• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Finally getting that new PC!!!!!

Started by Jobydrone, July 19, 2015, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Quote from: Jobydrone on July 19, 2015, 03:39:58 PM
Just pulled the trigger on my new PC.  Haven't owned a tower desktop PC since early 2000's, working with laptops and then an iMac since 09.  Really really looking forward to Wednesday, delivery day. I was looking hard at the prebuild sites and considering just shopping for each piece individually, but decided to go with a fully prebuilt system, this is what I am getting:

ASUS G10AJ-US010S
Summary
Processor   3.6 GHz Core i7-4790
RAM   16 GB DDR3
Hard Drive   2048 GB Serial ATA
Graphics Coprocessor   NVIDIA GTX970
Graphics Card Ram Size   4 MB
Wireless Type   802.11A
Number of USB 3.0 Ports   6
Operating System   Windows 8.1
Flash Memory Size   128.0
Hard Drive Interface   Serial ATA-600
Hard Drive Rotational Speed   7200 RPM
Optical Drive Type   DVD-Writer / Blu-ray

I'm also looking to buy a new PC and I was at Nebraska Furniture Mart and they have this ASUS in our local store for only $799.00 (not sure why it's $100 more online). Is this pretty much the same PC you got and is this a good buy?

http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=42014969
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jobydrone

It looks like a good computer that's not exactly what I have.  I don't see an SSD or an optical (DVD) drive, and the video card is less powerful.  Looks like the price is maybe a bit high at $800 not sure though.  For a second I thought you meant you saw the computer I just bought for $800 and I was about to poop my pants because I paid quite a bit more than that lol.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to maximize space on my SSD.  I've installed some "essential" programs on it and only have like 25 GB left.    Is it okay to move stuff manually to the traditional HDD?  Will the system recognize that I've moved stuff or will I start to get error messages? 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

Man Steam is so incredible and dangerous for me.  The Steam store with just a iMac is not the same as the Steam store with a brand new gaming computer.  I need to hide the credit cards.

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone on July 24, 2015, 06:34:31 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to maximize space on my SSD.  I've installed some "essential" programs on it and only have like 25 GB left.    Is it okay to move stuff manually to the traditional HDD?  Will the system recognize that I've moved stuff or will I start to get error messages? 

If you have Windows on your SSD I wouldn't worry about too much else.  Never move any part of Windows to another drive.  If you want another program on another drive I would uninstall it and then just reinstall on the other drive.