• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Finally getting that new PC!!!!!

Started by Jobydrone, July 19, 2015, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Just pulled the trigger on my new PC.  Haven't owned a tower desktop PC since early 2000's, working with laptops and then an iMac since 09.  Really really looking forward to Wednesday, delivery day. I was looking hard at the prebuild sites and considering just shopping for each piece individually, but decided to go with a fully prebuilt system, this is what I am getting:

ASUS G10AJ-US010S
Summary
Processor   3.6 GHz Core i7-4790
RAM   16 GB DDR3
Hard Drive   2048 GB Serial ATA
Graphics Coprocessor   NVIDIA GTX970
Graphics Card Ram Size   4 MB
Wireless Type   802.11A
Number of USB 3.0 Ports   6
Operating System   Windows 8.1
Flash Memory Size   128.0
Hard Drive Interface   Serial ATA-600
Hard Drive Rotational Speed   7200 RPM
Optical Drive Type   DVD-Writer / Blu-ray

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Very good set of parts.  The processor and 970 video card are solid as is the ASUS board.  Should serve you well.  Welcome back to real computer gaming!  :)

Jobydrone

Thanks Rico, this is my first computer ever specific for gaming...so it's just WELCOME :)

Looking forward to my first Steam sale :)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

WillEagle

The i7 is a very nice processor. I use an i5 and love it!

Jobydrone

Looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement having the OS on flash memory will be

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone on July 20, 2015, 02:35:11 PM
Looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement having the OS on flash memory will be

Mostly just boot speed.

Jobydrone

Hmm, my SSD is small, does it make sense to move windows off the SSD to make room for software?

MARKO

How come you didn't get a 27" iMAC?
"Amat Victoria Curam"

Jobydrone

Well Mark that's a complicated answer, but since you asked...

I loved my 27" iMac until just over one year (after the warranty expired) after purchasing, the screen failed.  About two inches from the bottom of the screen, all the way across, a white line appeared, and all the space underneath the line was alternately blurred, vibrating, or a mirror of the top two inches of the screen.  Also, a bright blue line appeared just to the left of the middle of the screen, from top to bottom.  It made gaming, watching videos, or doing much of anything on the computer at worst impossible and at best annoying.  After researching on line (of course nothing exists on the official Apple forums because any issues they don't acknowledge goes unanswered and eventually deleted) it turns out this is a common defect in the 27" iMac, is a hardware issue, and would require a replacement LCD which would cost around $800.

So as a workaround, I ordered a mini-display port to HDMI adapter for $40, and used my 24" Playstation TV as the primary monitor, and shoved the broken, worthless, annoying 27" all-in-one under my table out of sight.  This worked well enough for a few months, until the mini display port on the iMac failed as well.  So now, for the past three years or so, I've been just using my computer as little as possible, only when I have to, annoyed every time I look at it.  It's mostly a movie/you tube/Netflix machine for my kids.  Until last month, that is, when the display just started turning off in the middle of whatever you were doing on the machine.  Now the computer won't run for more than twenty seconds or so before the screen turns off.

Anyway, I feel like I got hosed with a lemon that failed mere months after the warranty expired.  I paid ALOT of money for this machine, and got very little of the promised use out of it, so Apple left me with a pretty bad taste in mu mouth as to their line of computers.  I love their aesthetic, the way their hardware interfaces with each other, and the simplicity of their design.  I don't love their closed ecosystem, the fact that there's no good games made for it, that you cant upgrade or improve it as time goes on, and I don't love that the first generation of Oculus Rift won't be able to run on it.

So I went PC.

Bromptonboy

Sounds like a cool new machine.  i am in the market for a new one as well - since my primary machine keeps shutting down.
Pete

Jobydrone

Today's the day, I'm very excited and nervous.  The computer should arrive tonight according to amazon.  I've been working with windows 7 at work for years now, but I'm completely unfamiliar with Windows 8.1, and I think it's very soon that the free upgrade to 10 is available.  My understanding is that 10 includes a lot of the great upgrades and features of 8.1 but returns to the familiar interface that windows users are used to.  I'm not sure if I should stick with 8.1 for a while or upgrade as soon as possible.

Rico

You can get some add on's like "Classic Shell" to make Win 8.1 act and look more like Windows 7.

Jobydrone

So far I love it!  First post from the new computer. 

But UGH I forgot what a pain in the ASS it is to have an iPhone and try to use it on a new computer.  Can't sync it without deleting everything.  Got a new HDD coming in the mail tomorrow, have to transfer everything over from the iMac...that's going to be a hardship doing it literally in the dark as the display shuts off every ten seconds.  Eventually I guess I'll get my essential files transferred and then can wipe and reinstall everything onto my phone.  What a PAIN

Rico

Yeah, at first it will take some time to get things all set.  Did you have an iCloud backup for your iPhone?  Would that help?

Jobydrone

Quote from: Rico on July 23, 2015, 08:37:32 AM
Yeah, at first it will take some time to get things all set.  Did you have an iCloud backup for your iPhone?  Would that help?
Nah never messed with the iCloud, and I think what's available for free is only like 5Gb?  Wouldn't really help this situation with my 128 gig phone.