• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Abrams next TV show - "Revolution"

Started by Rico, May 09, 2012, 03:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Jamie and I really enjoyed it! I will say this, if JJ does a multi season long tease as to why the lights went out like he did with Lost I will be irate.

moyer777

I'll keep watching, but I do have several things that made me go huh?

[spoiler]After 15 years, the plane and other things would have been far more overgrown. 
The ending was kind of.... if in fact the person on the computer was referring to the magical necklace, if they would have found "it" she wouldn't have been on the computer now would she?
Did anyone else notice how hunger games it was?
The uncle wipes out an entire group of soldiers. huh?
It struck me as very JERICHO with a touch of Lost in it. 

I want to like it.  I'm hoping it will be good.[/spoiler]

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

I feel close to the same way you do Rick.  It was enjoyable, but things struck me also that made me go, huh?  Also, the scientist in me was having trouble with several things - especially about even batteries not working.

X

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2012, 04:41:36 AM
I feel close to the same way you do Rick.  It was enjoyable, but things struck me also that made me go, huh?  Also, the scientist in me was having trouble with several things - especially about even batteries not working.

I too had questions, but a second viewing cleared up a lot for me:

[spoiler]The complete lack of power including batteries: There is a line in there that says the laws of physics have been changed. I don't know how one goes about changing the laws of physics, but from the way the lights went out, it seems as if a field of some sort had been raised around the world to suppress things. There was a definite epicenter of the failures.

The magic necklaces: I think that this ties directly into whoever shut the power down. They have a means to create a bubble to avoid the problems.

Part of me thinks that this was a terrorist attack designed to stop global warming. Shut it all down and then the problem is solved. It rings of someone desperate enough to protect the needs of the planet over the cost of lives it would cause. It also is something that plays to the title of the show.

Guns: I was honestly surprised that they worked. If guns can work, cars should not be that far behind since both are means of controlled explosions.

Having seen far too many episodes of Population Zero, I did expect more fallout and damage but I'm glad that they did get a lot of it right.

I don't have a problem with the teeth because the sudden removal of processed sugars from the diet would do well to halt cavity production. That and I don't expect them to gunk up the actor's mouths to that extent for "realism".

I really want to know what happened and who is actually in control of this world. It's obvious that someone has a plan and I want to see where that plan goes.

Maybe it was a last ditch effort to stop the rise of the Cylons yet again?

[/spoiler]

Jobydrone

This is queued up and waiting to be seen, I'll let you know what I think.  I'm excited to see this, love JJ.  Frankly though, I've a little less patience these days for the "post-apocalyptic" stoyline, so we'll see if this keeps my interest.  As I get older and fall more in love with my wife and kids every day, I find that dark depressing bleakness is the not the first type of entertainment I choose to expose myself to.  My real life is more than enough of a struggle for survival and imagining being worse off hits too close to home sometimes.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Jamie and I both felt it was very much Falling Skies like.

QuadShot

...And NO one seems to have problems with the "science" or "physics" or "reality" of Star Trek? Or Dr. Who? Or Quantum Leap? Or the Vampire Diaries? Or Terra Nova? :) Wow...It's a TV show dudes. Not a reality show! :)

Bryancd

Quote from: QuadShot on September 19, 2012, 07:59:20 AM
...And NO one seems to have problems with the "science" or "physics" or "reality" of Star Trek? Or Dr. Who? Or Quantum Leap? Or the Vampire Diaries? Or Terra Nova? :) Wow...It's a TV show dudes. Not a reality show! :)

Yeah, I glossed over any of those issues, especially for the first episode. And I also thought wow, these folks look awful pretty for 15 years without electricity but I like shiny people on TV. :)

QuadShot

But Bryan et al, remember that we have NO clue what life would be like in their world do we? Oh sure, we can say "this is how the world was prior to electricty" but if we lost all the power now, it wouldn't BE like it was would it? We KNOW a lot of stuff they didn't back pre-power. We know the importance of being clean and eating properly. So yeah, I could see clean people. Why do we automatically assume that if we have no power, we'd all stink, have hair down to our butt holes and have ratty clothing? I like X's comments behind the spoiler tag, that's an awesome theory on this show. And Rick, not getting the "Hunger Games" reference? I didn't see anyone forcing kids into an arena to fight to the death! :) Personally, I thought it felt more like the Postman than Hunger Games.

X

Brother Al, you make a great point. I think the science is intentional here and I am looking forward to see why.

Rico

I have a pretty easy answer for this one.  There are several types of Sci-Fi or Fantasy shows or movies, but let's put them in two big categories.  First are shows like Trek, Quantum Leap, Stargate, etc.  These shows are completely filled with tech, gadgets and stuff you just have to accept.  Most fantasy falls into this area too.  Then there are the other TV shows (mainly of recent years), like Lost, Flash Forward, and now Revolution that for the most part only have a couple things you need to swallow and are very much "reality" based things.  So, when those shows that are so close to the world we live in have something they mess with (like chemical and physical laws), yeah I have a harder time of it.  Maybe that's weird but that's my answer.

Jobydrone

I think any kind of fiction, even non sci-fi/fantasy, requires a certain level of suspension of disbelief from the viewer to be successful.  That said, it's a mark of quality writing and direction that distracts the average viewer from these kinds of questions.  If you find yourself having time to think "Man this just wouldn't/couldn't ever happen" and it takes you out of enjoying the moment or narrative, then the result has to be considered to some extent a failure.  This can't apply though to experts, geniuses, and savants. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

That's a great point and in a way kind of what I was saying myself.  It's that little "hiccup" moment when watching something and you say, "come on - really?!?"

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Dangelus

Wow I'm just shocked do many of you waited this long to see it since its been on Hulu for 2 weeks already!