• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Abrams next TV show - "Revolution"

Started by Rico, May 09, 2012, 03:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Sorry, guys but after 15 years of "living off the land" I really have a hard time buying both people being very heavy still and also how good and clean most of them look.  Yeah, maybe they could still eat a fair amount but EVERYONE should be having to do a lot more manual labor than ever before - for years (burning the calories off from that fried chicken).  While yeah, it's possible a few people could still have some weight issues I'd much rather see people looking leaner and dirtier.

WillEagle

Well a lot of them are still living in houses so maybe after weeding the garden he ate fried chicken and became a couch potato. The place seemed to be running pretty smoothly so maybe the upkeep isn't as hard anymore. And he could have a secret stash of Snickers bars!
I enjoyed episode 3. Glad this will go on all season.

QuadShot

No more difficult to believe than believing someone could take a Nuke Sub to an island and declare their own No-Fly zone (Last Resort). Or believing that a zombie hoard is taking over the world (Walking Dead), or that Aliens have taken control of Earth (Falling Skies) OR...that John McClane gets himself into yet ANOTHER situation (Die Hard...what 10 by now?). I like all these shows but it's kind of funny at what moments folks will turn on their "hey now, that's just not believable" meter. I understand wanting a little reality but that's what Survivor is for :) I think Revolution is a fairly good show, not the BEST ever, but it's not bad. I'll continue to watch. Regardless of the super clean, overly chubby people with super white teeth! :)

Rico

Rico

Quote from: QuadShot on October 05, 2012, 12:26:53 PM
Quote from: Rico on October 05, 2012, 12:22:49 PM
"The Devil is in the Details."
Huh?

The simple answer is it isn't about the bigger concepts, it's the details that allow me to suspend my disbelief.

QuadShot

Quote from: Rico on October 05, 2012, 12:30:21 PM
Quote from: QuadShot on October 05, 2012, 12:26:53 PM
Quote from: Rico on October 05, 2012, 12:22:49 PM
"The Devil is in the Details."
Huh?

The simple answer is it isn't about the bigger concepts, it's the details that allow me to suspend my disbelief.

Details? So, if say, Shane on Walking Dead had had clean white teeth, you'd have a tough time with that show? :)

Rico

Not that this isn't fun, but it's pretty simple to keep good teeth even after a zombie outbreak.  Simple baking soda will do the trick.  Not to mention the years of fluoridated water and dental checks prior to the outbreak.  Oh, and genetics.

QuadShot

Quote from: Rico on October 05, 2012, 12:40:37 PM
Not that this isn't fun, but it's pretty simple to keep good teeth even after a zombie outbreak.  Simple baking soda will do the trick.  Not to mention the years of fluoridated water and dental checks prior to the outbreak.  Oh, and genetics.
So...then why couldn't this apply to Revolution?

Rico

Quote from: QuadShot on October 05, 2012, 12:46:27 PM
Quote from: Rico on October 05, 2012, 12:40:37 PM
So...then why couldn't this apply to Revolution?

15 years have passed.  That's a long time to keep looking for baking soda.  Especially without a car.  ;)

QuadShot

LOL, well, it's a no win for any of us on this topic. Those of us who like it, will like it and overlook some of the minor "details". Those who don't like it, never will and will nit-pick :) I think it won't really matter for too long anyway. It IS an NBC show!

X

Here is the thing. Back in time, on this very planet, before the advent of electricity, there were heavy people. Go figure right? Not only where there heavy people, those were the preferred choices in mates because it said that you could afford to eat. This guy seemed to be playing the role of community teacher, I think that would imply some sort of payment and little to no physical labors needed.

To continue, even before there was baking soda, there were ways to take care of one's teeth. Hell dentistry was only around since 5000BC. I'm sure that today's folks can come up with tools. The only thing that one needs to add  to a tooth bush to brush with is a mild abrasive and the tool of choice in the civil war was tooh powder, of which some was made up of finely powdered charcoal. Baking soda is only one a hundreds of ways that tooth care could be maintained in a post electric world.

For me, everything that has been mentioned as a problem is something that is historically possible and probable. It seems more like looking for reasons to not like the show rather than actual problems with the show.

The devil is in the details and so far, the state of the characters have been pretty much represented in pre-electrical earth and in numerous Earth civilizations.

PS: Fluoride naturally accumulates in animals and plants and a simple fluoride rinse can be made from a green tea mixture (eg boiling some water with some non-toxic green leave and swirling it around the mouth. Might not taste great, but it works.)

PSS: Many of the above methods are know by most survivalist, doomsday preppers, and any male child that was in the Texas boy scouts.

moyer777

I don't look for things to nit pick, it simply boils down to if I like the characters and the concept.  If I like the characters I can more easily look past the flaws.  I like the characters in the sub drama, not so much in Revolution.  But, I'm still watching.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

X

Quote from: moyer777 on October 06, 2012, 08:42:06 AM
I don't look for things to nit pick, it simply boils down to if I like the characters and the concept.  If I like the characters I can more easily look past the flaws.  I like the characters in the sub drama, not so much in Revolution.  But, I'm still watching.
I think I get where you're coming from. I think the story in Revolutions has me more than some of the characters. I want to know what happened and I'm open to anyone that can get me to that point.

QuadShot

X, VERY well said! You actually voiced everything I was attempting to say, but apparently wasn't getting out properly.

Rick, I understand your point, and for me it's really a combination of characters and story. I think this story is awesome. But then, for some reason I'm drawn to apocalyptic/survival stories! I do like Last Resort, but I'm finding many, many, many holes in the story/concept. I could very easily pick it a part, just as many folks have done here to Revolution. But I won't because I like the characters. I do fear that this story can't last long though.

I'm all for passionate debate on the shows we love! This is fun!!!