• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Startrek.com is no more!!!!!!

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 15, 2007, 01:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

It looks like the site isn't going anywhere.  New content is still being added, and the message  boards are still active. 

Quote from: StarTrek dot comKeep the conversation going on StarTrek.com boards

CBS Interactive, which oversees StarTrek.com, is reorganizing the way it does business to align the division's workforce with its new vision that focuses on building communities online.

CBS Interactive remains absolutely committed to StarTrek.com and to growing the site along with its users by directly tapping into and utilizing the passionate fan base that has supported the site.

It has been your support and contributions to the lore of Star Trek that are what make StarTrek.com a vibrant place to be. To that end, we encourage you to keep the conversation alive and flowing using our message boards.

Geekyfanboy

StarTrek.com Cuts Jobs

CBS Interactive has eliminated the jobs of a half-dozen full-time and part-time production staff members who worked at StarTrek.com, which has been the official Star Trek Web site for the past 13 years. The site remains active.

On Dec. 14, a large banner on the site read "FAREWELL!" and a news story said that all jobs "had been eliminated. Effective immediately," and added, "We don't know the ultimate fate of this site."

But by Dec. 17, that had been replaced by the headline "Keep the mission going on StarTrek.com boards" and a CBS Interactive official statement said the site would remain operating.

"CBS Interactive, which oversees StarTrek.com, is reorganizing the way it does business to align the division's workforce with its new vision that focuses on building communities online," the statement said. "CBS Interactive remains absolutely committed to StarTrek.com and to growing the site along with its users by directly tapping into and utilizing the passionate fan base that has supported the site."

The cuts were apparently made as part of a cost-cutting and staff consolidation measure at CBS that resulted in approximately 20 people their losing jobs at CBS.com and CBSNews.com.

Marc Wade, former director of production for StarTrek.com, declined comment; calls to CBS spokesperson Dana McClintock were not returned at press time. --Ian Spelling

Ktrek

I guess it's possible that the staff of Startrek.com lost their jobs for being supportive and favorable of the writers strike. If so, that's too bad because they are not TV or movie writers and should not be penalized for what side they take but I suspect this has a lot to do with it. CBS sure wasn't very considerate of the holiday season being here either but at least the staff should be able to apply for unemployment until they find new work. As talented as they all are I doubt that will take very long.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bryancd

Quote from: Ktrek on December 18, 2007, 09:12:11 PM
I guess it's possible that the staff of Startrek.com lost their jobs for being supportive and favorable of the writers strike. If so, that's too bad because they are not TV or movie writers and should not be penalized for what side they take but I suspect this has a lot to do with it. CBS sure wasn't very considerate of the holiday season being here either but at least the staff should be able to apply for unemployment until they find new work. As talented as they all are I doubt that will take very long.

Kevin

Where in the world do you come up with that? Cost cutting at CBS can certainly be a result of the writers strike, but how can you suggest that their being fired was a result of their support for the writers strike?

Rico

I truly doubt that supporting the writer's was an issue at all.  This has been planned for quite some time and CBS I'm sure has it well thought out.  Again, it's a sad thing, but there are companies that have let go thousands of employees around where I live especially.  And in that scheme, this is a very tiny drop in the bucket.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on December 19, 2007, 07:13:03 AM
I truly doubt that supporting the writer's was an issue at all.  This has been planned for quite some time and CBS I'm sure has it well thought out.  Again, it's a sad thing, but there are companies that have let go thousands of employees around where I live especially.  And in that scheme, this is a very tiny drop in the bucket.

This just....sucks.  I mean, cmon, firing the entire staff?  A bit much if you ask me.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr