• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Future of Star Trek

Started by Ktrek, June 03, 2007, 08:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is a Star Trek movie the right move for the future of the franchise?

Yes
No
Maybe
I don't know
Star Trek should stay in hibernation

Ktrek

I was reading the Star Trek XI thread and got thinking whether a movie is really Paramount's best decision for the future of Star Trek? Is it possible that a new series should be at the top of their priority list instead? A re-imagined Star Trek as a series might actually do better in capturing a new audience for Star Trek. I really doubt that a new movie is going to do that but a modern series with the grit of Battlestar Galactica, and the writing of a Stargate, or the imagination of a Heroes, could possible bring in another generation into the Star Trek fold. I think if the plan is to do only movies then the fan thirst will not be satisfied, and then those core fans will move on to other series that will fulfill the need and Star Trek will slip away into a distant memory. Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else thinks? Is a movie the right direction for the franchise?

And...before someone decides to knock me down I want to say that I am looking forward to the new movie with high hopes and expectations ,but I have my doubts that it will be able to make a box office success. I think a movie would stand a better chance based on the success of a successful series while that series is a hot commodity, if they could launch a successful series. It would not even then have to be a film with the series cast but just using the Star Trek universe.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Duffster

I am kinda worried about the new movie, but will view it with an open mind. I voted for maybe, because it could really boost the franchise, or it could hurt the possibility future big budget Trek films.

I am hoping for the best though

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

I'm not really sure the new movie will be a big deciding factor on doing a new series or not.  For example, let's say the movie does well.  I would then think they might just wait and do another movie perhaps.  If the movie does ok or not so well, a new series will probably eventually happen anyway.  I still think a new series needs to be a sort of next, next generation series.  With some very exotic planets, aliens, technology, etc.  With CGI this is more possible on a TV budget now.  While the tone of this series might need to be a bit different than traditional TREK, I really don't want it to be as grim as BSG is at times.  In my view, that isn't Star Trek.

With all that said, I do think a new movie first is the best move.  It is a way to test the waters a bit without starting a whole new series yet.

Bryancd

I think it might be easier for Paramount to revive the entire franchise with 2-3 solif feature film performances which could lead back into episodic TV. It's 1979 all over again!

moyer777

Either way, I am just thrilled that they are going to do another Trek project.  I was very sad when Nemesis didn't do well.  It bummed me out.  I miss the TNG crew, but I am sure something good will come out of this next movie.  I think it is cool that JJ is doing this, he has a good track record and I like some of his other stuff.  After reading all of his interviews and love for Trek, I think this could be really great.

Here's hoping!

:laugh:

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

psikeyhackr

QuoteI was very sad when Nemesis didn't do well.  It bummed me out.

I thought Nemesis was merely tolerable, so why did they bother.

FOR THE MONEY!

I wonder how many people involved in making Trek are neither sci-fi nor Star Trek fans.  At best they think we are a bunch of goof balls to make money off of.  Nemesis was just another good guy vs bad guy story.  There are so many Trek episodes that are better it's not funny. They should make a list of the top 70 Trek episodes, 10%.  If a movie script isn't as good as those episodes then they shouldn't bother.

I would rather have no Trek than bad Trek.

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

jedijeff

I think that a Movie is a good move for them, as I think it will generate more Buzz then a TV series. Studio seem to market movies much more agressively then television series. They only jump on TV series after they have proven themselfs a bit. With the Movie, they can probably do a lot more promotion and merchandising. I beleive that we will see another series in the next few years as well. If the Live action Star Wars series does well, that may gets execs thinking about another Trek series.

Ktrek

Quote from: jedijeff on June 04, 2007, 09:28:05 PM
I If the Live action Star Wars series does well, that may gets execs thinking about another Trek series.

That's the one thing I hate! Star Trek shouldn't be hanging on the coattails of Star Wars but just the opposite. There are only 6 SW movies and there are 10, soon to be 11, ST movies and almost 700 hours of episodes. Star Wars should be following on Star Trek's coattails, not the opposite.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

iceman

This movie will either revive the franchise, or really kill it, fans do not want another nemises.

jedijeff

Quote from: Ktrek on June 04, 2007, 09:51:53 PM
Quote from: jedijeff on June 04, 2007, 09:28:05 PM
I If the Live action Star Wars series does well, that may gets execs thinking about another Trek series.
That's the one thing I hate! Star Trek shouldn't be hanging on the coattails of Star Wars but just the opposite. There are only 6 SW movies and there are 10, soon to be 11, ST movies and almost 700 hours of episodes. Star Wars should be following on Star Trek's coattails, not the opposite.

Kevin
Considering that Star Trek and Star Wars are the two largest Sci-Fi Franchises, I would think the execs at CBS/Paramount would be looking to see how Star Wars does as it would give them a good idea if there is interest for another Star Trek Series. I am sorry if I came across as saying that Star Wars was better then Star Trek, that was not my intent, I love both equally, and view both equally. I guess I just wanted to articulate what I would consider an exec to be thinking if they were planning on green lighting another Trek series.

I think Regardless, going with a Movie is the right thing to do, as it will generate more buzz then a new Television series might come after. I really hope they do more Trek series, as that is what I really love about Star Trek, the weekly stories.

psikeyhackr

QuoteThat's the one thing I hate! Star Trek shouldn't be hanging on the coattails of Star Wars but just the opposite. There are only 6 SW movies and there are 10, soon to be 11, ST movies and almost 700 hours of episodes. Star Wars should be following on Star Trek's coattails, not the opposite.

Kevin

QuoteI am sorry if I came across as saying that Star Wars was better then Star Trek, that was not my intent, I love both equally, and view both equally. I guess I just wanted to articulate what I would consider an exec to be thinking if they were planning on green lighting another Trek series.

This is the problem with the "science fiction" movie market.  As far as I'm concerned Star Wars isn't even science fiction.  The first three from the 70's and 80's were good, light entertainment.  I waited for #1 and #2 to come on cable and I still haven't seen #3.  But good movies cost a lot so the producers want mass appeal.  Personally I don't think really good SF is likely to have mass appeal.

The Abyss *Special Edition* is better than any Star Trek film that has been made to date but it was cut down for the theaters and I was pleasantly shocked at how much better the *Special Edition* was.  But how much of the movie going audience is neither Trekkies nor sci-fi fans?  How many will go to a good Trek movie but won't watch the show with any regularity no matter how good Trekies think it is?

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

Ktrek

I would tend to agree with you psik! Star Wars really isn't sci-fi but fantasy.  I still enjoy them and I would say the first three (eps 4,5 &6) are the best of the series but I have found the others also fun in their own way and have enjoyed them much more with sebsequent viewings.

As for how many people would go to a good Trek film but wouldn't watch the show I can't say but I actually think the majority of tickets have been and always will be bought by fans of the show and not just the casual viewer.

Kevin

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: psikeyhackr on June 05, 2007, 08:18:05 PM

The Abyss *Special Edition* is better than any Star Trek film that has been made to date

Them be fighting words :)  I enjoyed The Abyss when it came out and then I saw the speical edition and loved it even more.. but I have to disagree that the SE edition of the Abyss is NOT better than all the Star Trek films to date.  Better then some.. yes.. but not all.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Quote from: Ktrek on June 03, 2007, 08:36:42 PM
I was reading the Star Trek XI thread and got thinking whether a movie is really Paramount's best decision for the future of Star Trek? Is it possible that a new series should be at the top of their priority list instead? A re-imagined Star Trek as a series might actually do better in capturing a new audience for Star Trek. I really doubt that a new movie is going to do that but a modern series with the grit of Battlestar Galactica, and the writing of a Stargate, or the imagination of a Heroes, could possible bring in another generation into the Star Trek fold. I think if the plan is to do only movies then the fan thirst will not be satisfied, and then those core fans will move on to other series that will fulfill the need and Star Trek will slip away into a distant memory. Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else thinks? Is a movie the right direction for the franchise?
Star Trek has been oversaturated to the point where people just don't care anymore except for us sci-fi geeks.  Televised Star Trek should have ended with Voyager "Endgame" in 2001.  3 TV shows in the same time period was PLENTY!  Setting the next show in an early century was a smart move, but it was too soon.  The franchise needed to breath so the audience could go watch something else for a while.  After five or so years, then bring on the prequel show, because the audience would have had time to miss Star Trek.  I think a movie is the best move, because it will test the audience with a big budget feature film.  If it's well recieved, they can make a 12th movie or a 6th TV series.  If it's not well recieved... Star Trek will get a reimagining or Paramount will likely decide it's run it's coarse and time to move on to other projects.

QuoteAnd...before someone decides to knock me down I want to say that I am looking forward to the new movie with high hopes and expectations ,but I have my doubts that it will be able to make a box office success. I think a movie would stand a better chance based on the success of a successful series while that series is a hot commodity, if they could launch a successful series. It would not even then have to be a film with the series cast but just using the Star Trek universe.
I think the TNG movies were hurt by the fact that new Star Trek could be seen on TV for free.  The first four movies were released when there were no new episodes to see on TV.  I think that factor may help make 11 a successful movie.  Granted, it has to be a good movie in it's own right.

I would say Star Trek died of oversaturation more than anything.  I know Law & Order and CSI are huge hits, but you have to realise that those are realistic shows set in today.  They tell stories that could actually happen to you if you were in the city the show is set in.  I'm not saying it's 100% realistic, but you get my point.  Today's TV audience wants realism, not space ships and aliens.  Star Trek is a hard concept to sell, so when you can get people to watch... make a little bit at a time.  Keep their interest peeked.  Make too much, and they'll loose interest.  You'll also create "fan factions" where fans of one show argue with fans of the other show, scaring off the casual TV viewer.

iceman

I think Paramount will be very careful in picking a good script, Star Trek Fans will not tolerate another bad movie, which is why they are going out of their way to try to make a good movie with a good story. Failure to do this will ultimately kill this franchise.