• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Wars Fantasy or Sci Fi??

Started by Geekyfanboy, September 01, 2007, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Ktrek on September 01, 2007, 07:58:19 PM
I would have to contend the entries for Star Wars being sci-fi as technically they are FANTASY films set in a space setting. There is little to nothing of science within the films at all. That said my favorite sci-fi movies are:
Kevin

Technically it's a matter of opinion on weather Star Wars is Fantasy or Sci fi. Here is the definition of science fiction from the American Heritage Dictionary:

NOUN: A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

hmmm sounds like Star Wars to me. :)

Ktrek

Even George Lucas himself said that Star Wars was space FANTASY and was defintely NOT sci-fi.

Anyway, I do not mean to hi-jack this thread into a debate on the "fantastical" elements of Star Wars.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Geekyfanboy

Okay.. created a new thread for this topic... What does everyone else think??

Ktrek

Well, Kenny...although Star Wars does integrate some technology yet the basic premise of the film is fantasy. It even begins "in a galaxy far far away" which is Lucas' way of saying "once upon a time". The extreme use of the metaphysical is occultic and has no relation to science or science fact at all. If you took the characters out of the space setting (the master occultist and his apprentice, the princess etc.) and placed them in a sword and sorcery story it would still work. Not so with Star Trek.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Ktrek

I would like to add this quote from George Lucas himself from Starlog Magazine number 120 pages 48-49:
"The original idea of STAR WARS kind of got segmented, and the fact the story is a fairy tale got lost, because the science fiction took over", notes George Lucas. "I kept saying, 'Don't call it science fiction!'
I think that [RETURN OF THE JEDI], for better or worse, is going to put the whole thing in perspective. I don't know whether people are going to like it that much, but the truth of it is, that's the way the film was originally designed. People have perceived STAR WARS differently from the way it really is."

Jen

I've heard it described as a Fantasy as well, and I agree that it certainly fits within that category. It's not so much the spaceships and lasers that should be compared...it is the story, how it was written and the basic hero and villains that matter. It is based on ancient folk lore, it follows those old principals and delivers a classic fairy tale set in space. What do I think? I see it as both, and more. It's a Science Fiction, a fantasy, a space western and a space opera. It's artâ€"and it's open to interpretation. An artist can not make his/her viewer see the piece the same way they do...Regardless of what Star Wars is to Lucas, it doesn't mean the same thing to everyone else. That's the beauty of art and the beauty of Star Wars.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

jedijeff

Well said Jen. That's the great thing about Star Wars, that it can mean something different to everyone, and does not necessarily need to be classified into one Genre.

moyer777

Star Wars is a cool set of movies and books with neato spacey gadgets used by heroes and villians.

oh, and cool special effects.

Oh, and neat alien type beings.

oh and nifty ships and stuff.

oh, and light sabers.

(please sing) na, na, nana, na na na, na na na na na, na na na na.
:dstar

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

darthcooley

X

Lucas could call it anything that he wants, but he would still be wrong. just because he made the movie does not mean that the english language is redefined for his sake. I still think that phantom meanece was nothing more that a two hour commercial for the pod racer game and the toys. I saw it two days early and after years of waiting for it, fell asleep.

X

Perhaps I should put my last post into perspective. When Undiscovered Country came out, we bought a ticket package that played every other movie in the series in order on the big screen, leading to the midnight release of Undiscovered Country. We saw every minute of every movie and only left our seats for intermissions. Prep for PM was seeing the trillogy the day before and sleeping early  to go out  after movie. Passed out right around the word miticlorines was said. In hindsight, maybe passed out is a better word than sleep. I think he might have broken my brain and it retreated from further injuries.

Jen

Quote from: Just X on September 08, 2007, 06:48:16 PM
I think he might have broken my brain and it retreated from further injuries.
:D  :roflmao :D :) :-\
Oh...it wasn't THAT bad. It wasn't Shakespeare , but it was entertaining.  :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

I think that I expected a little more given that he had about two decades to work on the story. Counting all three movies he had, on average, to dedicate just two hours a year to come up with something better.

Jen

So you didn't like any of the new moviesâ€"not one thing about them was entertaining? Not one single thing? I bet you liked the duels...They were a marked improvement.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

I actually enjoyed the third and liked parts of the first, but I think that, after reading so many of the books, was expecting something more. I knew going in that my favorites of the series had less Lucas involvement, but I still went in wanting Lucas to blow me away with the story and the level of effects we have come to expect from him. The effects rocked. I needed the story to meet the effects.