• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Abrams next TV show - "Revolution"

Started by Rico, May 09, 2012, 03:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

I don't like watching first run TV shows on my computer or portable device. I want to see it in my living room on the 42" LCD and enjoy it that way. That's how we consume most of our visual media in my house.

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jobydrone

Just watched this at lunch.  Really liked it!  I'll keep watching for sure.  Al I can't believe you didn't get a Hunger Games vibe from the hot brunette teenage girl tear-assing around the woods with a crossbow, but I sure did.  I agree with most of the commentary here and think X has some really good theories, but I will add one more minor quibble...What's with all the headbutting?  I never understood why the headbutt is such a popular offensive technique in action films.  It has to hurt the giver almost as much as the receiver!  Concussion please?

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on September 19, 2012, 09:52:38 AM
I don't like watching first run TV shows on my computer or portable device. I want to see it in my living room on the 42" LCD and enjoy it that way. That's how we consume most of our visual media in my house.

Lol I forget not everyone is like me and have Hulu on their big screen TV via a home theater PC! To me Internet and TV are the same thing :)

X

Quote from: Dangelus on September 19, 2012, 11:01:16 AM

Lol I forget not everyone is like me and have Hulu on their big screen TV via a home theater PC! To me Internet and TV are the same thing :)

I run it all through my Xbox.

Bryancd

Exactly, in fact the vast majority of people are like me and that's why whoever can solve for a satisfactory web browswer experience on a home TV will have a major product on their hands. I have hope that Apple may have solved for that.

Dangelus

Quote from: X on September 19, 2012, 11:02:56 AM

I run it all through my Xbox.

XBMC plugin for me so I don't have to suffer those commercials!

QuadShot

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2012, 08:49:39 AM
That's a great point and in a way kind of what I was saying myself.  It's that little "hiccup" moment when watching something and you say, "come on - really?!?"
But I think this is going to be kind of like Lost where you HAVE to suspend belief. I mean, the moment something unseen happened where ALL the power in the world went out, this show stopped being a typical main-stream drama. One of Rick's questions was about the inhaler. Yeah, I understand that Rick. Joyce has asthma and inhalers do NOT last 15 years. Even with refridgeration. I absolutely DOUBT the writers didn't take that into account. Think about it: they made a POINT of making sure we all saw that this woman had an inhaler for the boy to use. WHY??? This is from JJ Abrams, Bryan Burke and look who directed it: John Favreau. I seriously doubt that wasn't taken into consideration, so instead of saying BOINK on it, I ask why did they do that? There HAS to be a reason that ties in with the whole story sometime later. How about the series 24? I know a LOT of people LOVED that series. "Grounded in reality" right? So answer this: how the HECK could THAT much happen in 24 hours? Unless you suspend reality, that show is quite out there, right?
I truly think that this show is going to bend genre just like Lost did. If you read X's spoiler comments they really put an interesting light on the questions everyone has. And like Joby said, for the most part when watching the stuff WE all like, you really have to remove the "could this happen or not happen" and see it for what it is: entertainment! :) I really look forward to where the crew is going to take this show. Hopefully, NBC doesn't fail! :)

Rico

It's not really that big a thing.  I will still be watching for now.  And I think Al you mean the term "suspend disbelief."  To suspend belief would have the opposite effect of believing what you are being told.  :)

ChrisMC

I really like my Roku box, it does 1080p and with Hulu plus, Amazon Instant Video and Netflix, I didn't have to pay Comast for a new box and outlet.

I think the show is fun and I will keep watching. NBC and sci-fi don't always get along.

Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Yeah, that is the truth about NBC and fantasy/SF.  Did you guys notice who the actor was playing the Monroe character?  David Lyons (last series NBC's "The Cape")  :)

QuadShot

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2012, 03:36:27 PM
It's not really that big a thing.  I will still be watching for now.  And I think Al you mean the term "suspend disbelief."  To suspend belief would have the opposite effect of believing what you are being told.  :)
Uh, yeah. I was...ah, testing you, yeah, that's right....:)

QuadShot

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2012, 03:44:39 PM
Yeah, that is the truth about NBC and fantasy/SF.  Did you guys notice who the actor was playing the Monroe character?  David Lyons (last series NBC's "The Cape")  :)
Yup. And the evil second in command is from Once Upon A Time.

Rico

Quote from: QuadShot on September 19, 2012, 05:38:10 PM

Actually I know him much better as Gus from "Breaking Bad."

Jobydrone

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2012, 06:21:13 PM
Quote from: QuadShot on September 19, 2012, 05:38:10 PM

Actually I know him much better as Gus from "Breaking Bad."
especially when he was wearing those round sunglasses in that one scene. He's a good actor and all but Gus Fring is almost indelibly imprinted on my brain...we'll just have to see
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx