• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Started by Rico, November 10, 2012, 05:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Here are some official statements from the folks involved on JJ directing...

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

"It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said Kennedy. "J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."

George Lucas went on to say "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor," J.J. Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as Star Trek, Super 8, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, and this year's Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm's preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with Mission: Impossible III. He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as Felicity, Alias, Lost and Fringe.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99397

Bryancd

Dangelus

I'm sure he'll do a great job.  It's funny because I thought the changes he made to the Trek movie in terms of how the tech works is what I disliked the most about the movie (phasers that work like blasters, warp drive that works like hyper drive etc) but are totally Star Wars.

Bryancd

Quote from: Dangelus on January 26, 2013, 05:34:53 AM
I'm sure he'll do a great job.  It's funny because I thought the changes he made to the Trek movie in terms of how the tech works is what I disliked the most about the movie (phasers that work like blasters, warp drive that works like hyper drive etc) but are totally Star Wars.

Yeah, he brought the kinetic action of STAR WARS into Trek, so certainly he can reverse engineer that!

jedijeff

Looks like he has a solid team behind him as well, every day this  new Star Wars movie becomes more and more real and tangible to me. Kicking off with the new Trek movie, the next few years are going to have some great movies coming out, almost can't believe what we will be getting.

ChrisMC

2015- SW7, Avengers 2, Justice League...too much potential awesomeness.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

ricdude

Quote from: Bryancd on January 26, 2013, 05:43:18 AM
Quote from: Dangelus on January 26, 2013, 05:34:53 AM

Yeah, he brought the kinetic action of STAR WARS into Trek, so certainly he can reverse engineer that!

Reverse Engineering is one thing, Reversing the Polarity may require some extra effort...

Rico

This is kind of fun.  Mostly the cinematic from the MMO game - but still fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q99q5dV2ko#ws

Dangelus

JJ isn't known for good time keeping so any date scheduled for this movie is pretty irrelevant at this point. :)

Ensign Random

Quote from: Dangelus on January 28, 2013, 11:54:15 PM
JJ isn't known for good time keeping so any date scheduled for this movie is pretty irrelevant at this point. :)

ROTFL
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
http://smartgirlsscifi.wordpress.com
@mrsbookmark

billybob476

Quote from: Ensign Random on January 29, 2013, 04:09:49 AM
Quote from: Dangelus on January 28, 2013, 11:54:15 PM

ROTFL

Either way, I'd rahter see a finished movie a year late then a rushed out movie just to make a soecific date.

Bryancd

He's also known to be not a fan of filming in 3D, I wonder if Disney will insist on it or do a conversion like Paramount did with ST Into Darkness (which based on the IMAX trailer looked great).

Bryancd

JJ speaks! Sort of!

Star Wars: Episode VII
Now that J.J. Abrams is officially, completely confirmed as the director for the new Star Wars movie, what does the man himself have to say about it? Here's an unabridged transcript of every last thing the as always loquacious Abrams had to say when first asked about it this past weekend:

"It really is an incredible thing. It's wildly surreal. It's obviously way too early to talk specifics. But I'm excited to actually start it."

Scintillating, scintillating stuff. Actually, here's an equally terse but somewhat more forthcoming quote, at least by Abrams's standards:

"I can just say what I want to do: I want to do the fans proud. I want to make sure the story is something that touches people. And we're just getting started. I'm very excited."

Dangelus