• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Started by brazilianjiujitsu1979, September 19, 2007, 03:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Palpatine playing "possum" or did Mace Windu have him beat?

Playing Possum
4 (33.3%)
Mace Had him Beat DOWN
8 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on September 20, 2007, 05:26:25 AM
But again, I think it's now even more clear (especially after Jen's info) that Mace had Palpy beat.  Only due to Anakin's intervention was he able to beat Mace.  I think this also is the big reason Mace didn't want Anakin to go with them to arrest Palpy.  He knew Anakin was conflicted and not strong enough to resist Palpy's manipulations.

If that's true then that's some bad acting. imo

I need to go get the book and see if they expand on it at all.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Jen

Also, if Palpatine was all powerful...why would he need Anakan? He could just rule his roost alone, without the worry of having another Sith waiting to challenge his power.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

"Always two there are; no more, no less: a master and an apprentice."

Yoda rules. It's the way of things. No questions.

Here is the full explanation of the "rule of two":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_two

Jen

Quote from: billybob476 on September 20, 2007, 10:54:24 AM
"Always two there are; no more, no less: a master and an apprentice."

Yoda rules. It's the way of things. No questions.

Here is the full explanation of the "rule of two":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_two

Geez I know that.   ::)

If he were all powerful would Palpatine waste the time to turn Anakin? I don't think soâ€"he needed him to defeat the Jedi and establish himself as the emperor.

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

And later on Vader would try and do the same with Luke. However Luke seemed to think that falling into an endless abyss was preferable to ruling the galaxy with his dad.

Jen

True, but Palpatine wanted a younger, more powerful apprentice. Vader was his thug and he was getting old. The same thing happened to Duku.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

markinro

Isn't it possible Papa Palpatine :) could have seen this future event ?

billybob476

Quote from: markinro on September 20, 2007, 11:36:11 AM
Isn't it possible Papa Palpatine :) could have seen this future event ?

Maybe, however always in motion is the future. I think Vader was actually serious when he told Luke they'd overthrow the emperor. Lucas mentioned something about it in the ESB commentary. Then Vader would become the master and Luke the apprentice. Vader couldn't on his own becuase of his injuries. He needed Luke to be his weapon.

Blackride

I honestly love these discussions :)...even if you don't agree with me :)
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

billybob476

Rico

Yep - good discussion here.  Just realized this should be in the Star Wars section.  Moving it.

KingIsaacLinksr

Mace had the Emperor down.  End of story.  You could see the fear in his eyes and trust me, it wasn't acting.  Its a pity Yoda didn't get him.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

For the ultimate Sith master, his students kind of sucked. The ONLY ones with any longevity were trained by Yoda or his heirs. The one he trained on his own got killed by a padawan.

X

Also, the emperor used political power, not sith power to seize control. In point of fact, with out the extended universe to count on, he only ever displayed a bit of lightning.

Blackride

Quote from: Just X on September 20, 2007, 04:00:28 PM
Also, the emperor used political power, not sith power to seize control. In point of fact, with out the extended universe to count on, he only ever displayed a bit of lightning.

He ised his Sith power to hide himself and his intentions from Yoda and the rest of the senate.