst the Emperor himself is mentioned.

What about an airdate? "The series probably won't go on until around 2010. It'll take this year just to get through all the scripts and then another year to get them all shot." He is committed to at least 100 one-hour episodes - "I'm going to 100 episodes no matter what" - and casting has not yet begun.

Finally he did confirm there'll be some freedom for the directors and actors - "I'm an executive producer now -- I don't do the day-to-day work. I check in once a week, maybe, and it'll be the same thing on the live-action show." Its been reported that the show is currently being shopped around to the networks with either HBO or Showtime currently being the hot favourites.

Blackride

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on March 12, 2008, 08:32:18 AM
I hope these are just rumors.. I don't want to see a dirtier side of Star Wars. I don't mind "dark" but Deadwood and Sopranos is a bit to far.. at least in my opinion.

I totally agree. There would be no reason for the change imo. It's not like there are reasons to "shake it up" at all....
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

jedijeff

I have to agree as well, I hope that it does not get to "Dirty". For me, I hope they dont start throwing in foul language into the dialog. If it is grittier then the films, I am fine with that, as I liked Revenge of the Sith and some of the darker tones, but I guess with anything, there is a fine line on that. I would have a tough time believing Lucas would allow this to get to extreme, since he was always the guy who wanted somne of the more childish features included in the original films.

Bryancd

No way Lucas makes anything more than a PG-13 vision of Star Wars, I think that article is innacurate in that description. Remember, this is the same man who re-edited the Cantina scene for no good reason just to make it more kid friendly.

Rico

Keep in mind in this period in Star Wars history things are pretty rough in the galaxy.  Vader and the Empire and taking over and anyone that stands in their way they are wiping out.  So I can see a pretty violent series - maybe.  I doubt there would be much language or sex in it.  But I kind of agree, most likely it will be PG-13 overall.

Darth Gaos

I really can't see the series being on HBO or Showtime either.  I know money talks but I think Lucas and Co., in addition to money would also want to reach the largest audience possible.  A pay cable network is not really the way to do that.  If he wants to make it gritty and PG-13, that's fine..there are networks that like shows like that.  There are shows already on cable channels like that that are far worse then anything Lucas would do....The Shield, Nip/Tuck etc.  I think it could be on cable without being on pay cable.....At least I hope so.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Meds

Dirty no Dark yes. I really see no need to put severe language in it (light swearing maybe) violence in inevitable. As Rico says its rough times during this era and people are wiped out for standing up for themselves. Either way i'm really looking forward to having more Star Wars, i just hope we don't have any ewoks.

moyer777

You know you are a red neck Jedi when the first thing out of your mouth is..

Ewoks taste like chicken.

Or

Your land speeder is up on blocks in the front yard.

Or

Luke, I'm your father, and your uncle!

:)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

wraith1701

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on March 23, 2008, 04:44:47 AM
Dirty no Dark yes. I really see no need to put severe language in it (light swearing maybe) violence in inevitable. As Rico says its rough times during this era and people are wiped out for standing up for themselves. Either way i'm really looking forward to having more Star Wars, i just hope we don't have any ewoks.

Or Gungans.