• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Trek Comes to Blu-ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 23, 2009, 08:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangelus

Yeah Blu-Ray players when connected via HDMI will upscale standard DVDs, they basically do the same job as an upscaling DVD player although probably not as good a job as a dedicated one.

I have yet to invest in one but I will have to if they release Star Trek 'seriously' on Blu-Ray. I mean not just the movies and TOS-R but plans to remaster the other series. I don't think I will jump to it immediately. It's a shame Microsoft never released a Blu-Ray add-on as my house is networked with 360s already...

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on February 19, 2009, 02:10:15 PM
Ooooooo, then I may have to convince the wife that its the best thing to buy to help for when the baby arrives ;)

If your wife is anything like mine mate you have no chance! I'm not even going to risk it!  ;D

Meds

Feathers

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on February 19, 2009, 02:10:15 PM
Ooooooo, then I may have to convince the wife that its the best thing to buy to help for when the baby arrives ;)
Wow!

Brave or naive, that is the question!

Not jumping on-board here yet, either. (Let's face it, I managed to get agreement for the iPhone at Christmas so my credit's run out. There's no way I'm going to get Blu-ray as well!)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Some great new videos of some footage that will be on the Blu-Ray sets - plus a little commercial for them.  Check it out.

http://www.treksinscifi.com/video/trekbluray.flv

http://www.treksinscifi.com/video/shat_stewart_bluray1.flv

http://www.treksinscifi.com/video/whoppi_shat.flv

Dangelus

Looks like an interesting interview there. Wouldn't mind watching the whole thing actually.

Ktrek

My copy of TOS season one on Blu-Ray came today and I have to say that the picture quality is amazing. The set comes with BOTH the original and remastered. That way no matter which version you prefer you can watch it. I have not had a chance to really check out the special features yet and expore the set but I'm just so happy to see Star Trek like I never have before! Can't beat Blu-Ray and a high def TV.

I'm tempted now to buy the little TNG package they have done just to see TNG in high def and whether it would be worth it if they released it on Blu-Ray. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the set and can't wait for them to release seasons two and three and the movies (the first 6 come out in a week or two and there are now rumours that TNG films will be out by years end).

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Dangelus

TNG remastered in HD would sell Blu-Ray for me!

moyer777

Quote from: Dangelus on April 29, 2009, 10:19:47 PM
TNG remastered in HD would sell Blu-Ray for me!
Oh my, I would be in big trouble, I would have to get a TV AND a Blue Ray player if they did TNG.   

Amy?  :)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Kevin - I'm curious how the original (non-enhanced) TOS episodes look in Blu-Ray?  Are they still cleaned up, etc. just without the new effects?

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on April 30, 2009, 04:36:37 AM
Kevin - I'm curious how the original (non-enhanced) TOS episodes look in Blu-Ray?  Are they still cleaned up, etc. just without the new effects?

They are cleaned up Rico. The only difference is the sfx. And what a difference that is too! The shots of the ship look super grainy on Blu-Ray. The defects of the film are much more noticeable than they are on my original series set (I have the set with 2 eps per disc). They also are a full 1080i shown in fullscreen format. So there are black bars on the side. That was a little strange because I have my DVD player set to show widescreen even if the episode is fullscreen. I've kind of gotten used to images being slightly squished and when I see full screen it just looks like everyone is elongated and unnatural to me now. lol I saw Best Buy has them on sale this week at the same price as Amazon ($64.99). Retail is $129.99. Not sure who would wait and spend double what they have to but...

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

Makes me wonder if it's worth it to put all this older stuff on blu ray. I'd imagine even the first few seasons of TNG wouldn't look so hot.

SPOCKFAN

I have a Blu-ray player and I honestly can not tell the difference between regular DVD's and Blu-ray when I play them on my Bu-ray player because the Blu-ray upconverts the DVD to look high def. So I usually still buy regular dvd's because they are so much cheaper.

Ktrek

Quote from: SPOCKFAN on April 30, 2009, 08:07:10 AM
I have a Blu-ray player and I honestly can not tell the difference between regular DVD's and Blu-ray when I play them on my Bu-ray player because the Blu-ray upconverts the DVD to look high def. So I usually still buy regular dvd's because they are so much cheaper.

I guess my question would be is do you own a 40 inch or larger high def TV? because I can definitely see the difference. Enough for me to upgrade my very favorites. I do agree the upconvert is a nice feature but it is no way high def.

Kevin

Rico

It all depends on the source material.  A very recent movie, shot in high-def, but released on DVD and then upscaled won't look too bad.  It also depends a lot on your TV, size, room lighting, even eyesight, etc.  The thing they do with older films is remaster them, clean them up and then put them out on Blu-Ray.  So you get the added benefit of that, plus the high-def factor.  For example taking an older released version of a film and trying to upscale that will show a very big difference compared to a newer, updated Blu-Ray version.   Blu-Ray is still struggling a bit to find a foot hold, and the economy isn't helping.  Until the actual disc prices get close to DVD, many people will just be content with DVD. 

SPOCKFAN

My tv is 42" and I can at times notice a difference. The Blu- ray discs look amazing and in defence of blu-ray I only own 3 blu-ray discs so I havn't done much comparing. But the DVD's look great on the Blu-ray.