• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

FEATHERS HAS NEVER SEEN "THE FINAL FRONTIER"

Started by Trekkygeek, June 06, 2009, 02:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trekkygeek

While I was perusing the topic "Rank the Trek films", It came to my attention that one of our fine members has not seen "The Final Frontier". Now I love a little bit of gentle ribbing and I have given Mike a couple of digs. But I was genuinely surprised.

Surprised enough to start this thread. I'm interested in why you haven't seen it Mike. Is it because you have heard that it isn't one of the stronger movies, or that you just haven't got around to it yet?

Also, I think it's up to his mates here to badger (er, I mean convince) him to put right this wrong as soon humanly possible. Come on everyone, sell "The Final Frontier" to him.  ;D
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

wraith1701

Come one Mike; you have to check it out!  Think of it as a right of passage, like the Klingon Pain-Stick ordeal.  It might hurt a little, but you'll be a stronger Trekker for having endured it! ;)

X

Basically Eric is saying the pain runs deep, share it with me.

Meds

What, what ! Good call Tim. One of our own is letting us down. Good lord man do you not know what you are doing. This is what let the British Empire down, we can't have this behaviour going on here. Think about the troubles man. Darn it with this kind of behaviour they'll have a scotsman playing scotty. ;-)   

Bryancd

Get Mike in front of a TV, stat!!!!! And prepare a stiff drink, he's going to need it to wallow through that misery!

Rico

The Final Frontier has a lot of great moments.  Two examples below.  One - the music is really good. 

Listen to the start of this clip:

Star Trek 5 - The Final Frontier

And this scene is just wonderful:

Kirk, Spock and McCoy go camping!

alanp

They go camping,  get called away on an adventure,  the plot falls apart, and Lenord and De look into the camera as if to say, sorry they had to let him direct one.

Rico

Quote from: AlanP on June 06, 2009, 08:10:28 PM
They go camping,  get called away on an adventure,  the plot falls apart, and Lenord and De look into the camera as if to say, sorry they had to let him direct one.

I think the basic plot/story in this film is actually pretty good.  I like the idea of Spock's half-brother being this very emotional, charismatic Vulcan.  And the God angle is interesting.  I just think they needed things tweaked here and there better.  The back story on this film is the budget was being slashed all over the place and there were issues getting the effects, etc.  Lots of things that hurt the production.  But again, I think it was an interesting subject to tackle.  At least for me.

Feathers

What can I say! My own thread!!

OK, I confess but at least I now have something to do before I die. :)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

jedijeff

I will be honest, in that there were other Star Trek movies I liked less then Star Trek 5. I agree with a lot of what Rico said about it, there were some good elements to the movie, just other things working against it. For me I thought this movie was a bit to short, as it never relayed to me the effort it took to get past the Great Barrier and to Ska Ka Ree, but that was probably a lot to do with budget cuts in things like special effects.
It had its cheesy moments to it, but I actually recall chuckling at them in the theatre. Those moments don't really stand up today, but I guess a person has to view when this movie was made.

Feathers

I don't really know why I missed it when it came out. I'd have thought I'd have seen it regardless - look how quickly I saw the new film. I think that once it was out, it's reputation simply got the better of it with me so I never made the effort to seek it out and watch it.

Dangelus

Quote from: Feathers on June 07, 2009, 07:26:56 AM
I don't really know why I missed it when it came out. I'd have thought I'd have seen it regardless - look how quickly I saw the new film. I think that once it was out, it's reputation simply got the better of it with me so I never made the effort to seek it out and watch it.

That's no excuse, you have to suffer like the rest of us!  :roflmao

Actually, it isn't THAT bad at all. I quite like it.

alanp

Given the choice, I think I would have rather watched a whole movie about Kirk Spock and McCoy camping.  It was the best part of the movie.

Feathers

Meds