• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Forum slowdowns, etc...

Started by Rico, September 24, 2007, 10:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Well, this morning the forum and site slowdowns seem to be continuing.  I've about had my fill of this.  I am currently seriously looking for a new web host.  I have a couple of possibles.  Nothing will change soon and I'm hoping to make this as easy as possible.  My plan is to keep all the past stuff, and just move a bit at a time over.  I'll keep everyone posted.  Thanks for your patience.   :Bow:

billybob476

Well the webhost that Extralife uses handled a digging fairly well over the weekend. Maybe look inot them. I think Scott mentioned he uses ZeStuff.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on September 24, 2007, 10:39:50 AM
Well the webhost that Extralife uses handled a digging fairly well over the weekend. Maybe look inot them. I think Scott mentioned he uses ZeStuff.

I've talked to Scott a bit about his hosting.  He has kind of a unique and special arrangement worked out.  I think I have found one that looks good. 

This one:

http://www.1and1.com

or maybe Dreamhost.

Blackride

Since the sight is slower would you mind talking slower? jk
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Dan M

Yesterday was pretty bad.  Half of the time, the page errored out on load with a Server Not Found message.

KingIsaacLinksr

Whats really annoying is that I blam the delays either to your site or this dorm server...can't tell which lags worse.

XD

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Quote from: pickard on September 24, 2007, 01:37:52 PM
Yesterday was pretty bad.  Half of the time, the page errored out on load with a Server Not Found message.

I'm starting to suspect it has to do when I release a new podcast.  This week it worked out like that.  One of my ideas is to run two sites sort of for awhile.  One to hold the podcasts and one for the forums, main web site, etc.  The good thing about doing it like this is I wouldn't have to move all the old podcasts over and wouldn't have to alter any old links to them, etc.

jedijeff

Good Luck on the move, and I certainly feel your pain. From what I noticed when I had my problems, that it was mostly the MySql and CGI processing that was the main issue for me. My Podcasts always seemed to come down fine, and even looking at pictures and static html pages were fine, just when it came to accessing the site, that things got bad with all the backend server work required

Rico

Well - took the plunge this morning and got a year of Dreamhost hosting for the alternate www.treksinscifi.com domain.  It will take a few days to get up and going.  Basically I'll be transferring over bits of the web site here to there.  Mainly the forums and main page to start.  I'll keep everyone posted on the big move!  Hopefully it will be pretty easy!

billybob476

Let me know if you're going to need any help moving/copying over the forums database.

jedijeff

Good for you Rico, hopefully the transition goes well.