• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Startrek.com is no more!!!!!!

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 15, 2007, 01:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

When I first read this I thought it was a horrible joke.. but sadly it's not.. StarTrek.com is no more. You can read more here...

StarTrek.com Eliminated by CBS/Paramount

We were shocked to learn that CBS/Paramount has dropped the ball and will let their official Star Trek Website go by the wayside. Here is the official Press Release from StarTrek.com:

Goodbye from the STARTREK.COM Team. Sadly, we must report that CBS Interactive organization is being restructured, and the production team that brings you the STARTREK.COM site has been eliminated. Effective immediately.

We don't know the ultimate fate of this site, which has served millions of Star Trek fans for the last thirteen years.

If you have comments, please send them to editor @ startrek.com - we hope someone at CBS will read them.

Thank you for your loyal fandom over the years. It has been a pleasure to serve you.

What is it with corporate heads? Why don't they get it? Paramount, within just a year, will be releasing the biggest Trek film since "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" & "Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country" and they decide to eliminate their main source of online communication with fans across the world.

Well, stay tuned to Slice of SciFi as we will endeavor to continue keeping you up-to-date on all that is happening in the Star Trek universe. And, our fondest wishes for the staff at StarTrek.com, hopefully, they will soon find gainful employment elsewhere.

billybob476

Wow, this is horrible. I know it costs money to maintain a website but they can't be hurting for money that badly!

Bryancd

Rico

Didn't this get reported a year or two ago as well?  I wouldn't worry too much - yet.  I'm sure something will remain or they will relaunch a bigger and better site.

Jen

I suspect they're building a new site; maybe they're outsourcing it now to a company like 2advanced (an awesome flash design firm). With a new movie coming out, it's possible they want the aesthetics to match the look and feel of the new movie...
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

jedijeff

It would be to bad if it goes away. I agree with the movie coming out, they would want to keep some sort of presence online. The great thing about startrek.com is that it holds so much information about the entire Star Trek franchise, if it just because a site for the new movie with some trailers, and information on the new movie, I think that would be a let down.

Jen

Quote from: jedijeff on December 15, 2007, 06:43:57 AM
It would be to bad if it goes away. I agree with the movie coming out, they would want to keep some sort of presence online. The great thing about startrek.com is that it holds so much information about the entire Star Trek franchise, if it just because a site for the new movie with some trailers, and information on the new movie, I think that would be a let down.

I know, aside from just wanting an official Star Trek site to always be up... I obtain a lot of RPG resource material between startrek.com and alphamemory.com.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Blackride

I am not sure I understand this at all. Yes, there is a development cost for keeping the site up and Yes, there is a cost for the bandwith but it makes no sense with a new movie coming out.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

KingIsaacLinksr

Once again, corporate must protect every dollar that its CEO gets.  <.< ..................

On the bright side we could make Treksinscifi.com the main website for all information.  :) 

heh heh
Hey, its an idea.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Geekyfanboy

I'm hoping like some of you have said.. they are re-launching the site.. bigger and better... guess we just have to wait and see.

Ktrek

I guess this shows what value Star Trek is to CBS. We better hope the new movie does well because otherwise it may be a long time before there is any Star Trek again.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

wraith1701

I have to hope that they plan on relaunching with a new, improved version of the site... maybe "Startrek.com-E." ;)

I like having an "official site" around; it attracts folks who are actually involved with the films, TV shows, and books.  In fact, I've had the opportunity to interact with my second favorite Star Trek author on their message boards.   ;D

Rico

Quote from: Ktrek on December 15, 2007, 03:33:13 PM
I guess this shows what value Star Trek is to CBS. We better hope the new movie does well because otherwise it may be a long time before there is any Star Trek again.

Kevin

Star Trek is VERY important to CBS.  They wouldn't of bought the property a few years ago if it wasn't.  They are remastering all the TOS episodes.  Just released season one on HD-DVD.  Have a movie in 2008, etc.  There is more than meets the eye going on here.  They have a plan.  We just don't know what it is - yet.

Bryancd

Rico is correct. When "Enterprise" got canned, I think ST.com went down as well. And for sure, CBS totally understands the value of the Trek franchise and I would imagine we will see a new ST movie site shortly. They are clearly looking to create anew audience for Trek and need a new look and tone for the site. I'm sure it will peeve us old schoolers but it's the only way Trek can survive another 30 years.  :vulcan

Dan M

Quote from: Ktrek on December 15, 2007, 03:33:13 PM

Kevin

It was only three years ago, after Nemesis' failure and ENT's cancellation, that everyone was claiming Trek was dead.  Now we're getting ready for another movie. 

Trek is a big asset to CBS; it'll be a lot harder to kill than people think.