• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Disney to buy Lucasfilm and release Star Wars Episode 7?!!!

Started by Dangelus, October 30, 2012, 01:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Well, fortunately STAR WARS isn't sic-fi, it's fantasy. It's never had any real meaningful "danger" or "edgy" qualities to it. It's for kids. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

wraith1701

I'm excited about seeing NEW STAR WARS!!  My head is spinning as I try to imagine what shape the new films will take.

What I hope:  The films pick up 20 years or so after ROTJ.  I'd really like to see them at least loosely follow the EU timeline, and feature the next generation of Skywalkers and Solos.  Perhaps there could be a cameo or two by Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Billie Dee Williams or Carrie Fisher as older versions of the characters they played in the original trilogy. 

It would be pretty difficult for me to swallow new actors playing Han, Luke, Lando or Leia.  Either leave them out altogether, or use the same actors.

Bryancd

Countdown begins to the Joe Johnston directed Boba Fett film that he lobbied for last year...

davekill

Quote from: Bryancd on October 30, 2012, 03:33:41 PM
Well, fortunately STAR WARS isn't sic-fi, it's fantasy. It's never had any real meaningful "danger" or "edgy" qualities to it. It's for kids. Sounds like a match made in heaven.
You're right, but I didn't want to go there - seems almost disrespectful.
If the storm troopers had better aim, it could of have been epic.   :lol2

Bryancd

Quote from: davekill on October 30, 2012, 04:28:59 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on October 30, 2012, 03:33:41 PM
You're right, but I didn't want to go there - seems almost disrespectful.

I think that i what makes STAR WARS so special.

Rico

I am still digesting all this but I will say this has got to be one of the best kept secrets ever.  Even the recent big Star Wars con had no indication about this.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on October 30, 2012, 04:45:19 PM
I am still digesting all this but I will say this has got to be one of the best kept secrets ever.  Even the recent big Star Wars con had no indication about this.

Rumor has it they wanted to announce this at CVI but just could'y get it all together by then.

jedijeff

I must say this is huge news for sure. Looking forward to what they do with Episode 7, like Eric said, I hope they tie in the EU somehow. Even though I sort of know what Happens with the Solo Kids, would be cool to see something with Jania/Jacen Solo, or maybe the rebuilding of the Jedi Order. Going to be interesting times to say the least.

Bryancd

I can tell you right now, Lucas will remain a creative consultant and he HATES Mara Jade. Let these folks go in new directions, don't pigeon hole them into EU. Wrong direction.

jedijeff

Will See, I tend to agree with your Bryan as they will do their own thing. It would be nice if they did take some elements from the EU, there are some great characters, and not saying they have to be locked into the EU storylines.

Bryancd

Quote from: jedijeff on October 30, 2012, 05:35:16 PM
Will See, I tend to agree with your Bryan as they will do their own thing. It would be nice if they did take some elements from the EU, there are some great characters, and not saying they have to be locked into the EU storylines.

I agree, ther are great EU characters, but that doesn't mean there can't be great new character as well. We shouldn't cling to the familiar just because it's comfortable.

jedijeff

Quote from: Bryancd on October 30, 2012, 05:54:43 PM
Quote from: jedijeff on October 30, 2012, 05:35:16 PM

I agree, ther are great EU characters, but that doesn't mean there can't be great new character as well. We shouldn't cling to the familiar just because it's comfortable.

I have no doubt there will be great new characters, but as well, a character should not be looked over because it was in a book. I know it might not be the Movies, but The Black Sun does show up in the Clone Wars, so it is not outside the realm for something from the books to make the transition. I do agree, that it is part fanboy in me just wishing to see some elements of the EU come to life. I guess we have a few years of fun to speculate about the new movie, just like we do with Star Trek :)

WillEagle

Doesn't George try to keep everything in some sort of order as far as timelines go? I haven't read any of the books where the Solo or Skywalker kids are older so I'm really behind so if they didn't follow the EU I probably wouldn't even know it.
I wonder if the will keep the 3D versions coming out?

davekill

Quote from: Bryancd on October 30, 2012, 05:27:27 PM
I can tell you right now, Lucas will remain a creative consultant and he HATES Mara Jade. Let these folks go in new directions, don't pigeon hole them into EU. Wrong direction.
Maybe Disney will play it safe and start off with a Holiday Special.
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Geekyfanboy

Most exciting news ever... never thought I would live to see the day where we would get a Star Wars episodes 7, 8 and 9.. he promised these things 35 years ago... and it looked like it's finally happening.. AWESOME time to be Star Wars fan!!!!