• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Podcast # 438 - Starfleet Ships

Started by Rico, May 26, 2013, 06:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

A great guest cast coming your way this week with Rick, Jeff, and Bryan covering other ships in Starfleet.  Here are some notes from them about this show:

This weeks podcast is guest hosted by Rick, Bryan and Jeff and they talk about the other ships of Starfleet not named Enterprise. They cover ships such as Voyager, Reliant and many more. They go into details of the different classes of ships, what they like about them and other facts surrounding the ships. They also dig into some of the behind the scenes details on how the ships were designed and used in the Movies and TV programs, and some other trivia surrounding the ships. They also get into some discussion on Star Trek Into Darkness and give some thoughts on the movie. They also discuss some of the ships for the new Star Trek movies, and talk about the USS Enterprise, USS Kelvin and USS Vengeance. Rick, Bryan and Jeff will be back for a future podcast to cover off Star Trek Alien ships, so keep your hailing frequencies open for that.

Thanks guys for doing this and enjoy the podcast everyone!

http://www.treksinscifi.com/podcasts/TreksinSciFi_438_Starfleet_Ships.mp3

Praxis

:thumbsup :thumbsup  ;D Friggin' awesome podcast! I can't get enough of this starship talk. It's one of my favorite aspects of the trek universe. I've got geeky-ass friends but NONE of them would ever go this deep with me on ship design stuff, I'm sure many of you can relate. That's why I'm thankful for this forum and podcast. Looking forward to the next ships episode!

Bryancd

Thank you so much! We had a great time doing it as well, more to come!

WillEagle

Looking foward to this one guys. Really enjoyed the last one.

fatfather_2005

well i love any show talking about starships. i used to build models, but i ran out of space in "the cave".
great show guys, i just wish i had listened sooner. but i will be posting on the forums.
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.

fatfather_2005

i loved the show, looking for the next show now, lol.
i am glad i am not the only star trek gear head. 
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.

M-5

Great podcast, you guys!  I love talking about starships.  It's good to hear that someone else digs the Excelsior class starship.  It's one of my favorites.  I love its Art Deco look.

billybob476

About 3/4 of the way though, totally loving this one guys. Amazing talk about one of my favourite Trek topics!

Dangelus

Great show,  love ship talk. :-)

ChrisMC

Had a great time listening to this, and when you guys were talking about the Vengeance's speed, you said that if it was 3 times as fast, it would travel Warp 24. But the warp scale is exponential, so using this http://www.anycalculator.com/warpcalculator.htm warp calculator:

Warp 8=1024 x the speed of light (c)
Warp 9=1516.38 x the speed of light
Warp 9.5=2548.24 x the speed of light
Warp 9.63= 3098 x the speed of light

So the Vengeance's top speeds are about Warp 9.63, using the TNG era warp scale. Not crazy, but more in line with the ships in TNG, not TOS. That's pretty geeky, sorry.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

jedijeff

Thanks for the comments guys, happy you liked the podcast.

Thanks for the clarification on the Warp speeds Chris. That makes a lot of sense, I was actually talking to a co worker about that today, so will let him know tomorrow that it should be more in line with TNG era speeds

Vartok

I really enjoyed listening to the Ships episode.  I thought to myself, listen to these guys, how geeky can you get.  Until I remembered a day later that I, uhhh, built my own Type 15 shuttlepod 20 years ago in my basement for my kids.  Now who is geeky?  Oh boy. 

Here are some pics.  Alas it has since been dismantled to become a storage room.  But the kids loved playing video games and doing overnights in it.  It had a door on pneumatic lifters, a foldown bunk bed, an Atari 1200 system with game cartridges, a working phone, and lots of buttons and switches to make things light up.  And it was named the Armstrong, after Neil of course.

V

Dangelus

I had this at the back of my mind when i was listening to the warp speed discussion.  It does look like they are using the more refined TNG warp speed scale. I am to recall that they went over warp 10 a couple of times in TOS.

Bryancd

Rico